Fleetside trailer verses stepside?

slimtwo

Adventurer
I have posted before on this forum my intent to build a trailer from the ground up to tow behind my TJ. But I have a question. Why is it that most all of the trailer builds I have seen on this forum and others, are stepside and not fleetside (exception being the new AT tent trailer)? Is there a reason for that, that I'm not thinking of, or is it just a matter of preference?

I would love to hear some feedback on this. After all, I want this to be a very functional trailer when I finaly get it going, so I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.

Happy trails!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I think the answer is simplicity. That's the reason the first trucks and trailers were built that way. The fleetside came along for looks and a lil more payload capacity. My trailer is a fleet sdie, so to speak, because I had the tub already available and it is solid. If I was building one from scratch, I would have fabbed a stepside because it's faster and easier to do.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yep, stepside is way easier to built. I built mine fleetside, and it's been a lot of extra work. Fleetside is not just for styling though. You get more cargo capacity, often with a reduction in drag.

njtaco

Explorer
Just a couple of random thoughts...

I'd think a stepside (M416 type) would be less susceptible to damage along the lower extremities when off-road. Then the replaceable fenders, gas can holders, etc. would take the beating, not the body so much.

You also usually lose the flat floor that a step side has, making the front corners that much harder to get to from the tailgate.

It is easier to hang gas/water jugs on the sides of a step side without them protruding, too.

They may look better to many people (like me).

2c

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Depending on the amount of effort you put into it, some 'fleetsides' might be halfway easy to build....

bb5.jpg

The rest of the thread at that site is about a guy's build-up of a Bronco II matching trailer.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I think the answer is simplicity. That's the reason the first trucks and trailers were built that way. The fleetside came along for looks and a lil more payload capacity. My trailer is a fleet sdie, so to speak, because I had the tub already available and it is solid. If I was building one from scratch, I would have fabbed a stepside because it's faster and easier to do.

In my planning for a fleetside, I was mainly thinking in terms of the extra stowage space, but then secondly the appearance.
And as far as simplicity, I can see your point, however I have never taken on a project such as this, so either way I don’t see either one as a simple task, that’s why I have consulted with a variety of sheet metal shops looking for one to help me with that part of the trailer. I am planning to build the frame, tounge/hitch and suspension, and let the sheet metal shop do the tub and inner fenders. If I had the tools and stuff though, it would be fun to try it all on my own. Besides, with the help of all you guys on the forum, I think I could get throught it.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Yep, stepside is way easier to built. I built mine fleetside, and it's been a lot of extra work. Fleetside is not just for styling though. You get more cargo capacity, often with a reduction in drag.

Rob, I have been following your thread, and have really gotten a lot of good ideas from you. Your trailer may be a lot of work, but you make it look easy.

I definitely agree with you concerning cargo space, as Highlandercj-7 also pointed out. The esthetics is a big part of my decision, though I didn’t really consider the low drag feature. I guess I should add that to the pro side of my pro’s & con’s list.

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

slimtwo

Adventurer
Just a couple of random thoughts...

I'd think a stepside (M416 type) would be less susceptible to damage along the lower extremities when off-road. Then the replaceable fenders, gas can holders, etc. would take the beating, not the body so much.

You also usually lose the flat floor that a step side has, making the front corners that much harder to get to from the tailgate.

It is easier to hang gas/water jugs on the sides of a step side without them protruding, too.

They may look better to many people (like me).

2c

njtaco, you bring up a very good point, and I must say, this is on the "con's" side of my list for that very reason.

One thought I had though, to protect the trailer, would be to fabricate something like rock slider bars that would be mounted along the bottom edge of the trailer, and on both sides just blow the sheet metal standing off the frame about 4 inches or so.

I even thought I could make a piece to fit over the wheel well, that would be removable so I could change the tire if needed.

These are all great comments, thank you as well for your input.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Depending on the amount of effort you put into it, some 'fleetsides' might be halfway easy to build....

bb5.jpg

The rest of the thread at that site is about a guy's build-up of a Bronco II matching trailer.

That's a great thought, and in fact I have wondered how difficult it would be to find a wrecked TJ and cut the body in half to make a matching trailer out of it, I think that would be so cool!

The only down side is that I don't have any experience doing that kind of thing, and I would imagine that it would be very expensive to have a body shop do it. But I would like to have a tail gate, and that would be an easy way to get it.

I also thought about trying to find an old Jeep mini P/U bed that I could convert to a trailer, but they are just about as hard to find as an M416 Military trailer (I looked for a year trying to find one of those and gave up). That’s when I came up with the idea of building my own.

Thank you for your input as well, I appreciate it!

Happy trails!

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I've included a "current pic and my new "concept pic" just hot off the presses from 30 or so hours spent on Sketch Up. In the new version I took the step side to the next, more functional level..so it's easier for me to set up the RTT. It also will be nice to have addtional storage space on the outside of the trailer for those items that will not be affected by the weather.

I do like the clean walls inside and the new plan utilizes it even more. I hope to build a new frame with a 3500# axle and cut the top of the trailer free from the frame and slide it to the new frame, then I'll add the nose box.

After watching R_Lefebvre's Camper build it was plain to see I needed a new frame and brake axle. Rob also added crank down jacks on the corners for the ultimate in stabilazation. Now if only I had a tenth of his welding skills...lol

Think carefully about your overall needs, will there be future growth, and what will you towing with in the future. Is your goal to be lightweight and super mobile or do you want to trade up some weight and maneuverability for more creature comforts. Either way it'll be one of the greatest projects you'll do....good luck.

Pat

Attachments

• the rig.jpg
    the rig.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 154
  • ort5.jpg
    ort5.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:

slimtwo

Adventurer
I've included a "current pic and my new "concept pic" just hot off the presses from 30 or so hours spent on Sketch Up. In the new version I took the step side to the next, more functional level..so it's easier for me to set up the RTT. It also will be nice to have addtional storage space on the outside of the trailer for those items that will not be affected by the weather.

I do like the clean walls inside and the new plan utilizes it even more. I hope to build a new frame with a 3500# axle and cut the top of the trailer free from the frame and slide it to the new frame, then I'll add the nose box.

After watching R_Lefebvre's Camper build it was plain to see I needed a new frame and brake axle. Rob also added crank down jacks on the corners for the ultimate in stabilazation. Now if only I had a tenth of his welding skills...lol

Think carefully about your overall needs, will there be future growth, and what will you towing with in the future. Is your goal to be lightweight and super mobile or do you want to trade up some weight and maneuverability for more creature comforts. Either way it'll be one of the greatest projects you'll do....good luck.

Pat

You have a very nice looking AT, I checked out your build, great job, and very inspiring. And I agree with you concerning Rob’s thread, I have been hanging on every word (and pic’s).

I down loaded the sketch up program, but I have not been able to do anything like you did. Perhaps it’s due to the fact I did the free down load, and the fact that you probably paid for yours. Great picture!

I have been thinking a lot about what my needs are for the trailer. I first came up with the need when my son and I went camping for the first time in my (new to me) TJ. Wow! What a shock, I had been camping with my 65 FSJ, and so I could haul all of my camping gear in the bed of the truck. Well I’m here ta tell ya, that ain’t the case with the TJ. When I got done packing, half of my gear was still on the ground.

The trailer idea started when we were up at our camp site in Holcomb Valley (So. Cal), and this guy pulls in, in a brand new JK, towing a small trailer with the same tires and wheels. I thought to myself that is exactly what I need. I went over later that evening after dinner and spoke to him about his trailer. He was very nice, and explained to me how he and a friend had built it in a couple of weekends, I was impressed.

So I started planning, and designing a trailer that will suite my needs.

Thank you for your advice, I have received a lot of good ideas from people like you on this forum. And I hope that when I am finally in a position to start my build, I can be of some help to someone else.

Happy Trails!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Woah Pat, I hadn't seen your setup before, how come? It seems pretty similiar in spirit to mine? Do you have a sleeping space inside or what?

One thought I had though, to protect the trailer, would be to fabricate something like rock slider bars that would be mounted along the bottom edge of the trailer, and on both sides just blow the sheet metal standing off the frame about 4 inches or so.

This kind of thinking is what led me to me ideas for "efficiency". Instead of making a frame, then building sliders and all that, I just made the frame beefier, and I don't need any protection. It's all just one big solid thing. Might look like a Uhaul trailer, but it's efficient use of space and weight. ;)

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Bruce,

Go ahead and just start playing with the Sketch up program...that's kinda how I started, but also watch the tutorials..they'll help alot. If for some reason it's not clicking..pm me some measurements and help you out to get started. There's alot of great builds out there, and thank you for the compliment.

As for Mr. Lefebvre...now why do you think i liked YOUR build so friggin much?...lol :rolleyes:

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Here are a couple made out of Jeep tubs. The first is a TJ:

jeep-7-tj-trailer.jpg

This one is mine made out of a CJ-8 tub. It happens to be for sale rite now ;)

fullsizeview.jpg

slimtwo

Adventurer
This kind of thinking is what led me to me ideas for "efficiency". Instead of making a frame, then building sliders and all that, I just made the frame beefier, and I don't need any protection. It's all just one big solid thing. Might look like a Uhaul trailer, but it's efficient use of space and weight. ;)[/QUOTE]

Good point Rob, I suppose that makes a bunch of sense. I could slightly enlarge the frame to extend a little beyond the tub, thus intercepting the bumps from the tub.

And it appears that you are doing a fine job of making efficient use of space & wieght.

Happy trails!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan