Ford F700 Build

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Thanks Captain Kenny. I am currently finishing up the final touches. I hope to take the truck to the mechanics next week so he can go through everything. We are hoping to leave for our trip sometime next month. I am excited but there is so much left to square away before we leave. We have begun a blog for our trip: adventuresinskyhorse.com.

I have learned a lot from this community. I wish you all the best.

photo_zpsd7a47451.jpg

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Don't you think it would be wise to take a few shorter shake-down trips first? Maybe the first one for a week, than the next one for 2+ weeks.

Sorry about dragging my feet on the spare parts list.

We will test out the camper for a couple of days around town then head up to my in laws four hours away. After that we go to my parents which is another four hours. I figure we can really check it out on those trips. But so far I have tested all the systems and they work properly.

Whenever you get that completed I would love to see it. Thanks Jack.

familyvan

Adventurer
Awesome Build!!!
I have read and reread the thread a few times and was curious to what your answer was to gain a few more mph for highway driving, or if you left it as is?
Apologize if I missed it. Thanks for documenting your build

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Awesome Build!!!
I have read and reread the thread a few times and was curious to what your answer was to gain a few more mph for highway driving, or if you left it as is?
Apologize if I missed it. Thanks for documenting your build

Thanks Familyvan. I ultimately left the truck as is. The options were to regear the axles, increase tire size, or add an overdrive. All the options involved at least a couple of thousand dollars. I realized I'm okay with it being slow. I need to slow down my life and start to see things clearer in a more profound way. I also want the trip to be slow. I traveled many a time only spending a day or two in a place. I don't recall those times. The places I spent weeks are the fondest. If my life gets to the point where I need to speed up the truck so it becomes more practical to use it, then I'll revisit the issue then.

defrag4

Road Warrior
awesome build bud! trust me 55mph is plenty fast for traveling mexico and central america. we'll be flying back to Miami on May 7th, if you guys are still around we would love to meet up and give you guys some pointers on traveling around down there.

hdemetrious

Adventurer
awesome build bud! trust me 55mph is plenty fast for traveling mexico and central america. we'll be flying back to Miami on May 7th, if you guys are still around we would love to meet up and give you guys some pointers on traveling around down there.

Thank you James and Lauren. We are planning on being in New Orleans at that time. But if our plans change, we would love to meet up. Thank you for your offer.

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I have been seeing this truck all over Austin and the Hill Country this weekend!!! Once on Mopac in Town and then on my way home from climbing at E-rock yesterday! Should of tried to Flag you down! Truck looks Great!

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Thanks guys. We were in Austin for a few days. We are actually planning on moving to Austin at the end of our travels. We are now in Santa Fe trying to make it to Alaska by mid July.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Great build! We'll be travelling south across the border sometime in late October. Looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing this thing in person! All of a sudden our truck is really small and really boring.

hdemetrious

Adventurer
We have been on the road for 5 months now. We just arrived in Bellingham, WA. We spent a month in Alaska. It's their rainy season now. We picked up the pace a little to get out of the rain and cold. You get updates on our blog adventuresinskyhorse.com.

I have had to replace the u joints on the front axle, the wiper motor, a coolant hose, and the starter. Other than that it's been routine maintenance. The air lines have a burning smell which I have yet to figure out.

The cabin should have been better sealed. We get dust inside after being on dirt roads and in Mosquitos have made their way inside. The condensation in the plane has been heavy in the cold weather. I should have put something as a barrier for the condensation so it doesn't come through the panels. I didn't install a heater so we use the stove which works fine. There is an occasional leak that I find when it rains. The max fan quite working, the company sent me a new motor at no cost. The rear back up camera quite working, who cares. The horizontal propane tank valve wouldn't allow us to fill it. No one in Fairbanks had the part to fix it. I bought a standard 20lbs tank and now use it. In the furure i will use non custom components so that can be serviced or replaced in many locations. Anyway there is always little projects going on to keep me busy.

It's awesome not working and seeing new things with my wife and two dogs. I feel very fortunate and I am glad I stuck with the build to completion. I love the bright smiles and amazement skyhorse brings to people. People have lots of questions unfortunately they are redundant. Here's to many more memories.

hdemetrious

Adventurer
We reached our final destination, Panama City, and we are currently in Antigua, Guatemala slowly making our way back home. Although we still do not know where we will settle down. We have been on the road for about a year and a half. My wife and I decided to self publish a book about our travels. It's not meant to be a guide book but rather a personal experience book. Here is a link to the Kickstarter, a crowd funded, campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2094800206/adventures-in-skyhorse

The link will take you to our page. At the top is a video we created describing the project. Below the video is an excerpt from the book. And to the right is the gifts you will receive depending on the size of your contribution. Check it out and see what you think. We hope you enjoy it and consider it a worthwhile endeavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior