flip-back build

CYi5

Explorer
Sweet build, always a fan of DIY. I'm working on a popup build for my rig and was curious about the sewing machine requirements for stitching your fabric. I've read finding a machine with a walking foot is helpful; what other machine characteristics are ideal?

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I got a singer straight from target and went to town..but I learned to sew back when middle school had home economics and my mom was a seamstress..any off the shelf machine will stitch the AWSOME ripstop poly from ripstop by the foot.com..

Ive got a few new pics...but this weekend we will be doing 4 days and nights in SC hunting island campground with all 5 kids and 2 dogs..so plenty of time to get videos opening and closing and relaxing by the Atlantic!!!

BOPOH

Explorer
hey, i swear i saw you driving near my neighborhood couple times. Do drive a lot near hard rd?

wanttotravel

just curious on the cost (so far)

we're interested in a flip pac, but holy crap, at $4k for used one, just curious what you've spent so far? thanks!

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
spent a couple hours rippin and re-stitching...gained about 8in more material for the sides...then added a new skirt addition after seeing how freakin wide the ones are on the habitats...(I was trying to figure out how they kept water outta the bunk area...but mines 100% waterproof so didnt need a rainfly..just saw a Habitat deployed and realized my oversite..)<br />
<br />
also added some material to the hinge area and fixed a couple other over-stitch stuff...should go back on wednesday during the day...last time I installed the tent it only took me 2hrs...this time its all laid out and I have more material to work with!!! should go fast!!!<br />
<br />
attachment.php

Does this this work on the truck and the jeep?

Also I'm dying to see a video of setting it and tearing it down.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
spent a couple hours rippin and re-stitching...gained about 8in more material for the sides...then added a new skirt addition after seeing how freakin wide the ones are on the habitats...(I was trying to figure out how they kept water outta the bunk area...but mines 100% waterproof so didnt need a rainfly..just saw a Habitat deployed and realized my oversite..)<br />
<br />
also added some material to the hinge area and fixed a couple other over-stitch stuff...should go back on wednesday during the day...last time I installed the tent it only took me 2hrs...this time its all laid out and I have more material to work with!!! should go fast!!!<br />
<br />
attachment.php

Does this this work on the truck and the jeep?

Also I'm dying to see a video of setting it and tearing it down.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I forgot to get one in south carolina..video would only be like 2 min long totaly..its quickto setup..

would what work? the material is 100% waterproof so she doesnt need a rainfly.. and Im sure if someone wanted to build one for a jeep it could be done...

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
we're interested in a flip pac, but holy crap, at $4k for used one, just curious what you've spent so far? thanks!

oh...your gonna be mad...

INCLUDING 9x9 awning and 3in queen memory foam mattress...I have $900

$525 in aluminum diamond plate (including having top boxes bent and corners welded..
$130 in steel for frame
$120 in all the fabric including extra
$25 in conduit for tent frame and awning poles
$70 in new sewing machine cus the one I grew up using is flat worn out
$50 in a used truck cap that I took windows and door hardware out of.
$20 in backup lights
led interiors are off of roll I had I hardwired
$6 in switches
$20 for 4 camper latches
rest is misc for hinge and screws and wood,staples,seal

I had 12hrs in figuring and layout/stitching tent,cover(hammocks) and awning and install
I had 5hrs in welding the frame
probably 6hrs in making aluminum boxes one piece and cutting and fitting all sides and windows/back window.
about an hour doing all the lifting hardware and adjustments/rack install.

I think it took a month from first weld to first camp trip...with a fulltime job and fulltime second job..

WOW that was cool re-reading the build for accuracy...thought it was shorter build but guess not!

Last edited:

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Yeah that would be great. I just wanted to see it in actions all. Maybe a walk around and while it's up.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Winter finally decided to visit ohio today! 30* and nice and windy! if Im lucky early next week I can get a sunny day and no wind..a 60X80 sail is a trip to setup and take down for fun!

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Thanks man, I appreciate it. I like it. I've often wondered why no one has done this concept on a Chevy k5 blazer

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan