First steps on the DII build

Rocky Crag

Observer
We've had our '04 DII for just over a year. We've really enjoyed wheeling and adventuring and hope to start some mods now.

When off roading the DII's big hind quarters became a notable issue. Became especially apparent when the wife bent the lower rear qtr panel coming off a rock at Cleghorn in Socal.

So first step is some protection. Had the local indy rover shop install a Greg Davis bumper I'd bought several months back. I haven't found time to learn to weld so thanks to them for the help. They did throw on a Safari Gard front diff guard as well and rerouted the exhaust. I've since installed a QT Service rear diff guard.

Other mods will hopefully come soon. Sliders and probably an OME 2". I like the looks of taller but want to still be able to get it in the garage. Also, still have two years on CPO warranty and don't want to start in to drivetrain mods till that runs out. Wheels and tires with the lift and eventually front winch bumper.

Enjoy following the threads here and glad to have something to share.

Craig

Attachments

• GD bumper 2.JPG
    GD bumper 2.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 295
  • GD bumper 5 (Small).JPG
    GD bumper 5 (Small).JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 229

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
On the right track- Greg's bumpers are the best- I've had several. In fact removed a SG rear to install his. The lift doesn't interfere w/ the warranty. Enjoy.

muskyman

Explorer
I would start looking for some 04 16" rims...the 18" tires dont have enough sidewall to cushion the ride and the short sidewalls tend to get damaged off-road.

Rocky Crag

Observer
16"s are the plan. Plenty of them around just waiting to save up the pennies so I don't have wheels sitting around waiting for tires, then tires waiting for lift, etc. Haven't commited to alloy or steel yet.

M

MuddyOval

Alloys are plentiful and cheap, the DII steel wheels are kind of expensive but well made. Just avoid those cheap chinese ones sold under various names that aren't hub-centric and have a messed-up offset.

Rocky Crag

Observer
MuddyOval- By DII steel wheels you're talking about the ones from Atlantic British vs ProComp or Cragar or something. These ones from Trekoutfitters look hub centric, am I right? Thanks.

Rocky Crag

Observer
Sorry. These ones. I know that's a DI but the site says the have them for "all Land Rovers except Freelander".

Attachments

• tire_03.jpg
    tire_03.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

peter

Observer
MuddyOval- By DII steel wheels you're talking about the ones from Atlantic British vs ProComp or Cragar or something. These ones from Trekoutfitters look hub centric, am I right? Thanks.

I have the ones from AB. Are those high quality? They were a little pricey at 100 a wheel, but there are not many options out there.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Craig,

Welcome to the portal!

If you decide to keep the 18's since you already have them you have a couple of options that I can think of 275 65 18 roughly a 32" in either the BFG All Terrain or the Maxxis Buckshot, both can be found on ebay.

This is the Maxxis.
DSC06533.jpg

M

MuddyOval

ProComp, American Racing, Trek, various house brands- they're all made by a Chinese company called Unique. They are not good. AB carries GENUINE ones and they rock- just make sure it's the Land Rover brand ones and not the other ones- which they also carry. The Genuine rover ones are expensive, but you own a nice truck and it's worth doing it right- which means hub centric, proper bolt pattern (many sell non-metric wheels that are 'close' but not exactly right), good bead retention and a finish that doesn't rust in a year. It's worth the extra.

M

MuddyOval

Had any problems with the Mach 5's coming apart? A friend of mine who races a DII in Europe broke the centers out of two of them first time out.

Scott Brady

Founder
I like that Greg Davis bumper. Pretty clean and must significantly improve departure. On my 2001 (sold), even with larger tires and OME, I really beat the rear bumper up.

What are your travel plans with the DII?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Anybody have any opinions on using P-38 steel wheels? I have 1, and was thinking of getting another 4. I think I need to switch to steel, because my aluminum wheels are getting destroyed by rocks. Not just the appearance, but the outer lip is getting taken off. I doubt any shops would put tires on these rims anymore. I'm thinking steel might hold up better. Not sure if the P-38 steel wheels are strong enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan

Members online