FG84 Camper Build

LeishaShannon

Adventurer
Does Victoria have annual inspections for vehicles over 4.5t ? Parking on the street and avoiding the need for annual inspections were the main motivation for keeping ours under 4.5t. The $500/yr or so it saves on rego is handy too!

Maninga

Adventurer
Wow, fair enough, some people just have a bit too much time available in their day perhaps.
In the area I live in, I think most (including me) are just happy when they wake up to find their vehicle isn't sitting on bricks. Pick your poison I suppose.

I've had chats with some people around here about it. I think a lot of them just have so much invested in their houses, place just round the corner went for around 12M not long ago, 1.5M is an average price, they don't want anything that'll spoil the atmosphere.

I shudder to think what would happen with my Fuso! :)

I walked past your fuso at expo earlier in the year, was good to take a look around it. You'd be right for a few days, maybe a week. Still, plenty of more interesting places if you ever want to bring it over.

Maninga

Adventurer
Does Victoria have annual inspections for vehicles over 4.5t ? Parking on the street and avoiding the need for annual inspections were the main motivation for keeping ours under 4.5t. The $500/yr or so it saves on rego is handy too!

Not that I'm aware of, emailed vicroads about it last week to make sure. Rego is around 800 for it, so not much difference there. So only real need for car status is parking at this house. Though wife will also need to get her LR license.

Flys Lo

Adventurer
Vic doesn't. They go through the same roadworthy inspection as cars (it only happens at change of ownership - but very thorough inspection).

I don't know about other states, but in Victoria, because I have farm property, for which my truck is used for, registration is ~$350 a year. My BMW motorbike is ~$700. The day we can get consistent (and hopefully sensible) regulations between our states on vehicles will be a good one.

yabanja

Explorer
Vic doesn't. They go through the same roadworthy inspection as cars (it only happens at change of ownership - but very thorough inspection).

I don't know about other states, but in Victoria, because I have farm property, for which my truck is used for, registration is ~$350 a year. My BMW motorbike is ~$700. The day we can get consistent (and hopefully sensible) regulations between our states on vehicles will be a good one.

Wow! Those are some big numbers. I just renewed my reg. in Utah $88. :)

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Wow, $1150 (inc ~$350 CTP) in QLD @ 4.49ton and $1900 (inc ~$1200 CTP) for 6ton

Shannon..... That's for a 6 t truck rego in Queensland.... Now you see the benefit of doing the pass through and other mods so that you can reclassify a 6t truck as a Motorhome in Queensland. Cost is nearly halved.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Wow! Those are some big numbers. I just renewed my reg. in Utah $88. :)
I am really lucky, as I live in the ACT where we have the highest registration costs in the country!!!
For a 6 tonne truck, registered as a commercial vehicle, it costs $3200/year. If the truck is classified as a motorhome then the cost comes down to $1200/year. And that's as good as it gets here!
Add to that, any truck over 4.5 tonne has to go over the government pits every two years, for which there is an additional $130 inspection fee.
So... don't complain to me about your registration costs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Maninga

Adventurer
I am really lucky, as I live in the ACT where we have the highest registration costs in the country!!!
For a 6 tonne truck, registered as a commercial vehicle, it costs $3200/year. If the truck is classified as a motorhome then the cost comes down to $1200/year. And that's as good as it gets here!
Add to that, any truck over 4.5 tonne has to go over the government pits every two years, for which there is an additional $130 inspection fee.
So... don't complain to me about your registration costs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Once we buy our house down here, you're welcome to get it registered using our place as a base address. Of course, that would mean it'd need to be normally down here and might slow down the build process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior