FG's in Action

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
4244576410_cb4920eddd_o.jpg

Just found this pic on ebay.com.au of all places when I was looking at secondhand trucks. We used to call it the moon bus. Now for sale by the owners in Cairns, Far North Queensland. Anyway I thought it was a good action shot anyway. John.

oka boy

Observer
A TOTALYY UNRELATED QUESTION for engineer are you really still cooking the billy tea? I had a discussion with some South african friends and they seem to think that the name is just a commercial gimmick,needless to say my reputation balances on you're answear.....
Thanks
Joe

engineer

Adventurer
Sure do!!! Tell your South African mates it's no gimmick.
Mick Barnes is from Longreach and he started the company 29 years ago.
It is tradition that we do it everyday, somewhere on our tour.
sc0002a742.jpg

1Engine

Observer
IMG_0034.jpg

This rig is found at Cooktown Crossing near Mt Carbine FNQ.

The steel frame is one way of making the accommodation area difficult to remove & therefore meets the requirement to register it as a motorhome.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
looks great with those wheels/tires and lift. In a previous post I found they are about 35" tall and it looks like they are on Stockton or ATW wheels.

Yes, those are 35" Toyo M/T on Stockton's. No lift (stock suspension). The plywood deck was for the White Rim trip.

whatcharterboat

I know there is a few pics of this SWB FG649 bus around already in this thread (and others) but just came across these today and thought they were worthy.

4553957340_c95c70fdc5.jpg

4553319979_32c906d355.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Yeah. I didn't really mean that Thom, but it certinly looks like thy're getting into the whole retirement thing in a big way. I can tell you they both worked very hard for the last 35 years to be able to sit on that bluff at Lesotho.
4564866627_e9c6e0d361_o.jpg

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
^^^ That is really cool. I think I would ditch that bed, and just extend the cab all the way back. What a cool truck... Wonder how many it seats...

whatcharterboat

Hi Pete,

Have you got any more pics of it? Did you see the other side? Was the door on the driver's side in the same position or was it right at the back?

Thank's for posting....talk about perfect timing....we're just looking at building one at the moment but the new FG 84 DEW doesn't look as easy to cut as the old model . Don't know about that much overhang on the tray either. Looks like they should have sacrificed some length.

Ford Prefect,

That could seat up to 11 but it looks like only 9.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan