FlashHole's M416 trailer Build

Flashole

Adventurer
I just finished reading your entire build thread, very clean and professional work! I like your attention to detail.

I will be borrowing your lid design, would you mind sharing what you have invested as far as materials and cost?

Keep up the good work!

I would happily share if I knew. Thus far, I've just been putting all receipts in a box in my Garage. It's overflowing BTW :) Once I'm done, I'll add them all up and do my best to sort them by category. I'll post it up at that time.

Bedwell

Observer
I would happily share if I knew. Thus far, I've just been putting all receipts in a box in my Garage. It's overflowing BTW :) Once I'm done, I'll add them all up and do my best to sort them by category. I'll post it up at that time.

No problem, just trying to gauge how much to put aside for materials when the time comes to build one for mine.

Flashole

Adventurer
No problem, just trying to gauge how much to put aside for materials when the time comes to build one for mine.

You could easily do it on the cheap. Lots of guys spend very little. Of course, some guys spend a bunch of time and money. I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

I will tell you this. If I were to do it again, I'd build one from scratch. The extra cost for metal would be made up in materials and labor.

Bedwell

Observer
You could easily do it on the cheap. Lots of guys spend very little. Of course, some guys spend a bunch of time and money. I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

I will tell you this. If I were to do it again, I'd build one from scratch. The extra cost for metal would be made up in materials and labor.

I plan to build my lid from scratch anyway. I want to try and get away from the bolt on mods and become more confident in my fabrications skills, and my M416 will allow me to do that.

Flashole

Adventurer
I plan to build my lid from scratch anyway. I want to try and get away from the bolt on mods and become more confident in my fabrications skills, and my M416 will allow me to do that.

I've certainly learned a lot during this experience.

Flashole

Adventurer
Update

Decided to fabricate a small roof rack. Buying one was just to expensive for what I feel like I will need. I basically just want something to strap overflow stuff to, or possibly a bike or two. I figure this will serve that purpose just fine.

After some quick thought about the design, I cut out all the pieces.

All welded up and installed.

Have I mentioned that I hate drilling holes in metal. For whatever reason, I just don't like doing it. Nothing makes me angrier than snapping off drill bits, which I am very good at doing :)

Later that day.

Well, I wasn't totally satisfied, so I decided to put in some cross bars to keep the cargo off the paint. Now, I like it :)

Last edited:

67tank

Observer
Great job on the rack
As for your stencil - go to Rick Larsen Military Stencils for a great product - you can either do a stencil or a sticker (3m) I used stencils for my 416 trailer and stickers for the jeep. Both are holding up great and look good. http://www.militarystencils.com/default.aspx
A 25 inch invasion star (like you showed) will cost you under $20
See my builds in the signature to get an idea of what they look like.

Flashole

Adventurer
Great job on the rack
As for your stencil - go to Rick Larsen Military Stencils for a great product - you can either do a stencil or a sticker (3m) I used stencils for my 416 trailer and stickers for the jeep. Both are holding up great and look good. http://www.militarystencils.com/default.aspx
A 25 inch invasion star (like you showed) will cost you under $20
See my builds in the signature to get an idea of what they look like.

Thanks Tank!!!! I'll will definitely check them out. It was your thread that gave me the idea, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember where exactly I saw it. I've looked through so many threads, I can't remember what's what anymore.

TheJosh

Explorer
What did you end up doing for your gas shocks? I had 150lbs ones that came with my lid but with the lid and the RTT now its not enough force to lift the lid. So I'm thinking of getting 200lbs ones or maybe 225

Flashole

Adventurer
Update.

Cut, capped and drilled some spacers for the tongue box.

Installed the box.

Bedlined the fenders and installed them.

Painted and installed the roof rack.

All painted up and assembled.

No close-up photos, but I also.....

put a 7 wire connector on the trailer and the jeep.
installed the brake controller and got the brakes adjusted.
Installed the Harbor Freight D-rings on the front of the trailer on both sides.(as seen in Don Beasley's build thread)

My to-do list for phase 1 is almost done :wings:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
It is looking great!!!

Nice job on the tailgate. That is always a tough issue as the tub can flex once that is cut. The crossbar looks like the perfect solution. You are making mine look bad; I am going to have to quit putting it off and get back to work on mine.

Keep the photos coming.

TheJosh

Explorer
Daaaaaaaang!!!! That's looks so good, great job!!!

Its really so pretty and matched your jeep perfectly. How do you feel about the end product?

Flashole

Adventurer
It is looking great!!!

Nice job on the tailgate. That is always a tough issue as the tub can flex once that is cut. The crossbar looks like the perfect solution. You are making mine look bad; I am going to have to quit putting it off and get back to work on mine.

Keep the photos coming.

Thanks Don! I think it was your thread on LSJC that started all this crap for me:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12