For packing clothing...

SBSYNCRO

Wasn't sure whether to put this under "storage" or another sub, but here goes... For many years my wife and I have been using an Osprey Porter 65. It started with a Europe trip, I think but they. just became our "go to" bag for everything from weekend getaways to longer overland trips. But I have always disliked the inefficient way they pack into the Jeep because of the irregular shape. We usually use packing cubes inside these bags to keep things better organized.

What do you use for longer overland trips to keep your clothing and personal stuff organized? I've tried hard-sided boxes like the wolf packs but I have found them to be inefficient because you can't collapse them down for smaller trips where you need less stuff. I'm assuming a soft-sided cube of some sort would be ideal that had good carry handles and maybe a clip-on shoulder sling...

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I also have an Osprey and had the same complaints as you do regarding the fitment of the pack inside my truck. I usually do 1 night trips, sometimes 2, so it's short enough to live with.

I started using my medium size Under Armour duffle bag that I've had for like 15 years. I used to use it as my lacrosse bag for my travel teams in high school then used it for short trips because it's carry on eligible. It's seen better days so figured why not use it in the dirt? It's the right size for what I do, square shape and is soft sided so I can stuff it under a seat or on top of something without issue. I much prefer it over a backpack and holds a good amount of clothes. It's ugly and faded but the zippers all work, internal compartments are in tact and the shoulder strap still holds it. Maybe go to your local sporting goods store and try it out? Cheap, easy and you wont pay an overland brand name premium.

jgaz

Adventurer
I have a 25 year old duffle from LL Bean that has been on a hundred? trips of all kinds. I love the pocket arrangement and keep looking for another like it.

I also use two different sizes of the the North Face duffles. The zippers aren’t waterproof but they both have a lot of miles on them including in the open bed of a truck or on a roof rack.
EZ to clean at the end of the trip. I usually pack a heavy duty garbage bag in the large one both for rain protection, if required, and also to separate dirty, muddy, clothes in the bag.
Watch for sales.

Steadfast Rocky

Are you after soft goods?

We have Toyed with making duffels and the like, but haven't made the commitment to develop the patterns yet. As we are still in the same rig flux and perfered set up flux.

My wife and I both use the Patagonia black hole duffels for almost everything (another reason we haven't felt the need to dev a product that we already like). She uses a 55l and I use a 45l.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/b...var_49342_color=PEPL&cgid=luggage-duffel-bags

Do I like the fact i am buying Chinese garbage? No, do we have a Patagonia outlet that runs 50% off semi regularly yes.

If you want absolutely bomber, not bad for the price. Comes out to 70 liters

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have used two Mexpedition Duffles and their respective cuboid individual packing cube things… for over 10 years. And they are all holding up well. They are not cheap. And have a distinctive look. So that canbe good and bad depending on where you are going. They have backpack straps that tuck out of the way and can be zipped into a pocket when needed.

These have been used on Wildland fires, strapped to horses, helicopters, zodiacs, bush planes, back of truck, roof racks, motorcycles, etc
kind of anywhere work has taken me. Which is everywhere and abused. Not waterproof or dust proof.
But when I needed to take them on the water, or needed that I would throw either into a NRS Dry Duffle.

The “ Cuboid” come in small, medium and large, and can all nest one one another. They are canvas/mesh and YKK zippers. So you can kind of see inside them. And they can smoosh and ball up when not needed.

The “ Doppelduffel” 57L.

And the “ fliegerduffel” a 42L, is carryon sized.

I would typically be gone for 120 days at a time. Or more.

The Large cuboid, would hold 8 folded Polo shirts.
Large Two pair folded cargo shorts/ and two pair of pants
Medium 8 Pairs of boxers rolled
Small 8 pairs of socks.
A toiletry bag, flip flops. Random cords.
A handful of personal shirts in the medium/ and board shorts.
All stuffed into the carry on 42L bag.

This system has worked fantastic for me.
Ignore the Box of frozen Salmon filets. Not part of my normal load out. But yummy, this was taken at SEA airport, after a 160-day contract in the Bering Sea. But was my typical load out.

The larger duffle, contained medical diagnostic equipment, ( BP cuff, Stethoscope, Pulse Ox, Pen light, spare batteries, Head lamp. ENT kit in pelican case. ) computer also in pelican case, hard drives, a few reference books, etc and bulkier sweater, puffy and rain gear. Probably a few other things I am forgetting.

Cuboid.jpgLuggage.jpg

dstefan

Yeah, it’s not that deep, but I am always amazed how much it holds. My wife and I pack all our clothes in it including some bulkier cold weather sleep wear and other misc nighttime stuff we want handy, but put our heavy pants, pile pullovers, jackets, etc in another soft sided zip bag in the rear truck seat or the attic. We put heavier pants, jackets, being actively worn on hooks overnight. It still gets a little cluttered with the stuff on the hooks, but it’s much better than any other system we’ve tried. I think if one was solo, you could put everything in one of these easily with the exception of heavy jackets.

We used that approach for a month long trip last fall and it worked well.

They do recommend rolling your clothes for more effecient packing, and it really does help.

shirk

I pack myself and our two boys clothes into a combo of Ikea bags.

First stuff gets split up into the packing cubes. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/rensare-clothes-bag-set-of-3-check-pattern-gray-black-30432502/

Those all get put into one of these Ikea bags that zip up. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/knalla-bag-black-white-00473693/

The larger bag is made out of the same material as the in-store Ikea bags, it's tough stuff and seems to hold up well, but it's just getting stuffed in the back of a van and not a truck bed. Note the material has a crinkle sound to it when moved around. I'll have one of these full of the clothes for three of us and a second one for mountain bike helmets and stuff.

Out bedding all gets stuff into a couple of these. https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/paerkla-storage-case-50395382/

The space behind the rear row of our van ends up with three of the bedding bags and two of the zip bags.

ITTOG

Yeah, it’s not that deep, but I am always amazed how much it holds. My wife and I pack all our clothes in it including some bulkier cold weather sleep wear and other misc nighttime stuff we want handy, but put our heavy pants, pile pullovers, jackets, etc in another soft sided zip bag in the rear truck seat or the attic. We put heavier pants, jackets, being actively worn on hooks overnight. It still gets a little cluttered with the stuff on the hooks, but it’s much better than any other system we’ve tried. I think if one was solo, you could put everything in one of these easily with the exception of heavy jackets.

We used that approach for a month long trip last fall and it worked well.

They do recommend rolling your clothes for more effecient packing, and it really does help.
Excellent point about rolling up your clothes. I wasn't thinking of that and it definitely makes my comment invalid now.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I enjoy threads like this. Great learning opportunity for gearbag nerd that owns a gear/sewing company!

I have to give credit to Maxpediton. They really were one of first to create so many functional designs (I still have their med bag in my Tiger and several others in my stock pile).......unfortunately, when they sourced overseas things changed (like so many bag companies).

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I enjoy threads like this. Great learning opportunity for gearbag nerd that owns a gear/sewing company!

I have to give credit to Maxpediton. They really were one of first to create so many functional designs (I still have their med bag in my Tiger and several others in my stock pile).......unfortunately, when they sourced overseas things changed (like so many bag companies).
I have really abused a lot of their gear. That green sling bag I bought in high school. It’s been with me longer than any other piece of gear. Including full time school. Every flight or trip I have ever taken. there have been many.. I am 33 now…. graduated high school in 08.... I think they were a 2yr old company at that point.

IMG00150-20110722-0926.jpgIMG00151-20110722-0926.jpg

Its held up well, I have two of the large buckles that are starting to crack. And for $9 apiece. They will put new ones on if I send it back. And are going to fix the pocket as “warranty” even though the thing is over 10 years old. And I was very honest with how it’s been used.
IMG_20230627_064926_957.jpg

And a pocket starting to tear.

IMG_20230708_124107_683.jpg

I have only used their “legacy” series. So I am unable to peak to their other designs. They never seemed to even attempt to break into the “overland” or travel market.

Paul, your ATC stuff is beautifully crafted. I always admired the stitching, and the Velcro you put on stuff for labels. The Velcro label tabs are worth triple their weight in gold, and the ability to color code.
In the Austere Medicine world, it was very common to see permanent marker labels on cloth medical tape for bags, and interior pouches. It was a bit like an MRE..it worked…but left a lot to be desired.

Seems silly until you are organizing kit for extended travels as well as allowing the modular ability to quickly change the load out based on the day. And real zippers! Gear like that will probably outlast me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior