F250 flatbed camper build

PDX_Jay

900w of solar now installed! used some 15 series 8020 to create a solid crossbar system for mounting (the panels are pretty big, so were feeling a bit too flimsy for my liking without support). Pretty happy with how it turned out, and should provide a bit more shading for the roof in the summer time (panels have a gap to allow airflow underneath). Went with parallel config for wiring, opting to prioritize the benefit of better partially shaded performance. However, ran all the cabling to the back together, so that I can easily switch them to series if I change my mind later. The charge controller on the Yeti Pro 4000 can handle it either way.

72d78040-e441-4324-8271-d291d51dd76f.JPG IMG_2461 Large.jpeg IMG_2457 Large.jpeg

PDX_Jay

Making a bit more progress on interior.

IMG_2559 Large.jpeg
Came up with my own latch system— as I didn't really like the look of slam latches for the kitchen drawers, didn't want the push button latches as if you forget to push them back in before you drive, they won't be secured, and the RV Labs locking drawer latches are expensive, and stick out from the drawers which isn't great in a tight space.

Using a handle cutout and an internal elbow catch seems to work well - we'll see how it works long term. If I really don't like them, I'll just pull off the drawer faces, and make new ones with slam latches instead.

IMG_2537 Large.jpeg

dstefan

Very nicely done set up!

Can you comment on your experience with bison in building the camper? I have heard some issues from some people in working with them or getting the result they were looking for.

PDX_Jay

opted to go with formica countertops - first time attempting a formica glue-up, and didn't go to badly. Had to take over the dining room, as my tiny garage is unheated, and too cold for the contact cement (truck is parked on the street, and I have an old one-car garage where i have my tools setup). So had to open all the windows in the house, run an electric space heater, and try to get the job done fast.

IMG_2597 Large.jpeg

IMG_2603 Large.jpeg

Also have the dinette benches mocked up - Still need to make some adjustments to the 80/20 framing underneath that supports everything, but everything going as planned. Wish I'd gone with a shorter Tern Overland window now, but far too late for that decision :) It'll be okay, just will need to make some sort of "fence" that I can drop in place if we have the dinette in bed mode, as otherwise it would be easy to roll into the window, and if the shade is down, damage that.

IMG_2607 Large.jpeg

Overall though, pretty happy with the direction things are going. Still haven't even started on the heating/plumbing, so a long way to go still - but visually it's at least looking like a camper now.

WW Cyclist

Amazing build so far. Love your attention to detail. Just curious if you have thought about GVWR on your F-250. I have a very similar build on a F-350 and I'm about #800 shy of my GVWR dry.

Attachments

• as she sits.jpg
    as she sits.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 21

PDX_Jay

Amazing build so far. Love your attention to detail. Just curious if you have thought about GVWR on your F-250. I have a very similar build on a F-350 and I'm about #800 shy of my GVWR dry.
nice truck! Is that the long wheelbase? Hard to tell with the Bowen bed on there. Mine was a short bed. Definitely going to be pushing up close to the GVWR on this. I guess I'll find out when I finish building, and can weigh the thing. Tried to keep weight reasonable as I built it. Framed everything I could in 10 series 8020, rather than 15 series, used 1/4" plywood wherever it wasn't required for structure (so walls are just the pink foam insulation, with 1/4" ply on them). Countertops are 5/8" ply, although have big cutouts for the sink and stove. Ceiling is 1/4" ply, with 1/4" strips Cabinets mostly aluminum extrusion, with 1/2" ply on the facing, and drawers are 1/2" ply with 1/4" bottoms. Battery system and water are obviously quite heavy - but mounted against the front of the camper, as far forward as possible without putting them into the garage. In the end, it's still heavy - just hoping I can slide in under GVWR (attempted to calculate weight of everything ahead of time, and it's gonna be close) . Also will be redoing the suspension once I know final weights, so I can get suspension built that prioritizes handling the camper on the truck full-time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior