Finally Upgraded!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
From my 35mm film SLR and P&S Nikon Digital to...

Mlachica's used Canon 20D and a Canon EF 28-135 IS USM lens!

I'm looking at a nice "L" zoom lens to round out my Moto/Cruiser package for travel!

Needless to say, I'm pretty happy...hopefully it'll be a good quality starter package in a DSLR.

So, expect to see more of me here, and hopefully you professional photo gods won't get tired of my newbie questions!

:coffeedrink:

-H-

Last edited:

articulate

Expedition Leader
Well good.

I'm going to need more of this:
269920803_mmJxD-M.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
yeah, finding the right long zoom will be interesting.

My first thought would be the excellent 70-200mm F4L, but you are nearly that long with your current lens. You might actually consider going wide first, as with the magnification factor of the 20D, you are at 216mm already. The 17-40mm F4L is really good and reasonable too.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Congrats!

Did you take the new gear with you to Mexico or is that beach shot from the old gear?

That 28-135 seems like a workable length for most stuff. My traveling kit is a 24/50/105 on film and that'll cover like 95% of anything I do. How about throwing in a 16 to 20mm fixed length, if there's a beast out there like that for Canon?

Mark, do I need to inject my $0.02 about being disappointed on the move from film or is that horse dead enough? :)

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The Mexico shots were all from my Nikon Coolpix L3...which does a decent enough job...but just wasn't cutting it anymore. The lag time was killing me...especially with taking photos of my kiddo! I'm also really looking forward to the IS lens capability...I hope it works as well as advertised.

I looked at the 70-200mm lens....and kindof thought the same thing, Scott. I'll check out the wide lens.

Unfortunately, the gear nut in me just really likes the nice, white L series long lenses....

Then a gitzo tripod; new roof platform for the troopy....and so on....

:D

-H-

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Nice!

I really like my 70 - 200 (which, interestingly enough, used to reside on the 20D that you now have....), but it really is a bit long for day to day use.

I think wide would be good.

articulate

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Mark, do I need to inject my $0.02 about being disappointed on the move from film or is that horse dead enough? :)
I left the party, and auctioned my dead horse-beating stick on ebay.

Need any Provia 100? I've got a box of it in the fridge. :ylsmoke:

articulate

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
I trust you will pull out the old girl and squeeze off a few frames this summer.
Only you could make shooting film sound so . . . sexy.

I think I'll do that.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
articulate said:
Only you could make shooting film sound so . . . sexy.

I think I'll do that.
For all the chest puffing and stomping around, I see the whole issue as a means to an end. There are times when digital imaging works best and others when slowing down and taking a photograph is the right thing to do (in my head photography is mostly a mental centering thing). In all honesty, if I sold both my kidneys and accumulated the money, I'd have been first in line for a D3. But don't tell anyone, can't let my image as an old curmudgeon be jeopardized.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior