FJC Frame issues?

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Miss R2FJ said:
I just wanted to make note that this is not only an FJ problem, there have been some Tacos having issues as well. There is one Taco in particular that had the exact same frame shearing issue that Tibaal has had on his FJ, but somehow Mike has the luck of R&D fixing it for him....I believe the Taco had to pay to fix on his own.

IMO all 120 platform trucks should be keeping their eye out for this problem right now, it may be happening to others but because it has been so well documented in the FJ community we are the only one's looking.

X2 I've been getting the same feedback since voicing my displeasure with Toyota & my FJC

cruiser guy

Explorer
I think I'll stick with my '60 and '55. At least they were made back in the day when they made REAL Land Cruisers!!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
SinCityFJC said:
If your friend hasn't already posted up on these threads he needs to. Also get production date off door jam & if possible get pics of top of inner fenders with plastic removed that will show if his rig has the latest redesign (#3) of the inner fender - 1st two redesigns failed & if #3 does Toyota is in a world of hurt. This is one of the reasons I tolerated Toyota's delay tactics is I knew that hadn't been able to fix it, but was optimistic on fix #3.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...do-you-have-inner-fender-bulges-cracking.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html

this forum has so much advertisement I don't even know where to look to read the postings.
If Expo Portal ever turns like that I am out.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
2aroundtheworld said:
this forum has so much advertisement I don't even know where to look to read the postings.
If Expo Portal ever turns like that I am out.

That is one reason I do not frequent that forum anymore. I have no problem with a little advertising to help pay for the cost of the website, but the blue room is owned by a company well known for building forum websites just to make a profit....and it shows!

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Miss R2FJ said:
That is one reason I do not frequent that forum anymore. I have no problem with a little advertising to help pay for the cost of the website, but the blue room is owned by a company well known for building forum websites just to make a profit....and it shows!

I'm only on that site to watch FJC issues like fender bulges/cracks, R&P ect issues & post up on land use/access section.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Miss R2FJ said:
IMO all 120 platform trucks should be keeping their eye out for this problem right now, it may be happening to others but because it has been so well documented in the FJ community we are the only one's looking.

Sorry, just started reading about this.

Could you tell me where to watch for the frame shearing/cracking. I would like to keep an eye on my Tacoma.

Thank you.

viter

Adventurer
do not confuse frame and body!

some FJC's have a known problem with rips in the BODY sheetmetal at the front of the engine bay due to what seems to be a design issue - more info here as pointed out earlier - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html

few 2005+ tacos have issues with FRAME cracking at the front engine mounts due to bad welds - more info - http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49360

some 2001-2004 tacos are known to have bent a frame near the rear spring hanger area under high loads (such as hauling heavy loads, with position (further back) and speed over rough terrain plsaying a part too) - solution demello frame reinforcement plates. a separate issue for these trucks was frame caps on the front of the frame beginning to tear off under heavy winching - solution pointed out in this thread earlier - welding on plates instead of stock frame endcaps. more info could be found here with some searching - http://www.ttora.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

viter

Adventurer
btw, not sure what the current status of the FJC body rip issue is (I thought toyota was replacing the sheetmetal part with a new redesigned part under warranty on damaged vehicles but am not 100% sure - do your research on FJC forum), but for 2005+ tacos Cell4Soul (member here and on ttora) have won a case in court against toyota and basically now if anybody experiences this problem (a few people have but not too many from what I heard) they can point to Cell4Soul's case and toyota will have to cover repairs under warranty, as far as I know.

tibaal89

Adventurer
This discussion has sort of wandered between two separate issues, as viter points out...

On the body-rip issue...

This definitely continues to be a problem and is pretty widespread. Of the people I know in AZ who wheel with any frequency, I'd say 'most' have some kind of bulge or tear in the inner fender. Several in the group have severe separation of the sheet metal...

On the frame issue...

The frame on my 2007 FJC failed identically to cell4soul's 2005 Taco... here's a couple pics of mine:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/misc-technical-discussion/74262-i-broke-my-frame.html

DSC_2349.jpg

viter

Adventurer
wow, haven't heard about the FJC's frame issues... that's pretty bad, but glad you are getting it replaced for free - just the way it should be!

Is there more than 1 known FJC with this problem?

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Mine FJC goes into friends shop in the AM to pull AP skid & get a better look - since I can see rust & what looks like a fracture in exactly the same area.:eek: Sure hope my eyes are playing tricks on me.

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
Update on mine - total BS on all counts - denied coverage on all issues.

Click on pic will take you to full size version.

ps: Big thanks to Tigger my FJ Cruiser will be wearing some custom decals.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
SinCityFJC said:
Update on mine - total BS on all counts - denied coverage on all issues.

Click on pic will take you to full size version.

ps: Big thanks to Tigger my FJ Cruiser will be wearing some custom decals.

The comments about the mud, air cleaner, etc...freaked me out. I never took my tricked out modified 100 to the dealer in anything but like new/clean condition fearing a response like this. Yes, it's bogus they do not want to fix your cracks. Mud in the air cleaner? YIKES! They just look for this stuff!

SinCityFJC

Adventurer
ShottsCruisers said:
The comments about the mud, air cleaner, etc...freaked me out. I never took my tricked out modified 100 to the dealer in anything but like new/clean condition fearing a response like this. Yes, it's bogus they do not want to fix your cracks. Mud in the air cleaner? YIKES! They just look for this stuff!

Um yeah on TRD CAI w/prefilter & serviced & checked at least ever 5k miles.

Everything tight so have now idea on that one plus It was just serviced within the week - hell this was it's 5th time in this month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle