Fleetside trailer verses stepside?

slimtwo

Adventurer
Bruce,

Go ahead and just start playing with the Sketch up program...that's kinda how I started, but also watch the tutorials..they'll help alot. If for some reason it's not clicking..pm me some measurements and help you out to get started. There's alot of great builds out there, and thank you for the compliment.

As for Mr. Lefebvre...now why do you think i liked YOUR build so friggin much?...lol :rolleyes:

Thank you Titanpat57 for the advice, and the offer for help. I will take the time to view all of the tutorials, and if I still can't get it, you will hear from me.
Yes, you are correct! There are alot of great builds, and very talented people, and I have gotton alot of great information from this forum.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Here are a couple made out of Jeep tubs. The first is a TJ:

jeep-7-tj-trailer.jpg

This one is mine made out of a CJ-8 tub. It happens to be for sale rite now ;)

fullsizeview.jpg

Now this is what I'm talking about!

So did you add the sheet metal in the front to square it off, or did you have a body shop do it for you? Either way, the trailer looks great!

Happy Trails!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I had intentions of adding another tail section of a tub to finish the front. I happened to have the diamond tread aluminum laying around my shop so I fabbed the front out of it. To make it useable quicker. I intended it to be tempoary till I got the rear to weld onto the front. That was in 2000 lol. It's worked great as is so I left it alone. I custom built my frame it's 2x3x 3/16" box tubing. I held the cj width so I could retain the cj rear (spare parts if the cj broke inthe middle of no where) The whole thing was fabbed from spare parts laying around my shop.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I had intentions of adding another tail section of a tub to finish the front. I happened to have the diamond tread aluminum laying around my shop so I fabbed the front out of it. To make it useable quicker. I intended it to be tempoary till I got the rear to weld onto the front. That was in 2000 lol. It's worked great as is so I left it alone. I custom built my frame it's 2x3x 3/16" box tubing. I held the cj width so I could retain the cj rear (spare parts if the cj broke inthe middle of no where) The whole thing was fabbed from spare parts laying around my shop.

I guess the quote "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" applies here. The only thing I want to change by building my own trailer is the height of the sides. I want to be able to set a couple of fuel cans in the front of the trailer, and the stock height is not tall enough. However, if the opportunity presented itself to get a wrecked TJ for the tub, I might just jump on it. Your trailer looks great, and I can always build a rack in the front for the gas cans.

Happy trails!

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I have been thinking of mounting the factory fuel tank and a fuel transfer pump under the front. That would give another 15 gal or so and add tongue weight. It would also utilize the wasted space under the front of the trailer and not take up valuable cargo space.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I have been thinking of mounting the factory fuel tank and a fuel transfer pump under the front. That would give another 15 gal or so and add tongue weight. It would also utilize the wasted space under the front of the trailer and not take up valuable cargo space.

Are you using part of the stock frame, or did you build your own, and set the tub on it?

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I built a complete custom frame. IMHO it's faster, easier, stronger and better looking to fab a new one, than piecing one together. I held the outter deminsion of the rear of a CJ frame, I used the front springs, shackles and spring mounts of a grand wagoneer with the CJ rear axle. That will allow me to use the srings and complete rear axle into my CJ in the event of a catastropic rear axle failure. Plus I already had the parts in the garage and they were free or atleast already bought and paid for lol. From the time I started the project to it's end was one week. I painted it on the 6th day and it was on the road to an offroad jambo 3 hours away from me on the 7th day.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I built a complete custom frame. IMHO it's faster, easier, stronger and better looking to fab a new one, than piecing one together. I held the outter deminsion of the rear of a CJ frame, I used the front springs, shackles and spring mounts of a grand wagoneer with the CJ rear axle. That will allow me to use the srings and complete rear axle into my CJ in the event of a catastropic rear axle failure. Plus I already had the parts in the garage and they were free or atleast already bought and paid for lol. From the time I started the project to it's end was one week. I painted it on the 6th day and it was on the road to an offroad jambo 3 hours away from me on the 7th day.

So did you sleep at all? I would love to build a trailer in that kind of time. However I work for a living. Not a bad idea using parts that are interchangeable. Nice job on the trailer! :drool:

The frame I build will have independent suspension similar to the AT’s. I’m not too worried about that part.
I checked out a sheet metal shop near my house that someone told me about. I drew him a rough sketch of what I want to build, and he quoted me about $700.00 labor and materials to cut, bend & tack weld the tub together. I just need to build the frame and wheel it down to them, and they will make sure the tub fits the chassis.
I just hope my truck sells soon, and then I can get started on the trailer.

Thanks for the details!

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
I think I finaly figured out how to post drawings from sketch up. Here is one of my concept drawings for a fleetside trailer with RTT. It includes a tongue box, and holders for two jerry cans.
trailerdesign.png

slimtwo

Adventurer
Sorry Slim...I was away camping.

It came out great!

No apologies necessary, Camping sounds like fun.
Thank you for the comment, for some reason I’m having trouble uploading the 3-D views on Photobucket, I like the perspective views better, however they just don’t seem to upload.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I just take a "screen shot" or hit printscreen..and go into MS Paint..hit "control-V" and it should appear as a jpeg on the screen. Make sure you have the attributes set to 8.5" by 11" . Click save as, put in the name of your choice, and make sure to save it as a *.jpeg extension, or it won't download to EP..at least I dont think.

slimtwo

Adventurer
I had similar issues I think we all do, when you have a blank slate
a few sketches and a pile of steel, things still change while your building

Thread is here

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12092&highlight=consolidated

Mines a bit of a mixture and was fed up with bumping my head on a trailer mounted RTT

hence the not normal installation with it opening to the front

DSC_2130.jpg

and it means I can finally stop carrying the dam dog up the ladder

DSC_2129.jpg

Sorry it took so long to reply, thank you for your comments, and you’re probably right, the drawings are the starting point to get you headin in the right direction, but the road is never straight for long (that sounds just like life, huh, go figure).

By the way, if I hadn't mentioned it before, I really like your trailer design, and the dog it cool too.
I have been toying with the idea of having drop down doors on the side of the trailer as part of the Chuck Box, but I have to think about it a little more.

Happy Trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
I just take a "screen shot" or hit printscreen..and go into MS Paint..hit "control-V" and it should appear as a jpeg on the screen. Make sure you have the attributes set to 8.5" by 11" . Click save as, put in the name of your choice, and make sure to save it as a *.jpeg extension, or it won't download to EP..at least I dont think.

Thank you for the Tip, it worked!

Here are two other views of the trailer I am thinking of.
RightRearview.jpg

OK, so I still need to work on my computer skills, but I'll get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior