flip-back build

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I think I have $50 in the whole thing thanks to harbor freight for bungee and clamps and tarp

9890cf7de0e99fe5a67294504b90b16f.jpg
5082f693fdc8cebc1b3081db23547eb1.jpg
d6c80c9723ba99c301a05004b9b55089.jpg
7cc28fd8d21bff7648544a7d7522fd5a.jpg
522e57ff5f2c06eed68fba7d6a50b1cc.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

BOPOH

Explorer
looks like you about to cover an airplane :)

Got any plans for Saturday morning/day? We are planning to work on FJs, you are welcome come over and brag about your tent :D

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
looks like you about to cover an airplane :)

Got any plans for Saturday morning/day? We are planning to work on FJs, you are welcome come over and brag about your tent :D
Just cover a motorcycle!!

Think we are taking the kids tubing Saturday..ill know more Friday

ADROIT

well my old sewing machine just wouldnt stitch the ripstop...so a new sewing machine later!! Got some sleeves stitched and one side panel made with screen and zipper installed...I had to order more material because I overestimated how far the light blue would go...so I ordered white!! not sure I cared for the blue that much...

I have a PFAFF 230 machine that I bought for exactly this type of project. I love the build.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I would have to look in the dining room but it was just one from target I think it was $70...

I was actually looking at material for a new top this winter..the tent on it now shows glaring mistakes and I've had a year of camping in it to show what I would improve and change and also not worry so much about..I'm going with a 2.2 hex ripstop (new mega mat 10s use this and its a little better suited to abrasion my tent sees when closed) in non breathing watetproof..

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/pu-coated-pack-reinforcement/products/2-2-oz-hex70-xl

The new design will have longer secondary poles to square the tent off more and different design of Windows up higher to vent it better when its hot and humid. And possibly a skylight mesh with built in rain fly for it and the Windows similar to the nemo design..and longer skirt.. I short skirted the first design and we have woken up a Lot with standing water in the sleeping area..

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
the mark II top is on the way!!

material ordered!!!

NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!...opps....no more zippers!!! Velcro this time...zippers have problematic to install and have function reliably..

and since AT habitat had some great ideas along the same lines of my build...I cant help but envy their NEMO top....Im "Inspired" by it...lets see how it turns out...cus my top could use some extra ventilation and better vista views...:ylsmoke:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Wanted to do a quick review on the Megamat 10 XL

https://www.rei.com/product/812005/exped-megamat-10-sleeping-pad

As the angels fluffed my pillow and rubbed my feet while I drifted off to sleep....I couldnt help but smile...

seriously thou...what a great piece of gear!!!

the foam inside is nice and firm even for bigger guys and girls...im 350 and my wife is an undisclosed weight for my own safety..and very curvy.....neither of us in 4 continuous days of use had the foam fail as our old 4in memory did on day 2..

2 mats make it a perfect fit for our queen sized sleeping platform...she liked her bed with more air in it and I found that mine needed just a little more than the self inflated pressure...

Comfortable to sleep directly on the surface in 85-90* temps...didnt hold moisture or condensation that even the tent had inside it..

packing them down does take a little more time because as you let up on compressing them they want to refil...but a couple min we could pack them down and stow them in their factory bags...

we have even used them as an extra bed topper at home occasionally....at $218 each ($436 for set) we deffinitly feel the need to use them for more than just camping...and WORTH IT!!!!....

nothing is worse than long days and restless nights...you might be hurting at the cost...but a couple days where your marriage really needs both of you to get a good nights rest it will seem CHEAP!!!!!!!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
Lemme just leave this here...supposed to rain a Lot this week...might not get garage siding done...but this...this might become 3 dimensional..

5b769fc1d041e5736b18eb7ac1e43905.jpg
48c29469453260211a5eafb3b79087b6.jpg
24876cb0a509b523714630a2e37a21eb.jpg

Its got a too long skirt on it right now...it will be 46 tall in center (current one is 48 and its a little tall to hang stuff on..) ends 38 tall...current one is basically a triangle so new one will allow us to sleep head outboard and will have some nice screen winfows and a Lot more ventilation as this hex ripstop is coated inside and 100% watetproof that also won't let it wick or breathe condensation..hence bigger and more windows...)

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
lol i love your dog's enthusiasm to pose for pictures
It was 130 am...only time there wasn't 5 kids running thru the house...lol!!

Those dogs are pretty couch potatoish...

Depending on how much it rains I could actually get it all stitched this weekend..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998