Expo West's Old Taco Gets a Mod to Roof Rack

Zam15

Explorer
Very clean, those pelican cases are great wish I had a set. :drool:
It looks like you are trying to cram as much stuff into the Tacoma as I try to. Hmmm that reminds me I need get get tougher springs :safari-rig:

RoundOut

Explorer
Awesome looking roof rack. I'm really liking the dimple-die, x-shaped, strength/style design on the sides. That is a great touch.

I'm curious why you didn't permanently mount your 2m antenna, since you drilled your roof for the rack. That seems like something you'd have made a tab for on the rack. I'm not bashing you, I hope you know, because I DON'T have the stones to drill my roof. If I did, I'd mount my 2m antenna permanently to the center of the roof. As it is now, I just do the mag mount, too.

In fact, I still have a set of Yakima towers for my 1989 Accord and our 2000 Siennan (both long gone). Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to shop for towers for my Tundra, as I'd like a removable safari rack of some kind some day, and I'd love to have some more lights up there like you have.

Again, VERY nice work!

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
RoundOut said:
I'm curious why you didn't permanently mount your 2m antenna, since you drilled your roof for the rack. That seems like something you'd have made a tab for on the rack. .

good question, very simply, i couldnt make up mind to go with a tab on the rack and a fixed ant or possibly a bracket that clamps to the rack with an electrically retracting ant. also, if i do a tab near the back which may look nicer, when folded down, how will it lay and where? i like the tab near the front side so folded back its fairly well protected but i dont like the way ant's look in the front when up. i also have minor concerns about the load on the rack, not the weight but the exact load im carrying and how. of course its setup for the 1550 boxes. but i dont have that in stone until i put some miles on. so the ant will be finished off when my R&D sort of speak is done..

jr..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan