For packing clothing...

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have really abused a lot of their gear. That green sling bag I bought in high school. Its been with me longer than another piece of gear. Including full time school. Every flight or trip I have ever taken. there have been many.. I am 33 now….graduated high school in 08.... I think they were a 2yr old company at that point.

View attachment 787248View attachment 787249
Its held up well, I have two of the large buckles that are starting to crack. And for $9 apiece. They will put new ones on if I send it back. And are going to fix the pocket as “warranty” even though the thing is over 10 years old. And I was very honest with how its been used.

View attachment 787246

And a pocket starting to tear.

View attachment 787247

I have only used their “legacy” series. So I am unable to peak to their other designs. They never seemed to even attempt to break into the “overland” or travel market.

Paul, your ATC stuff is beautifully crafted. I always admired the stitching, and the Velcro you put on stuff for labels. The velcro label tabs are worth tripple their weight in gold, and the ability to color code.
In the Austere Medicine world, it was very common to see permanent marker labels on cloth medical tape for bags, and interior pouches. It was a bit like an MRE..it worked…but left a lot to be desired.

Seems silly until you are organizing kit for extended travels as well as allwoing the modular ability to quickly change the load out bassed on the day. And real zippers! Gear like that will probably outlast me.

Great post! Love seeing real bags, working in the real world, with real people versus the insta world.

I may make some bags but I can also respect, admire and enjoy other brands for their unique qualities. (closet Filson ho)

I've recently returned to my "tactical" roots and created several custom bags for a small group of pirates and it's gotten me all fired up to move into the travel bag realm.

Example:ATC 3 Day Mission Bag (Clothes, Toiletries, Tech pocket, Office supplies, padded computer pocket, Radio, Medical, Back-up, snack/food pocket and level 3a/trauma plate inserts.....enough for 72 hours in a strange, scary town) Made in Colorado with USA pieces and parts!0BEC0B71-9E9B-4516-8710-DDFFF6234A1E.jpegB2294578-F21D-4359-B0B1-150A71EA429A.jpegE4EB4D66-1C8D-42D8-99CF-6823F4C7C30F.jpeg7291B1F6-7963-4337-BE3E-B11690D0907E.jpegF5635D65-D8FF-400F-ACB0-EAA97AE60C2A.jpeg

These are bouncing around the world right now! Hope to put some more fun stuff out soon! Cheers.

ChasingOurTrunks

We have a drawer system we built ourselves, and it's sized so that these Eagle Creek Packing Cubes fit in them perfectly:

Typically I have one for socks, underwear, and specialty clothing (swim, exercise) and one for shirts and pants. Wife has two and son has two and that's enough for all our stuff including winter gear.

gatorgrizz27

I like North Face Base Camp duffels personally. They are tube shaped, compressible, have backpack straps for occasional carry when your hands are full, and tend to not get snagged on things. They aren’t a true dry bag but are durable and water resistant. Downside to some would be lack of organization, but it works well for me to have two stacks of clothing in the main compartment, and then toiletries and chargers in the zippered mesh in the lid.

COAKXterra

Great post! Love seeing real bags, working in the real world, with real people versus the insta world.

I may make some bags but I can also respect, admire and enjoy other brands for their unique qualities. (closet Filson ho)

I've recently returned to my "tactical" roots and created several custom bags for a small group of pirates and it's gotten me all fired up to move into the travel bag realm.

Example:ATC 3 Day Mission Bag (Clothes, Toiletries, Tech pocket, Office supplies, padded computer pocket, Radio, Medical, Back-up, snack/food pocket and level 3a/trauma plate inserts.....enough for 72 hours in a strange, scary town) Made in Colorado with USA pieces and parts!View attachment 787250View attachment 787251View attachment 787252View attachment 787253View attachment 787254

These are bouncing around the world right now! Hope to put some more fun stuff out soon! Cheers.
Oh. I am gonna follow up with you. That’s amazing. I’m always looking for a good flight bag and I’ve got some questions.

Back on topic…. We use the REI duffels for me and our kiddo, and my wife uses a similar Patagonia bag. All different colors, all 60L. Fits in overhead compartments on airplanes. Theyve been great. Appropriately priced, and when packed well with rolled clothing or “gear cubes” they fit us really well each for 3-7days. We don’t use them for multi-activity though (ie… not gonna carry one for a hike). I do wish there was a little better in the additional pockets/compartment realm, but it is a minor worry when using packing cubes or when stuff isn’t getting filthy. But they are decent sized, easy to shove into spots when packing Tetris gets expert, and have held up well.

COAKXterra

I like North Face Base Camp duffels personally. They are tube shaped, compressible, have backpack straps for occasional carry when your hands are full, and tend to not get snagged on things. They aren’t a true dry bag but are durable and water resistant. Downside to some would be lack of organization, but it works well for me to have two stacks of clothing in the main compartment, and then toiletries and chargers in the zippered mesh in the lid.
I’ve beat the hell out of my NF duffels on 4 continents, ranging from sea level to 18,000ft via mules back, and 110F to being kicked out of an aircraft at -40 at the south pole, and I’ll second this. They are fantastic bags. My go-to for big trips.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
When I started backpacking I got tired of living out of stuff sacks quickly. I learned how to make duffle bags. It's not hard. Any size I want, any material I want, as rugged as I want, waterproof, dustproof, or breathable.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Here's another one. Mine is a 9-11 Tactical brand;

8ed5e405-f3a0-5e09-85fc-c28974067533.jpg

Same thing.

SBSYNCRO

Here's another one. Mine is a 9-11 Tactical brand;

8ed5e405-f3a0-5e09-85fc-c28974067533.jpg

Same thing.

I’ve got something similar but the exterior buckles and pouches tend to snag on things when trying to stow/extract it from a Tetris cube of gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotoDave

Explorer
My wife and I both use the Patagonia black hole duffels for almost everything (another reason we haven't felt the need to dev a product that we already like). She uses a 55l and I use a 45l.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/b...var_49342_color=PEPL&cgid=luggage-duffel-bags
I have a 10+ year old version of that carry on patagonia bag and it works great for me up to about 4 day trips. Beyond that, or when kids are along, I have a couple of smaller (45L?) black hole duffels.

I much prefer soft sided bags for clothing since they'll fit in more places in the vehicle.

Steadfast Rocky

I have a 10+ year old version of that carry on patagonia bag and it works great for me up to about 4 day trips. Beyond that, or when kids are along, I have a couple of smaller (45L?) black hole duffels.

I much prefer soft sided bags for clothing since they'll fit in more places in the vehicle.
I have zero use for hard side luggage if it isn't a pelican for airline travel.

I wish Patagonia wouldn't feel the need to fiddle with their offerings so often. I at times have pondered buying 2 of each bag for when one gets worn out. (I have put holes in the fabric)

COAKXterra

Example:ATC 3 Day Mission Bag (Clothes, Toiletries, Tech pocket, Office supplies, padded computer pocket, Radio, Medical, Back-up, snack/food pocket and level 3a/trauma plate inserts.....enough for 72 hours in a strange, scary town) Made in Colorado with USA pieces and parts!

So… just have to say that I’m unbelievably stoked with this so far as a flight/travel bag. It goes in the aircraft with me daily with all the stuff I’d need for 1-2days securely inside and I’ve bounced around on a couple few-day trips with it recently and it’s been fantastic. After spending so much time in the past with the “black hole” that was my old Patagonia flight bag (which I still loved despite its non-organized status), its quite nice to just be able to organize and pack for a few days and have everything set. 🤙🏼

IMG_7445.jpeg

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
So… just have to say that I’m unbelievably stoked with this so far as a flight/travel bag. It goes in the aircraft with me daily with all the stuff I’d need for 1-2days securely inside and I’ve bounced around on a couple few-day trips with it recently and it’s been fantastic. After spending so much time in the past with the “black hole” that was my old Patagonia flight bag (which I still loved despite its non-organized status), its quite nice to just be able to organize and pack for a few days and have everything set. 🤙🏼

View attachment 809365
That's just cool!

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior