Exrunners Xj

SixLug

Explorer
1998 Jeep Cherokee "Classic", 103K on the clock, 3" Skyjacker lift, 33" BFG MTs (which Im soon going to drop down to 31's of some sort), 8000# winch, and some kind of cool custom front bumper. This thing is in great shape. There are a few rock chips etc, but thats to be expected.

Needs: Drop pitman arm (*nevermind), SYE, full size spare, exhaust fixed, O2 sensor, new tires in a little while, and an oil change in a bit.

otherwise, Im PUMPED!
Spent a few hours cleaning it in and out today after I got it...its always fun getting a new ride. This will be my DD and a toy, so I must be good to it!

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

Update: 9-3-2008
Ok, so I have been doing small things to the Jeep the past little while to get it looking and performing a little better...as money allows, and not in any particular order (actually, the order depends on the cheapness..ha ha).

I cleaned the engine bay pretty well with Simple Green (great stuff, biodegradable, non-toxic, cleans everything) and water. This was after I put dielectric grease in every electrical connection in and under the engine bay and vehicle I could find.

Next I removed the rear sway bar for extra flex offroad. The front is still attached and seems to work just fine without the rear one keeping it company. I just spend a few extra minutes before trail time to take the links off, and Im sure this will get old very quickly, but for now it works.

I mounted my CB from my 4Runner on the ceiling of the Jeep with a different approach. A small write up is here, if interested: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17845

I corrected the steering issue...Since the Jeep has a lift and stock everything else, the steering wheel was turned to the right going straight...so I just adjusted the drag link.

Then I repainted my front bumper with spray on bed liner. Tough stuff, looks good, cheap. I also ground off the rust and cheesy chrome from the
crossbars on top of the winch and the drum and did them also.

Close up.
jeep6.jpg

Cross bars and you can see the inside flanges of the drum.
jeep7.jpg

Cruddy side view
jeep8.jpg

Behind the hood over the engine bay, there is a small weather strip that seals the back of the hood to the rest of the body. I removed most of this today, except two small sections about 6" long at each end. I then hammered down the strip of metal that held the weather strip. This will allow excess heat (which ALL XJ's HAVE!) to escape from the rear of the engine bay as well. I checked below this strip to scope out any electonics on the firewall that might get in trouble b/c of this, and found no threatened areas. Other XJers have done this and have had no problems and a noticeable temp drop, so we will see.

I took it to Wooly's Offroad this Labor Day weekend to see how it would fare, and it did much better than I anticipated, especially since I have open diffs and no rocker protection. This is the most technical terrain I have tried personally to date, so it was a blast...I know its not "overland style", but I enjoy both realms I guess...rock crawling and overland travel, which I want to do both of. The only problem is that since this trip, I want BIGGER tires and more lift...ha ha...but that is not in the cards for me now, so I will probably go down to 31's when these wear out for practicality. Excellent trip though...Couple of pics and a link here for this trip:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18366

DSCN1404-1.jpg

This pic doesnt give that ledge justice...it was a good 14-18" high.
DSCN1400-1.jpg

DSCN1334.jpg

All I have for now.

Last edited:

rwb0481

Observer
Lookin' good. I've always liked the Cherokees. I see you're in Murfreesboro. Ever go to Land Between the Lakes? I'm in Clarksville.

SixLug

Explorer
actually, the only legit park Ive been to is Windrock over near oak ridge. Around here, there a some local trails that Ive hit, but nothing amazing. Id love to shoot over there though and give it a whirl, that and maybe Wheelin in the Country, and Id REALLY love to give the TranAm trail through TN a go. I would love to do that, Ive heard some cool stuff about it.

I had some buddys that used to go to LBTL all the time and they invited me, but I could never find time, then I sold my 4Runner...Maybe we can plan something out sometime...

XJxplorer

Adventurer
Exrunner said:
Needs: Drop pitman arm, SYE, full size spare, new tires in a little while, and an oil change in a bit.

Welcome to the XJ side!! drop pitman arms are a no no for the xj's... Does it have an extended track bar? If not, installing one will cure your steering problems..

Congrats on your purchase! I just bought a Cherokee yesterday, too! But I won't hijack...

XJxplorer said:
drop pitman arms are a no no for the xj's... Does it have an extended track bar? If not, installing one will cure your steering problems..

:iagree:

I had an adjustable track bar on my last XJ, and it was great. Call Dirk at DPG offroad, he'll give you all the info you need on that subject.

I also see you want to switch to 31" tires... Good choice. Unless the gearing has been changed, I'd imagine those 33's are chugging your gas and power. And unless you want to hack up your fenders and wheel wells, with a 3 inch lift, 31" tires will give you more articulation.

Last edited:

juicexj24

Observer
Second the use of a quality trac bar. I run TnT Customs with the drop down bracket but I'm at 5.5" of lift. I don't run a drop pitman arm. If you were going to run on, a stock ZJ drops it about 1/2". But I have never had the need to run one. I run a Rusty's Tie Rod, Stock Drag link and OME Steering Stablizer and don't have any steering issues.
A real nice trac bar for the money is the JKS adjustable ones, I run one on my WJ with 3" of lift. Nice hard bushings and it will fit the stock track bar bracket just fine is a single sheer set up.

Juice

SixLug

Explorer
XJxplorer said:
Welcome to the XJ side!! drop pitman arms are a no no for the xj's... Does it have an extended track bar? If not, installing one will cure your steering problems..

Since Im new to XJ's, someone mind explaining the problem with a DPA? Im just curious...I know that some YJ kits come with them...does it have something to do with the fact that YJs are leafs up front and XJs are coil/linked? Thanks!

SixLug

Explorer
Purple People Eater said:
Congrats on your purchase! I just bought a Cherokee yesterday, too! But I won't hijack...

I had an adjustable track bar on my last XJ, and it was great. Call Dirk at DPG offroad, he'll give you all the info you need on that subject.

I also see you want to switch to 31" tires... Good choice. Unless the gearing has been changed, I'd imagine those 33's are chugging your gas and power. And unless you want to hack up your fenders and wheel wells, with a 3 inch lift, 31" tires will give you more articulation.

No worries! Post a pic man...Id like to see it. Im new to the XJ side and wouldnt mind seeing another new purchase...

Thanks for the info on the track bar, and yeah...Im hunting for some 31's already...the power is still reasonable, but drivability, mileage, and yes, some power, will be greatly appreciated once some smaller tires are on it. Ill keep the 33s for some muddin though... thanks man

Last edited:

SixLug

Explorer
juicexj24 said:
Second the use of a quality trac bar. I run TnT Customs with the drop down bracket but I'm at 5.5" of lift. I don't run a drop pitman arm. If you were going to run on, a stock ZJ drops it about 1/2". But I have never had the need to run one. I run a Rusty's Tie Rod, Stock Drag link and OME Steering Stablizer and don't have any steering issues.
A real nice trac bar for the money is the JKS adjustable ones, I run one on my WJ with 3" of lift. Nice hard bushings and it will fit the stock track bar bracket just fine is a single sheer set up.

Juice

Thanks for the info...I need it..ha...Ill look into all of these.

sandalscout

Adventurer
Nice ride man, there have been a lot of good, affordable cherokee's in middle tennessee lately! I got my own XJ recently, and know of a few others as well.

RWB, I'm in Clarksville too!

If you all are interested in running some trails in LBL, I'm game. I'm mostly stock right now, and I'm not really interested in anything too technical, but I like running the forest roads in LBL. Don't quite fit in with the traditional 4x4 crowd myself, so I don't currently run with anyone, and not really sure that Turkey Bay is for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears