First steps on the DII build

M

MuddyOval

I've known several people who have used the P38 wheel. They seem pretty decent.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Had any problems with the Mach 5's coming apart? A friend of mine who races a DII in Europe broke the centers out of two of them first time out.

Saying that the rims on my D90 were 8yrs old and still going strong when I swapped them out for Stazworks double beadlockers.

Last edited:

AZBrad

Anybody have any opinions on using P-38 steel wheels? I have 1, and was thinking of getting another 4. I think I need to switch to steel, because my aluminum wheels are getting destroyed by rocks. Not just the appearance, but the outer lip is getting taken off. I doubt any shops would put tires on these rims anymore. I'm thinking steel might hold up better. Not sure if the P-38 steel wheels are strong enough.

I wheel a P-38 and use Chevy Camaro steel wheels c.1990ish? A search of Rangerovers.net would probably turn up several discussions of them. They work well and are available cheap. Hope this helps.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
The Mach 5 name & their design is now owned by Devon 4x4 in the UK. Matt Lee sold it to them after he closed his business. Devon are now producing the rims and selling with UK road use certification. I believe they did some re-engineering for this and they have full control over weld quality, this was the biggest issue in the past as far as I'm aware. Saying that the rims on my D90 were 8yrs old and still going strong when I swapped them out for Stazworks double beadlockers.

I think you ought to check with Matt on that one as he might be a tadge upset...

LandyAndy

Adventurer
I think you ought to check with Matt on that one as he might be a tadge upset...

As I said..... that's what I understood to have happened..... didn't say it was correct.... gossip and all that.....

Anyway..... I have 2 sets of Mach 5's, one 8yrs old and the other 6mths old.... so, I'm not knocking them.... there :wings:

And.... I also have a custom offset beadlock that Matt made me as a trial fit for my D90.... then he forgot he was supposed to make me 4 more and shut the business down without making them.... oops.... so, after waiting 12mths for him/Simon Buck to get things going again I got some from Stazworks. Still didn't stop me buying a set for the D2.

Last edited:

pangaea

Adventurer
A guy I used to wheel with here in Colorado had some Mach 5s on his 90 for years. His truck was primarily a rock crawler used on tough trails like Independence and Blanca all the time and never had problems that I know of.... FWIW.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
As I said..... that's what I understood to have happened..... didn't say it was correct.... gossip and all that.....

Anyway..... I have 2 sets of Mach 5's, one 8yrs old and the other 6mths old.... so, I'm not knocking them.... there :wings:

And.... I also have a custom offset beadlock that Matt made me as a trial fit for my D90.... then he forgot he was supposed to make me 4 more and shut the business down without making them.... oops.... so, after waiting 12mths for him/Simon Buck to get things going again I got some from Stazworks. Still didn't stop me buying a set for the D2.

No worries

The truth of the matter is thus:

A couple of years ago or so Matt offered the manufacturing process to D4x4 but a price couldn't be agreed. Matt then sold the it to a third party who gave D4x4 an exclusive UK sales deal. That third party went bust after about two years and Matt bought the manufacturing machinery at the winding up sale. Matt now produces the Mach 5 rim. There is no exclusive UK deal with any retailer so D4x4 sell them but then so do TOR4x4 (for less money and they sell them worldwide).
The rims have always been road legal in the UK and Europe
There have never been build quality issues or a 'spate' of failures of any indvidual part of the rim - albeit anything breaks under the right abuse!
D4x4 have never 're-invented' the Mach 5
The Mach 5 remains one of the very best steel wheels on the world market

I have no connection with the business at all

LandyAndy

Adventurer
OK... thanks for clearing that up.... the note about the 're-engineer' from D44 came from a reliable source... what ever.... :rolleyes:

Nice to know about TOR4x4, I'll be needing another set of D2 rims for the wifes truck once we sell the F150 & get her an '04 D2.

Cheers,
Andy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan