FG84 Camper Build

Maninga

Adventurer
Sounds like things are progressing along.

Make sure you keep on top of the design and engineering costs. The CAD hours can add up fast. Make sure everyone understands the scope of the effort.

Yeah, I checked in with them in relation to costs. They've indicated that there's a bit of fat in their original quote and they'll wear the changes. I believe they've spent a lot of time talking about it in the background and doing bits of design work. I think for them, it's a build that's of personal interest to them that it work, it's not something they've seen before hence want to see it done right for their personal satisfaction as well as mine.

Still, invariably I'm expecting some overrun. But will be told up front if it's going to happen.

dlh62c

Explorer
Still, invariably I'm expecting some overrun. But will be told up front if it's going to happen.

When I was researching my build, I had to pay sales tax on the materials purchased, but not on the labor to design or build up the camper. I'm not sure how things are done in Australia though.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
When I was researching my build, I had to pay sales tax on the materials purchased, but not on the labor to design or build up the camper. I'm not sure how things are done in Australia though.
It's pretty simple for us... we just pay through the nose for everything!!!

Maninga

Adventurer
10% tax on everything (goods & labour), plus whatever price differential there is. As an example, I got some stackable pots and pans from amazon the other day. Even after shipping them from the US, $50 by itself, I saved over 1/3rd the price locally.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
10% tax on everything (goods & labour), plus whatever price differential there is. As an example, I got some stackable pots and pans from amazon the other day. Even after shipping them from the US, $50 by itself, I saved over 1/3rd the price locally.

In North Carolina it is 7.5% on parts with no tax on labor. Only the final customer has to pay tax.

So when I buy parts for my truck build, I don't have to pay tax but when I (eventually) sell it, that will be taxable for the buyer.

Maninga

Adventurer
Got some photos of the current build status. Beginnings of the wheel carrier is in, it's a good size cage being built for them. Expect to put a winch in there later on to help lift the spares up, likely with a slide to help get them off the ground.
013.jpg

To cope with moving the body back, we'd decided to angle the rear of the camper to keep the departure angle. Turns out they modified the frame to include the angled section. So looks more like a shallow bowl now. Will form a good barrier if anything decides to come up against the read. Total overhang is 2m, we've still got enough space left for the actuators to sit back there and be legal. Phew!!!
014.jpg

The final drawings for camper body should be started either next week or one after. After that, visible bits should start moving a little faster.

Gatsma

Adventurer
Lookin' pretty solid, Joe! Can't wait for all the "good bits" to start getting stuck to that stout subframe!

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Got some photos of the current build status. Beginnings of the wheel carrier is in, it's a good size cage being built for them. Expect to put a winch in there later on to help lift the spares up, likely with a slide to help get them off the ground.
013.jpg

Hi Joe,

I reckon you could just about roll them up one of those alloy motorcycle ramps they sell at Aldi or Repco.....might be less hassle.

Are you up here at the moment? Don't forget those spare shift cables I kept aside for you......they're at home in my garage.

Kind regards John.

Maninga

Adventurer
Hi Joe,

I reckon you could just about roll them up one of those alloy motorcycle ramps they sell at Aldi or Repco.....might be less hassle.

Are you up here at the moment? Don't forget those spare shift cables I kept aside for you......they're at home in my garage.

Kind regards John.

Hey John

I'll take a look at the ramps. Off to another caravan show this weekend, see what I can find. Solar, batteries and the diesel appliances are main focus at the moment.

Haven't forgotten about the cables. Still in Melbourne unfortunately, new jobs been keeping me occupied here. Been up to a Brisbane for a couple of day trips, but want to take heather up next time and have a weekend away. Be good to catch up if you're around.

Joe

Maninga

Adventurer
Some updated photos came through of the tyre carrier. Just waiting for some last bits of machining to bolt them in place and frame is done.

013-1.jpg

011.jpg

I was having a long chat with Owen last night (no chat with him is ever short). The issue of weight came up. I'd been expecting all along that it'll end up being around the 5 tonne mark, but was likely a little delusional in hoping that it'd come in a little under that, just so I can park it out front of my house (inner yuppie suburb). Being able to register it at 4.49 tonne means it's a car and can park anywhere. If we stick to the current plans, there's no hope of that. I'd currently estimate it sitting around the 3.3 mark, with body, water overkill, extra fuel, internals yet to go.

5 tonne is still the level we're looking at.

Now, if I can get it home by Christmas, I'll be a happy person.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Out of curiosity, how would a parking inspector (or anyone else) know the difference?

I have parked my F250 on a lot of streets around Melbourne (I'm in an inner - not-so-yuppie - suburb), it is registered with a 5200kg GVM.
I get it doesn't look as much like a heavy duty vehicle as yours, but have I just been lucky???

Maninga

Adventurer
I think it's all to do with appearances. Mine will always look like it was intended to be heavy, if it got registered as a car people around here would be surprised and I've already been told people would complain (they already do about bins, people parking in front of their houses, stupid stuff). Talked with council about it, their normal inspector wouldn't care, but if someone complained,they have to investigate and I would be fined if registered as a truck.

It's actually part of the reason we're thinking of moving. We rent here, looking at buying a place that has space to store the truck and have a garage. If anyone's looking for a house in Arizona, will have 2 places coming on the market soon.

Joe

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Wow, fair enough, some people just have a bit too much time available in their day perhaps.
In the area I live in, I think most (including me) are just happy when they wake up to find their vehicle isn't sitting on bricks. Pick your poison I suppose.

Looking forward to following the rest of your build.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Out of curiosity, how would a parking inspector (or anyone else) know the difference?

I have parked my F250 on a lot of streets around Melbourne (I'm in an inner - not-so-yuppie - suburb), it is registered with a 5200kg GVM.
I get it doesn't look as much like a heavy duty vehicle as yours, but have I just been lucky???

I shudder to think what would happen with my Fuso! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online