FJ: Sleep Inside or tow teardrop trailer?

xCSx

Adventurer
Hey all, I have my mind set on an all white FJ 2010 or newer, and want to use it for a good 3-6 month road trip in the USA. That brings me to thinking about the sleeping arrangements.... Does anyone sleep inside their FJ? RTT? Teardrop trailer? What would be best
My gf and I are not very large, and I am only 5'8 and she is 5'2.

mkitchen

Explorer
I like the trailer idea

I have an AT Horizon and have been very happy with it. I would have gone with the offroad teardrop, either from AT or SoCal but their teadrops are a bit too short for me (I am 6'7"). I do have a longer TD for road trips so I do have quite a bit of experience with them.
The reason for suggesting a trailer is that it sounds like you are going to be on the road for some time and having a bit of space and being able to make a base camp when needed is a nice option. Also, even the best of relationships need some space and it's hard to get that space when camped out every night in the back of a vehicle. The trailers tow nicely and there are few places that I would not take the trailer that I would drive the Tacoma.
Everything has it drawbacks. The greatest freedoms are by travelling on foot or bicycle and ranging up to the huge RV's that we see everywhere. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages. You just need to decide what will work for the two of you. Best of luck.
Mikey

My off road setup

2rypv1d.jpg

For our bike related trips, we seldom travel without the teardrop

6sszz5.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
If you are solo and short enough then remove the back seats and you can do a sleep inside on the FJC.
If that doesn't work I would go with a teardrop over any other trailer or RTT...the reason is you are moving each day and setup/teardown becomes a grind.
Also I really would recommend an awning as you never know where shade will be and it also makes a great wind/bug shelter if you get sides.

You could probably do it. I'd actually wait and tell you to try after you get it. There are a few other hurdles that may interfere with your plans but you'll have to check those out and decide for yourself. I'm 6'1" and I could only fit diagonal and with little (like and inch or so) room to move around in mine, without taking seats out.

loup407

Adventurer
As Lance mentioned, removing the rear seats is a real option, I haven't had my back seats in for years. However, if you'll be on the road for an extended period of time, its nice to be comfortable. I've had an AT Horizon for a while and have put a LOT of miles on it. It's been the best investment. I have an awning on my FJ's roof rack and one on the trailer and they both are frequently deployed. It's great to be able to create instant shade.

mkitchen

Explorer
X's 3 on the awning

I didn't think of the awning part but it really is big comfort point. I also agree with the TD suggestion over a RTT type trailer, I just don't fit in them, too tall for the bed.
Mikey

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Why not just a tent or sleep on the ground...

I have slept in my truck and LC before and it is always stuffy and hot...

I rarely use a tent in the west here...good sleeping bag and pad...nothing like staring at the stars

xCSx

Adventurer
For longer trips, setting up a tent every day can get very tiresome, especially when you just want to be able to lay down when you want. Also a teardrop essentially stays cleaner since it is more off the ground.

I really like the teardrop the adventure duo uses.

I would see with the back seats removed if sleeping in the truck would be a good option, but I figure we may need the room for storage as well... either way I still need to save up! A Teardrop is costly.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
For longer trips, setting up a tent every day can get very tiresome, especially when you just want to be able to lay down when you want. Also a teardrop essentially stays cleaner since it is more off the ground.

I would see with the back seats removed if sleeping in the truck would be a good option, but I figure we may need the room for storage as well... either way I still need to save up! A Teardrop is costly.

I agree...and agree they are expensive...I think I saw 28K??? on one post here... Yowsers...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
There are threads with sleep inside platforms in FJC's here on Expo and on the fjcruiserforums, ih8mud....that would give you some under platform storage also.

Personally the money for the trailer would be better spent on the trip itself, matter of fact made every third night in a hotel (or however random it works out) and you will still save money.
Pulling a trailer can be a pain also.

If it was me I and there were 2 people or I was solo then I would:
pull the rear seats
build a platform for storage drawer access from the back and space where the seats were
install a fridge somewhere in all that
install an awning off a roof rack and pick one with sides to make a space to change clothes, escape rain and such
and then just GO and enjoy the trip figuring out the rest in route.

Kohburn

Adventurer

for solo i'm a big fan of hammock tents in tree country or a bivy in the arid lands
for duo - in this case i would definately say trailer

ripper1600

Adventure Seeker
I have had my fj for several years and would say it would probably be nicer to have a little bit extra room and say either a RTT or tear drop.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Unless you are short in stature, you have got to take the rear seats out to make enough room to stretch out and be comfortable. I'm 5'11" and tried to stow away inside my FJC one night when the wind was just beating my tent to death. With the back seats just flipped forward it was not a good place to sleep. And then I woke up at 2am and had to go to the bathroom, only to find myself latched in by the rear door. Since there is no door release on the inside of the FJC's rear door I finally had to remove both front seat headrests to get enough room to climb over and get out of the driver's door. A jury-rig door release can be added, but it's definitely something to think about...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears