FatCity F150 Pre-runner Expo build

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Awesome build! Just one question...How didthat fridge work out mounted to a solid maount back there? I would think ever bump would be transferred up to the innerards of the unit shaking it up, did the beer spew out when you opened it? LOL Are they that tuff?

FatCity

Observer
Awesome build! Just one question...How didthat fridge work out mounted to a solid maount back there? I would think ever bump would be transferred up to the innerards of the unit shaking it up, did the beer spew out when you opened it? LOL Are they that tuff?

Well, there's deffinitely an art to packing your beer in it. I havent perfected it yet, but I useually load a 30 pack at a time and leave it in the box.
I even pack it with an old t-shirt sometimes to help take up any open room.
However I still usually have a popped beer by the end of the day... Cleaning the cooler has just become a morning rituall when camping.

It quit working on me one time so I called Engel. The guy went thru the diognostics with me and it turned out the compressor crapped out.
I told him that it gets beat on pretty hard in the very back of an off road truck and he felt very confident that was not the problem. Just bad luck...

My other solution:
I have a 35qt. ARB fridge also that I mount in the center of the back seat and pack with canned beverages. I havent had a beer casualty yet in the smaller cooler mounted in the center of the truck.

Food gets packed well in the rear fridge now.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Those are some great photos. FatCity.... that name sounds familiar!!! Are you the same Fatcity that built that bad blue bronco before with rear steer?

jdholder

Explorer
Awesome build! I want to build almost the EXACT same thing, except with a 97-03 Expedition!! Big glass in front, lots of storage in the rear. I don't know if/where I could pop the rear shocks through or how they could mount, but it's something I've wanted to build!

Great job!

FatCity

Observer
Those are some great photos. FatCity.... that name sounds familiar!!! Are you the same Fatcity that built that bad blue bronco before with rear steer?

yep, thats me.

While I've got you on the phone... Props for all your trip reports. I really enjoy reading those.

Eric

Built it for John Reynolds about 10 years ago...

Attachments

• 131_0509_01_z+4_best_4x4_rigs+ford_bronco_fat_city.jpg
    131_0509_01_z+4_best_4x4_rigs+ford_bronco_fat_city.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

sniderexciderr

Observer
There was no lift when I picked it up originally. It appeared to me that the torsions had been dropped, and I'm pretty sure the rear comes with a block from the factory. That was also missing...
So my educated guess is that it was actually lowered a bit.
The picture in the first post was how it sat when I picked it up.

Plenty of room with the glass fenders, but the 37's will rub on the inner fender seam if you dont cut it out.

Since I went 4" wider on each side the tire doesnt come anywhere close the wheel well seam anymore.

Also, It had 3.55's and it killed the 5.4L.
I put 488's in it and it's much happier, still leaves a bit to be desired but thats the 5.4's fault, I wouldnt suggest going any lower.

Thanks!
I dig the low key look to. Right down to the stock wheels.

thanks. fenders wont be a problem. you have done exactly what i wanted to do "prerunner/ expo cross, i was looking at the dixon brothers long travle setup for the 4wd f150 but dont have the cash to do it yet. your build is inspiring for me!

Got Beer

Observer
Great looking truck. Nice approach to getting the build funding approved, stand next to a $60k truck and ask for half that amount.

My buddy runs Jeep Speed. I'll be the one looking over your good ideas at the next race.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Awesome build! I was hanging out in your shop in ventura as a dumb high school kid with the silver samurai back in 02 with luke ware lol. Same as then awesome work!!

KaiserM715

Adventurer
Very cool build.

I was “this close” to buying a new Ford Raptor F-150, I loved the warranty, but just couldn't get past the $60,000 plus price tag...

Hmm. I paid a lot less than that incl TTL.... Must be quite a bit of dealer mark-up in your area.

Last edited:

FatCity

Observer
Very cool build.

Hmm. I paid a lot less than that incl TTL.... Must be quite a bit of dealer mark-up in your area.

I didnt actually go in and haggle or anything. The manager walked up while we were looking at it and said it was 60K as it sat. 100% loaded and with the newer bigger motor...

I would have been pretty pissed had I bought that one and found out they were bringing the full 4 door out for 2011.
The guy swore to me there was never going to be a super crew Raptor...

KaiserM715

Adventurer
What's next for your truck?

I didnt actually go in and haggle or anything. The manager walked up while we were looking at it and said it was 60K as it sat. 100% loaded and with the newer bigger motor...
When the 6.2 came out, lots of places around here were acting like they were doing me a favor by giving me $10k over invoice. What a joke. Sounds typical...

I would have been pretty pissed had I bought that one and found out they were bringing the full 4 door out for 2011.
The guy swore to me there was never going to be a super crew Raptor...
That is why the majority of salesmen cannot be trusted :sombrero:

FatCity

Observer
What's next for your truck?

I picked up a Viair compressor and a 2-1/2 gallon tank I plan to mount under the bed somewhere next weekend.

We've got a bitchen, all off-road Baja camping trip planned for mid next month. About 1400 miles of dirt.
Going to tear it down toward the end of the month for a complete prep.
Last time we came back from Baja, litterally every nut and bolt had rattled it's way loose...:smiley_drive:

Cage is the next big thing. I've got big plans to tuck it all behind the interior panels and head liner. Coming this summer...

wrigh003

Wow, that is something else. Good work.

Given any thought to putting a cap on there? Seems to me that if the hoops for the rear suspension/ bed trays/ Engel were covered, it’d be even more of a sleeper. Get one with the side door/windows that swing up and you might be able to leave the fridge right where it is, plus keep dust/dirt grime down a little. You won't be sleeping in there, but not seen makes for not stolen.

Definitely not criticism, just something I thought of as I was looking at it- plus replying to say "good job" lets me find this thread more easily later when I wonder what else you've done.

:sombrero:

FatCity

Observer
Wow, that is something else. Good work.

Given any thought to putting a cap on there? Seems to me that if the hoops for the rear suspension/ bed trays/ Engel were covered, it’d be even more of a sleeper. Get one with the side door/windows that swing up and you might be able to leave the fridge right where it is, plus keep dust/dirt grime down a little. You won't be sleeping in there, but not seen makes for not stolen.

Definitely not criticism, just something I thought of as I was looking at it- plus replying to say "good job" lets me find this thread more easily later when I wonder what else you've done.

:sombrero:

Thanks,
I thought about a shell before. I agree it would look pretty cool and the anti theft aspect of it sounds great, but the inconvenience of loading and unloading gear ect. with a top on kinda turns me off...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12