Foldable Solar Panel

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
We have been testing foldable solar panels by PowerFilm in the field for a while now, and we are very impressed by the quality and durability of them.

For our needs the 60 watt panel has worked out well, it's powerful enough to run an Engel 45 fridge, providing 3.6 amps at 15.4 volts.

The setup is completely plug and play, with the charge controller built in and a 12 volt outlet on the other end.

The 60 watt panel is 59" long and 43" wide, folded away it fits into a bag that's 11" x 9.5" x 2". The whole thing weighs 3.19 lbs. Very impressive. :sunny:

The 60 watt unit is identical to the one Scott B. took with him on his expedition to South America that left a few days ago.

The 60 watt panel retails for $899.00 and we also have 5 watt, 10 watt, and 30 watt panels. e mail me for pricing on those.

More information on size, weight, and power is available at http://www.adventuretrailers.com/12volt_solar.html

SOLAR1.jpg

SOLAR3.jpg

pygmyowl

I was just wondering what you would do during the day if you were out hiking. I guess you would need to figure out some way to stake the panel out so if the winds picked up while you were gone they wouldn't get blown all over the place?

Scotty

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Now that's a great product! And it can double as a safety blanket if you get stranded:)

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Martyn,
Do you have any life expectancy data? How does repeated folding/unfolding effect the performance and lifespan? Can the surface be easily cleaned of dust without hampering the power generating performance? As the product ages does the output remain consistent or is there a falloff?

Looks promising on the surface!

Martyn

The panel can be staked out to hold it securely.

No long term data on the product, because it's new :sombrero:
Judging by the quality of the product, from first hand experience, it looks like it will hold up for the long haul.

The design specifications are military grade, and the panels are designed for extended outdoor installation.

So not only are the panels flexible, and encapsulated, all of the component parts are designed for long term use outdoors in harsh environments.

In comparison a solid panel it reality fragile due to it's construction. Solid panels also require an additional charge control unit that adds to the cost.

Storage of the solid panel is obviously an issue.

A few factoids:

PowerFilm is a line of flexible solar modules with a thin film plastic substrate.

Uses Thin film amorphous silicon photovoltaics.

The modules are available in a variety of encapsulants that enable their use in diverse operating environments, both indoor and out, from deserts to tropics to polar conditions.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Contgradulations Martyn, that panel is quite an improvement over the choices, two years ago when I got my 60 watt solid panel

I don't have any trouble carrying it, but your new one would be a real space saver

I think that 60 watts is a great all around charging output for "ordinary" camping gear

Looks like you're doing a LOT of research for your new AT-Kudos

:coffeedrink::wings::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Martyn

Looks like you're doing a LOT of research for your new AT-Kudos
:coffeedrink::wings::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

Jim, we test all of the products we sell extensively. In the past we have found discrepancies between what the manufacturer is saying about a product and how it actually performs in the field.

We don't sell anything we haven't researched thoroughly, and have used in the field for a long period of time. Everything we sell we use ourselves.

Martyn

What type of warranty does it have from Powerfilm? What type of warranty do you offer?

With it being the President Day Weekend, and me not being at the shop, I don't have all the fine print material with me.

I'll read it and let you know ASAP.

masterplumber

Observer
Martyn, it sounds like this could be moved from vehicle to vehicle if the controler etc... is built into the product. Is this the case? when you say it has a 12volt plug I assume you mean a standard cigarette style plug so no special wiring would be needed so long as the vehicle has a power point that is live with the key off?

Doug

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Martyn, it sounds like this could be moved from vehicle to vehicle if the controler etc... is built into the product. Is this the case? when you say it has a 12volt plug I assume you mean a standard cigarette style plug so no special wiring would be needed so long as the vehicle has a power point that is live with the key off?

Doug

There is no controller is built into the panel. The panel puts out 15.4 volts at peak. Any panel that is used to recharge a battery as a general rule will require a controller. A rough rule of thumb is that if the panel puts out about 2 watts or less for each 50 battery amp-hours, then you don't need one.

To keep up with the needs of the Overlander running a fridge, recharging camera batteries (and if you're Paul May, tiki lights), you'll need 60 watts +. Controllers come in all shapes & sizes. First and foremost, you want the controller to match the output of the panel you intend to use it with. For example, in the case of the 60 watt panel producing 15.5 volts you would want a 4 amp controller or better (60 watts divided by 15.4 volts = 3.9 Amps).

The simplest and lowest cost controllers generally have an indicator light to show that they are charging. The nicer, higher amperage controllers actually give you some data such as the SOC (State of charge or voltage) of the battery you are charging and the amperage of the panel connected to it. We prefer the latter as it allows one to watch battery reserve capacity and panel performance.

When we go out on our trips and set up our panel, watching the display on the controller for panel amperage allows us to optimally position the panel for the most energy capture. The Carmanah controller we use has an LCD display that flips between SOC & panel amperage and has a graphical LED gauge that shows battery condition. It is rated for 25 amps and is ample enough that if we want to daisy chain more panels into the system, we could technically run up to 300 watts. That's a lot of Singapore Slings!

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I read somwhere the flexible type solar panels are 20% less efficent than the solid type.
Does anyone know for sure?
I am about to order 2x40 watt panels in a hinged frame or maybe a single 100 watt panel.

I have a Yamaha 1000 efs but I could do without it on most trips by recharging from the 2x770cca batteries and the 120 amp alternator in the landcruiser.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Martyn:

Can the panel be laid over the top of a RTT? If so, How is affected by wind (i.e.: what is the weight of the unit relative to windy conditions?) How much cable is available for flexibility in placement?

Thanks for the answers.
Dendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998