FJC Frame issues?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
So I have head this from a few now... FJ Cruisers with after market winch bumpers are having frame failures near the firewall? How much of this is true?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Plenty of documented cases... all makes of bumpers, even some stock bumpers. I think it has alot to do with the gap between the body and the bumpers... hence why ARB recommends up to an inch for some installs. I've seen installs where they must have modified the brackets to be able to tuck the bumper even closer to the body, thus eliminate all but 1/4" of the gap.

Its been coined the "FJC Body Rip"

415.jpg

flyingwil

In Farmington on this winch pull the bumper was tweeked a good inch at the end of the pull:

IMG_2245.JPG

It really is a shame... So have any companies produced a "fix" similar to the Demello frame reinforcements on the Taco's?

cruiseroutfit

flyingwil said:

It really is a shame... So have any companies produced a "fix" similar to the Demello frame reinforcements on the Taco's?

I havn't seen a fix kit yet... with all the suspension, steering and motor mounts/brackets and components on the front of the frame... it would require ALOT of work to install something like that.

flyingwil

cruiseroutfit said:
I havn't seen a fix kit yet... with all the suspension, steering and motor mounts/brackets and components on the front of the frame... it would require ALOT of work to install something like that.

Thanks Kurt!

cruiseroutfit

teotwaki said:
...Note that only three vehicles on the whole forum have reported cracks.

Where are you seeing that number? I read through just a handful of pages and noted at least a half dozen forum members with issues. I know of at least one major case here in SLC with the body rip. He is currently working with his dealer to resolve the issue. As of late Toyota has changed things up on the newer models with a different inner fender? Some on the FJ Cruiser Forum think a TSB might even be issued??

teotwaki

Excelsior!
cruiseroutfit said:
Where are you seeing that number? I read through just a handful of pages and noted at least a half dozen forum members with issues. I know of at least one major case here in SLC with the body rip. He is currently working with his dealer to resolve the issue. As of late Toyota has changed things up on the newer models with a different inner fender? Some on the FJ Cruiser Forum think a TSB might even be issued??

Post # 10 on 8-11-07

Re: Engine Bay Body Rips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With only 3 of these reported out of all the FJs on the forum. It would really be nice to hear the whole story on this. This is fishy. Lot's of us wheel extensively, with the same options, and no trouble. Physics isn't random. Is there any more you might be able to tell us? It might be a rare metal defect, but it's hard to imagine.

cruiseroutfit

teotwaki said:
Post # 10 on 8-11-07

Re: Engine Bay Body Rips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

With only 3 of these reported out of all the FJs on the forum. It would really be nice to hear the whole story on this. This is fishy. Lot's of us wheel extensively, with the same options, and no trouble. Physics isn't random. Is there any more you might be able to tell us? It might be a rare metal defect, but it's hard to imagine.

Oh, I think his number was a bit premature ;) Keep reading, there are over 1100 posts after that one. Look at the poll at the top, while its likely not accurate... it shows an alarming number of instances.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
cruiseroutfit said:
Oh, I think his number was a bit premature ;) Keep reading, there are over 1100 posts after that one. Look at the poll at the top, while its likely not accurate... it shows an alarming number of instances.

Agreed. In fact, according to the poll it is about 30% (29/106) that are unmodified but have problems too so it is looking like a body defect and not just due to mods or hard wheeling.

cruiseroutfit

SOCALFJ said:
Why would the body rip like that? The bumper isn't bolted to the body, its bolted the frame. Im confused!?

It isn't related to the bumper in every case. However the theory is that the FJC has alot of frame flaxe, enough that the bumper will hit the body. The body has little give. The other theory is the type and design of front body mounts used, they might let the front of the body "sag" a bit, thus creating rips. It could be a combination of both.

TrAiLbUs1

Observer
flyingwil said:
In Farmington on this winch pull the bumper was tweeked a good inch at the end of the pull:

IMG_2245.JPG

Hey that's my buddy Phil (tanasJ) we just got back from Moab Mayhem last week. We fixed his bumper by slamming into a moab ledge ********!!! easy fix!!

I have had one of the original models (one of the first in Tucson)_ and wheel regularly on rough trails..I don't ever jump it and have never gotten much air. I have no rips or anything really just a small bulge...we looked @ the trail teams rigs while we were in Moab and they had rips..so did all of the Fj's we were with..only time will tell the full extent to this drama..I'm sure eventually there will be service bulletin or a recall of some sort. Not sure how much of that is structural though since it's in the engine bay. BTW I have aftermarket skids, lift, and an Allpro bumper (which is one of the lightest versions)..I'm really not to concerned with this. One thing I am concerned with is the rear diff gears, out of 8 rigs in Moab 3 broke their diffs:( we were hitting the trails really hard though, and the people it happened to go out often..one of the rigs is the Gibson trail team baja replica... (all thrid members were replaced free of charge) The rear gears are now made of hardened steel... and I'm ready to bring it in to ask if they will replace it before I'm stranded long from home!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78