Favorite Pork Rub

I am very partial to Dillo Dust..

but you cant buy it... It is a freebie thrown into your order sometimes when you purchase items from LaRue Tactical...

it is amazing/

snorkel54

Adventurer
For different cuts of roast or grilled pork, Penzeys Spices has a boatload of premixed blends in many different flavor profiles. http://www.penzeys.com/

Goya Criollo Mojo, available in latino food sections in grocery stores anywhere, is a good choice for a marinade. Any mustard based rub, marinade, or sauce works really well with pork too.

Of course, if you're asking about rubbing spice on meat to be smoked honestly with patience, this is not the place to learn how to BBQ.

rdraider

Adventurer
http://www.stubbsbbq.com/index.php

If you have the time read about the man. Like many from my beloved state, he was bigger than life. His sauces and rubs are the best in the state, therefore, the world!:sombrero:

BTW i'm just a little bit opinionated about Texas.

If your ever in Austin, be sure and catch some great bbq and live music, its a great venue. If you ever find yourself lost in the south plains and in Lubbock, take a spin down by the depot district and the folks at the Buddy Holly museum can direct you to the site of the original Stubbs BBQ, the city erected a statue in his honor. He would feed the musicians in town a free sunday brunch, or anybody that would come by, and the jam sessions were spontaneous.
BBQ just ain't right without the blues.

mutineer

Lacks that certain panache of 42 exotic ingredients mixed in a bowl bought in morroco

But here you go

Two parts emeril's essence
One part brown sugar or turbinado sugar
Add extra cayenne to taste

Gives a killer crust to the meat and the spice mixture gives a great full rounded flavor

Great on pork, chicken and other camp grillables

O

oO_Rogue_Oo

1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons fresh course ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
(to taste) 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

I normally coat the meat with a light coating of yellow mustard as a sort of glue to hold the rub; you can also use olive oil if you prefer

JohnMcD348

Observer
Old thread but I'll lend my bits for the sake of good eats.

If you're going to BBQ(Low n Slow) I've learned over the years that I can buy better than I can make and have tried quite a few. Some of my favorites are:

http://shop.homebbq.com/
He has alot of different rubs and spices and I use the RibRub on all my pork. Butts, Ribs mainly. Beef Rub is pretty good on Brisket.

http://www.plowboysbbq.com/

He was the recent winner of the American Royal his stuff is also great. I actually will use his Bovine Bold when I grill chicken wings. The wife loves them so much I'm not allowed to cook wings without it. After this past Christmas, they actually started selling it in the Bass Pro Shops stores.

I've known both of these guys for a few years and they're good people. I know alot of professional BBQ'ers and many of them actually go by my rule(actually I guess I went by there's) and buy more often than make.

If you're doing a basic roast, I have always loved plain old Adobo seasoning on the pork roast. rub it on, let it set for awhile and place it in the oven to roast.

With all my meats, whether I BBQ or grill/roast/cook, I always use a slather of some kind. Some people like to use plain mustard, some use squeeze margarine, some use Oils. My favorite is Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It doesn't have to be high end high dollar stuff. Buy it in bulk. Rub the oil on the meat first to act as a binding agent to help hold the rubs/seasonings on the meat while it's cooking. Also, with the meat, I like to inject prior to cooking. I will mix the rubs with juice. With Pork, I like to use Peach juice(nectar) and blend in a little of the rub. It helps to flavor the meat inside as it cooks . I do the same with Brisket but use Beef Broth instead. I haven't injected the Adobo as I think it would overpower the flavor of the meat. I heavy outside coating always seems to do the job.

mutineer

People way over do this stuff because they dig the theater of it

Dry rub

Three parts essence from that ewok looking dude from the food chanell (good stuff but if you say "BAM" your friends will punch you)
One part brown sugar
Cayenne pepper to taste

Massage that little dead piggy until he is covered in they stuff

Slow, and I mean slllloooooooowwww cook him with regular rotation so it caramelizes on all sides

I prefer hickory or mesquite but there are other religions

Fruit woods make a nice tasty smoke, but heat up you rub with a little more cayenne to balance ot out

should have told you

in a pinch you can short cut the operation a bit by upping the heat and putting soaked chips in a metal cup or a coffee and let them smoulder on the coals next to the meat

if you do it this way pull the poirk and the external crispies in with the softer warmer but a lttle less flavored bit you will have a rocking pulled pork

grown men will stand over the pan eating it with forks and dredged their fork through the drippins, you did get a pan to catch the dippins

get a little fresh tomato, chopped onions, a handful of basil and great about a half cup of good Romano cheese, someone comes at you with a green can of Kraft then strike him with and order him away from the house. Romano or parm comes from Italy, all esle is communist propoganda

simple meal

don't even need a roasting pan, get sopme real honest to god outta the damn dirt carrots, you know, the misshappen ugly ones, the ugly ones all show you the most love
about four pounds - cut 'em up obleisse, nice and big and assymetrical, get you a coule pf diffrerent colors of taters, purple and yukon gold comes to mind

about two pounds of each. Right now you need about a pint of some good peurto rican rum, limes and plenty of hole ice ice

once cut your veg is the base for your roast, racks are for food fairies , set the rubbed pork on the pile of veg

set you little cuppa smokes giong and in a couple of hours you are gonna be in pulled pork heaven

just set it out in a pile

spead out last sundays paper and that is you serving table, pile of veg with a bif *** serving for and a big *** pile of dead piggie with a serving fork

if you did it right no knives needed

and a **** ton easier than it sounds

outside procurement preptime is 30 minutes and cook time is two to four

Last edited:

ddog45

Adventurer
I think people over due their dry rubs. remeber most good bbq came from poor people in the south there were no fancy cuts of meat and no fancy spices. Just good slow and low cooking. Ive smoked two briskets in the last few weeks and I cooked them at 275 for 11 hours with magic dust dry rub and a couple extra handfulls of dark brown sugar, they were great.:chef:

JohnMcD348

Observer
Sometimes just plain ole Salt, Pepper and maybe a little Garlic powder(if that's your liking) are all you need. Throw it in and let it smoke and let the wood add the flavor.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
When I lived in the Bay Area, I used to get dry rub ribs from Nob Hill Grocery (small regional chain). I liked them so much I asked the butcher if I could get the dry rub and he went back and scooped about a pint from a 5 gallon bucket. I would put it on lots of things, but it was especially good on pork ribs. Not sure if Nob Hill is still even in business, but if I lived out West again I would definitely try to score some of that.

Alas, no Nob Hills out here and I haven't any idea what was in that rub - but it was awesome. My guess is it was something like equal parts crack and heroin with a dash of paprika. But that's just a guess.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Nob Hills . . . My guess is it was something like equal parts crack and heroin with a dash of paprika.

:xxrotflma

My favorite is simple course ground sea-salt. Give it a liberal dose (both sides) and let it sit for 15 - 20 minutes. Throw it on a hot grill (let it hit the grill pretty hard -- so it knocks the majority of the salt off). When you roll the pork over, let it hit the grill pretty hard again . . . works equally well with beef.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle