Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I installed the lights. Rather than using the lights that came with the Harbor Freight frame kit, I installed tail lights that are correct for the M416A1:

LightsInstalled1_zpsf36e0159.jpg

And although the original military trailers had reflectors instead of side marker lights, I've installed military-style side markers to comply with lighting regulations in my state:

LightsInstalled2_zpsf5a58370.jpg

TheJosh

Explorer
I made up a pair of brackets to attach the tub end of the tailgate cables to:

TailgateBrackets1_zps8c8ae75b.jpg

TailgateBrackets2_zps414069f2.jpg

The fiberglass end panel is plenty strong enough to support weight on the tailgate, here's the 225-lb gorilla test:

TailgateBrackets5_zps6fec4d8c.jpg

The aftermarket fiberglass tailgate creaked a little under the weight of this test, but the tub was solid.

There are more photos of the tailgate installation in the main build thread at the Trailer Adventuring forum: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119.html

Incredible job and great craftsmanship!

Any chance you can make another set of these brackets for sale?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Next up: replacing the cardboard mockup fender with actual fenders. I've got a pair of 13"-wide round M100 style fenders, and also in this photo you can see the beginnings of the 13"-wide M416-style fenders I'm making.

FenderBlanks1_zps1a3df936.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished up the fenders today. On the right are stock NOS M416 fenders. In the middle are the pair of 13" wide M416-style fenders I made (stock M416 fenders are only 9.75" wide). On the left are the 36" diameter x 13" wide fenders I bought; I trimmed the bottoms off so they'd be the correct height.

AllFenders1_zpsb8a91f79.jpg

AllFenders2_zpsb327a2f6.jpg

I also welded extension flanges on the inside of the round fenders so they'll mount up to the same bolt holes as the
M416-style fenders, that way I don't have to put two different sets of holes in the side of the tub to test the two
different types of fenders. If you look closely at the round fenders, you can see an angled flange inside them, that
flange matches the flange inside the M416-style fender.

I'll get them bolted up tomorrow, lots of photos then.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
You sure do work fast!

You know what, it took me far longer to make up and weld in the flange extensions in the round fenders than it did to completely make the M416-style fenders. The M416-style fenders are simple, I probably spent 45 minutes total making both of them. Putting the flange extensions in the round fenders involved a lot more time welding/grinding welds (about 30" of weld in each fender). I think I spent almost 2 hours on the M100-style fenders :(.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Got the fenders bolted on this morning. First some photos of the M416-style wide fenders:

FendersM416-2_zps31f9059c.jpg

FendersM416-3_zps0c6bb78b.jpg

FendersM416-1_zps8ce18057.jpg

And got the front rack bolted on this morning, although it needs a few shims to perfectly level it out. In these photos the coupler is the HF ball coupler that comes with the trailer frame kit, but converted to a receiver mount.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
And some photos of the M100-style wide fenders:

FendersM100-2_zps0f676029.jpg

FendersM100-3_zps18ec52fa.jpg

FendersM100-1_zps3f7a2014.jpg

In these photos the coupler in the front receiver is a TSC 3-Axis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears