Ford or Ram?

Between the 2 I'd pick the Ford. The 6.4 hemi performs well on paper, but it doesn't translate in the real world, plus the g80 locker they put in them is a POS.

Ram does not use a g80 locker only the GM versions of the AAM 11.5 do. They use a helical LSD and the PW uses an E locker.

Yeah that must factor in the Flux capacitor.
All the testing has shown the 6.4 even with mds to get slightly worse than the Ford 6.2, and the Ford 6.2 is not very good on gas. Motor trend just did a comparison between the 2 trucks, the Ford out pulled it and got better mileage doing it. Also the Ike gauntlet is another good test that has shown the 6.4 not to perform in the real world quite as good as it shows on paper. I think it's a great truck, just one step behind the Ford IMO.

That's weird because the Ram 2500 6.4 dominated this comparison, winning 10 of the 16 events. Here it performed just as good in real world as it does on paper.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks...arter-ton-hd-challenge-and-the-winner-is.html

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
That's weird because the Ram 2500 6.4 dominated this comparison, winning 10 of the 16 events. Here it performed just as good in real world as it does on paper.
http://special-reports.pickuptrucks...arter-ton-hd-challenge-and-the-winner-is.html
I was speaking about my particular application, which ii pulling a trailer. On the Eisenhower pass for some reason the Ram just did horrible compared to the Chevy and Ford. I'm not sure why but the TFL guys experienced the same thing. I think the driving dynamics and saggy rear end have been corrected by Ford with the new models.

I was speaking about my particular application, which ii pulling a trailer. On the Eisenhower pass for some reason the Ram just did horrible compared to the Chevy and Ford. I'm not sure why but the TFL guys experienced the same thing. I think the driving dynamics and saggy rear end have been corrected by Ford with the new models.

Yeah I'm not sure why the Ram did so bad on the Eisenhower but does great everywhere else. Ram claims that the truck goes into a certain mode when on long steep inclines in order to save the transmission for longer life so the computer doesn't let the truck downshift, it's a "hold gear feature" whatever the hell that means.

Correction, my bad I assumed since the axles were very similar that the "lockers" were also. The helical LSD in RAM is a POS IMO.

Personally I really like the LSD in the Ram, would I prefer a real locker of course, but I have been on lots of trails here in Utah and have no issues keeping up with friends who have FJ's and Jeeps.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Personally I really like the LSD in the Ram, would I prefer a real locker of course, but I have been on lots of trails here in Utah and have no issues keeping up with friends who have FJ's and Jeeps.
I just re-read the towing report, the Ram had more weight in it than the Ford, about 2k more. So that hill test I referred to is worthless, it wasn't a good way to compare the trucks IMO.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'm just sour with it because my doesn't work, and on top of that if skips and clanks on dry ground going around corners, but the dealership and corporate say it works fine. Mine feels like a square wheel wagon going around a corner on an incline, and its magnified if you have a trailer behind you.

I'm just sour with it because my doesn't work, and on top of that if skips and clanks on dry ground going around corners, but the dealership and corporate say it works fine. Mine feels like a square wheel wagon going around a corner on an incline, and its magnified if you have a trailer behind you.

Yeah that's really strange usually LSD's don't skip and clank like that, mine is smooth as butter. Is this a work truck? I wonder if somebody at some point installed a detroit or lunch box style locker in there.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Its my personal/work truck. I bought it new. Its something that too tight internally my guess. You can change the fluid and it almost totally goes away for 4 or 5k miles. They even added friction modifier but that only worked for 4 or 5k miles. At 65k miles the fluid has been changed out twice already.

kraven

Hegelian Scum
I'd pull the cover and make sure you don't have something out of spec in that diff. Even if you have to cover the cost.
I've seen trucks that locked the rear going down the road when the lsd grenaded and put parts between the ring/pinion.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I'd pull the cover and make sure you don't have something out of spec in that diff. Even if you have to cover the cost.
I've seen trucks that locked the rear going down the road when the lsd grenaded and put parts between the ring/pinion.

I've had the cover off, and so has the dealer. Everything looks OK visually, at least to my un-educated eyes anyways. This truck will be someone else problem within 6 months.

TwinStick

Explorer
FWIW-All 3 of my Dodge trucks seemed to "sheer" the oil quickly. 2000 Dakota, 2004 2500, 2008 Dodge Power Wagon (which i still have). I tried all different types & weights of full synthetic gear lube. It didn't matter. after 10-12,000 miles the rear axle was noisy. Change the fluid & it was instantly gone, but came back in 10-12k miles. Then I added 1 qt of Lucas Lube 140 wt gear oil to the full synth gear oil. Noise stayed gone for 24,000 miles, but i changed it out anyways. Fluid is much cheaper than a new axle. I still change it at around 24-25k.

I used to tow a 30'-10,500 lb toy hauler with the 2004 2500 & the Power Wagon. I have recorded some CRAZY temps on my rear diff cover, with a laser thermometer, when i was towing that camper. 1150 lb empty hitch weight. Highest was 315*F (I changed the diff fluid as soon as I got home). Another time it was 254*F. These were on 95*F days. I have since put a Mag-Hytech diff cover on, which took the fluid cap. from 3 qts to 6 qts. I have not towed far with it on yet. But when i did, I was getting temps of 170*F. (NOTE: We have since traded the toy hauler & got an 18'-3500 lb camper with a 350 lb empty hitch weight). I am thinking the low gears (4.56) in the PW just don't like to do the 70 mph+ speed limits in most states. Maybe I should just slow down, but then risk getting hit from behind on the highways.

Tiki

Observer
Ford engines seam to be more prone to catastrophic failure, Chrysler vehicle quality generally sucks, so GM usually gets the nod for me. On the farm we were exclusively GM/Gas and never had an issue. I would agree with an earlier poster that cautioned the diesel over gas... expensive to buy and maintain. Doesn't mean that I don't want one too though :smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman

Members online