First trip report "bodie ghost town" this is a test, only a test

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
I popped in a movie on my laptop and watched "No country for old men" and waited for the Bear to rip my camper apart and eat me.:chowtime:

Great pictures! Love your report, nice rig too. :) The above gave me a good laugh. Thanks for taking the time to write your report.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nice report. Bodie and the surrounding areas are just spectacular. I was up there a few days ago and it was a real bummer , not stopping in.

mkitchen

Explorer
What Luck

I just want to know how you live such a good life that you can get Bodie all to yourself? I have been there a few times and always share it with too many other folks and the last visit was with too many biting bugs as well.

It sounds like you had a really good trip and I enjoyed reading about it. Hope that truck and camper give you lots of great excursions.
Mikey

DOCBRONSON

DRIFTER
Again thank you all for your wonderful comments. I do apologize for the delay in finishing this little story (Bodie was the best part anyway).

I have been busy installing a solar panel on the camper and just returned from a seven day trip with my son on the WABDR trail, the Lewis and Clark rout through the center of Washington (more on that later).

This is the last leg of my journey. Although Bodie was the highlight of the trip, I had one more stop, Virginia City. Again this town is a tourist trap but it does hold a lot of history.

I left Bodie at around 10:00 a.m. and headed north on the 395. I stopped in Carson city and had the Ford fully serviced, all fluid and filters, transmission, transfer case and front and rear axles. Half a day later, I rolled into Virginia City. I had been there maybe 20 years ago when I visited Lake Tahoe with a girlfriend but didn't remember much.

Here are just a few pictures.

6055020153_976e7f4b6a_b.jpg

6055580852_6463c7bcdc_b.jpg

6055030565_ebc129cb92_b.jpg

6055577956_97f1b04ed0_b.jpg

6059019065_1d2b457d26_b.jpg

6059016439_19274dd04f_b.jpg

The infamous suicide table!

6059021563_112d3cfd92_b.jpg

6059571830_5d8152e738_b.jpg

Loved this old dude he really played the part.

6059508202_8dc1d548d5_b.jpg

I spent most of the day wandering up and down the main street stepping into the shops and taking a few pictures. My camera started acting strange, a vibrating sound and the image jumping up and down in the display screen. I would turn it off and back on and sometimes it would work, sometimes not at all. Maybe time for a better one.

I had dinner in the camper and made small talk with an older couple on vacation from Wisconsin. The interest in the camper is amazing, no wonder I have never seen a FWC advertisement, word of mouth from (I'm sure) proud owners all over the place. Soon after I cleaned up, dropped the top and got back on the 395 north.

I spent the night off another dirt road just outside Susanville. Tried to take some pictures but the camera wasn't cooperating. The night was a little strange, I kept hearing movement outside the camper and thought I had seen something but couldn't make out what it was. Couldn't fall asleep for awhile, then finally drifted off.

The next morning I decided to just take it easy. Made a nice breakfast and hiked around the area for awhile. I was about four hours from my friends house in Oregon and my final destination.

I have made a few notes on some of the things I will need for my extended journey. Hopefully the truck and camper will be completed in the next month or so. I have gotten to know the truck and camper well. This was a two fold trip. First, like I stated earlier, I wanted to get to know the truck and its needs. I also wanted to see if the camper could accommodate my needs, and it did. This trip has provided me with idea's for items I had never even thought of. It seems each time I go on a small trip I discover more things I need or could use to make the journey easier or more enjoyable.

Now that the solar panel has been installed the last items on the agenda will be a double swing out on the back bumper for another spare tire and jerry cans. I'm hoping to be finished with that in a few weeks. Then the real journey begins, a year maybe two on the road from Mexico to Alaska and as much of the U.S. as I can see.

Thanks for looking and listening. Live long, Play hard and enjoy our world.
Doc.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks like a spectacular trip! I love your "go with the flow" mindset.

And to answer your question about bears in Bodie: I have been in the area several times while backpacking and there definitely should be bears in bodie and the surrounding wilderness. Even in the summer it's cold there!

If you're ever in NorCal again, you should visit Nevada City, CA. It's a great little mountain mining town with lots of character off of highway 49. It has a wonderful blend of small town charm and San Francisco art and ideas. Really neat area that appears to be very similar to your pictures of Virginia City.

DOCBRONSON

DRIFTER
This is what I like about this forum, lot's of information on places to go and see. Thanks Allof75 for the info on Nevada City, I will put it on my list of places to see. Oh and thanks for the Bear report. I have since ordered Bear spray recommended by a friend for peace of mind.:elkgrin:

Allof75

Pathfinder
Good Idea! When I was in active bear country in Vancouver this July we used bells, because apparently it warns them you're coming.. I don't know. We also had horns. You should have seen the bear-boxes they had on the West Coast (hiking) Trail up there! I've never even seen a bumper that thick! Luckily we never saw any.

But I digress, really nice rig! My friend has a '93 bronco that he's trying to do the same thing with, but the lack of bed makes it interesting....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger