Ford or Ram?

Clutch

<---Pass
Commercial versus private party/RV. Totally different can of worms.
Jack

It certainly is a totally different can of worms....the RV market is a bit nutty, while it does vary by state, find it crazy you don't need a CDL to drive one of those massive motor homes...hey I know, lets allow geriatrics with one foot in the grave to pilot them...seems totally wacky to me.

You guys can do whatever you want, I have driven well overloaded vehicles in my construction days...it isn't fun, you're a danger to yourself and others. Dudes like to boast and turn it into a ******** swinging party by how much they haul/tow....Me personally...don't care for the pissing contest, like to be at about half of the vehicle's max payload and towing, like a little bit of over kill.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
... like to be at about half of the vehicle's max payload and towing, like a little bit of over kill.

Same here. Over the thanksgiving break, I saw a Honda Pilot towing a 30ft camper, bouncing like a horse around a merry go round, using the tongue jack as a skid plate.:Wow1:
_
I've gone over GVWR as well on older cars. Only a handful of times and regret having done so. I also like to keep a fairly big margin of buffer in towing and hauling weight. It makes the drive so much more pleasurable.

birdiecat

palomino 1251 1800 lbs 2 people 350 lbs 20 gallons water 200 lbs food clothing propane pots pans and other stuff , truck and camper cam in at 9990 lbs on the scales

p nut

butter
That made think of this. :D

Holy crap. That's scary (and funny...hope no one was hurt). I've towed enough heavy loads to know you don't mess around trying to push limits. Which is why I shied away from mid size, and if I ever tow regularly, I'll look into a 3/4 ton. My old man is looking at a 27' Airstream and thought his Tahoe with max tow would handle it. Finally convinced him to sell it and get a 3/4 ton (or 1 ton) to pull it with.

p nut

butter
I've never owned a diesel, but I've always like them, even before they became "cool" like they are today. What really is the difference in operating cost with these new diesels?

Obviously the diesel costs more to buy initially. Also the fuel itself costs more (around here its about 20-30 cents more per gallon, which would easily negate any MPG savings), and I'm assuming basic maintenance like oil changes costs a little more. Anything else?

As for the increased complexity that everyone points out, are they just referring to the turbocharger and emissions stuff?

Been reading about the 6.7 PSD and even though lots of people were skeptical about the new design, I think they sound quite impressive. It sounds as though Ford keeps improving them every year. Of course everyone knows the Cummins sets the standard.

Haven't had time to go look at anything in person lately. Hoping to test drive two Rams (a gas and a diesel) as well as a PSD Ford this weekend.

How did the test drives go? I was just on the chevy and ford sites doing a "when the kids are out of the house" builds--2500/3500 regular cab, 8' bed + FWC, and got too excited and worked up. But that's a long time away and who knows, all trucks may be 100% electric by then.

Clutch

<---Pass
Holy crap. That's scary (and funny...hope no one was hurt). I've towed enough heavy loads to know you don't mess around trying to push limits. Which is why I shied away from mid size, and if I ever tow regularly, I'll look into a 3/4 ton. My old man is looking at a 27' Airstream and thought his Tahoe with max tow would handle it. Finally convinced him to sell it and get a 3/4 ton (or 1 ton) to pull it with.

My uncle had something similar happen to him, while not overloaded...he forgot to hook up the safety chains on the Bobcat trailer...he is cruising along down a hill, and the trailer passed him on the left. Thank goodness no one was coming the other way...road luckily came to a T, which happened to have a cemetery on the other side...it went over the embankment and crashing through the fence, knocking over a head stone. He never forgot to hook up the safety chains ever again after that.

We used to tow the Bobcats with the 1 tons mainly, these are old gassers mind you...they pulled them fine, but the C70 Dump, would pull and stop it like it wasn't even back there. I preferred the C70 over the 1 tons.

Yeah, nothing like having the right tool for the job. With camping and traveling...either take less stuff or get a bigger truck. So many overloaded vehicles on this site...

IPA

Observer
How did the test drives go? I was just on the chevy and ford sites doing a "when the kids are out of the house" builds--2500/3500 regular cab, 8' bed + FWC, and got too excited and worked up. But that's a long time away and who knows, all trucks may be 100% electric by then.

Actually haven't had a chance to look at anything else yet. Had things come up the past two weekends so I just haven't had time. I would like to drive the diesels, but I'm still 90% sure that I'm going to go with a gas engine, so I'm really not too worried about it. I just need to find the time to talk to a few dealerships.

I'm leaning towards a shortbed crew cab F-350 XL or XLT 6.2 with the 4.3 axle ratio with rear locker, the plow/camper package, the factory skid plates, remote start, up fitter switches, factory spray-in bedliner, tailgate step, the larger tires (you can actually get OEM 33" tires) and pretty basic besides that. The MSRP comes out to about $47k on the website, man that is pricey but it's all the goodies I want. That gives me a 3700# payload rating, I think. I really can't see myself ever needing to mod it any further than front and rear bumpers and some lights, maybe some mild suspension upgrades eventually. And a lightweight pop-up camper, of course.

I've always been a Jeep and Toyota guy but what got me looking at full-size trucks in the first place is the FWC. I've always thought truck campers were cool as long as they weren't too big, and the FWC's are just awesome. I want one of those so bad.

jmoney

Fuel filters are really expensive like 75 bucks a piece, and the truck has 2 of them. Those get replaced every 15k. I did the math and the diesel vs. gas at 26k miles per year for me is close to even in operating costs assuming the gas gets 4mpg worse than the diesel. Diesel cost 9k more upfront and is worth 5k more when it has 100k on the odometer. Bottom line gas is still cheaper if you don't need to tow 15k plus trailers, but after 100k I give the nod to gas because it'll cost a hell of a lot less to repair.

Yup. It costs more to run a diesel. There is no denying that. The fuel is usually more. The oil changes cost more, and don't forget you have to do a DPF service every 75-80k as well and that cost several hundreds of dollars.

However, after a few years of owning a Ram 2500, 6.7 in the basic tradesman model, its all worth it I have been on some very long road trips, very nasty offroad trails, and have driven through hands down some of the most bizarre and terrible weather. This thing just does not skip a beat. The only concern I have ever had is finding a good place to fuel up, and that will be alleived shortly with the addition of an inbed aux tank giving me nearly 2000 mile range.

Add 35s?. Whole different truck. Didn't even have to lift it. Did it with stock wheels. When I actually do get around to change the suspension and wheels its hard for me to imagine how the truck could even get better.

If you are on the fence. Go drive one, there is just something about the raw grunt of the diesel that has taken over for me. I actually still like my truck more and more as time goes by, and it has been a couple years now. Every time I drive any gas truck now it is kind of a "meh" experience compared to a diesel. It just feels wimpy when you are used to 800+ft/lbs of torque.

js9234

Observer
Yup. It costs more to run a diesel. There is no denying that. The fuel is usually more. The oil changes cost more, and don't forget you have to do a DPF service every 75-80k as well and that cost several hundreds of dollars.

However, after a few years of owning a Ram 2500, 6.7 in the basic tradesman model, its all worth it I have been on some very long road trips, very nasty offroad trails, and have driven through hands down some of the most bizarre and terrible weather. This thing just does not skip a beat. The only concern I have ever had is finding a good place to fuel up, and that will be alleived shortly with the addition of an inbed aux tank giving me nearly 2000 mile range.

Add 35s?. Whole different truck. Didn't even have to lift it. Did it with stock wheels. When I actually do get around to change the suspension and wheels its hard for me to imagine how the truck could even get better.

If you are on the fence. Go drive one, there is just something about the raw grunt of the diesel that has taken over for me. I actually still like my truck more and more as time goes by, and it has been a couple years now. Every time I drive any gas truck now it is kind of a "meh" experience compared to a diesel. It just feels wimpy when you are used to 800+ft/lbs of torque.

I agree with everything except the bold. You don't have to do the DPF service. That was only on 2012 and older trucks but still wasn't a requirement. I had a 2012 2500 with a Hemi and now a 2014 3500 with a Cummins. I'll never go back to gas after having my current truck. I have taken this thing in some places people wouldn't believe and never skipped a beat.

jmoney

I agree with everything except the bold. You don't have to do the DPF service. That was only on 2012 and older trucks but still wasn't a requirement. I had a 2012 2500 with a Hemi and now a 2014 3500 with a Cummins. I'll never go back to gas after having my current truck. I have taken this thing in some places people wouldn't believe and never skipped a beat.

Thats really good to hear. I was not looking forward to that one.

I am in the same boat. I will never go back to gas.

p nut

butter
Actually haven't had a chance to look at anything else yet. Had things come up the past two weekends so I just haven't had time. I would like to drive the diesels, but I'm still 90% sure that I'm going to go with a gas engine, so I'm really not too worried about it. I just need to find the time to talk to a few dealerships.

I'm leaning towards a shortbed crew cab F-350 XL or XLT 6.2 with the 4.3 axle ratio with rear locker, the plow/camper package, the factory skid plates, remote start, up fitter switches, factory spray-in bedliner, tailgate step, the larger tires (you can actually get OEM 33" tires) and pretty basic besides that. The MSRP comes out to about $47k on the website, man that is pricey but it's all the goodies I want. That gives me a 3700# payload rating, I think. I really can't see myself ever needing to mod it any further than front and rear bumpers and some lights, maybe some mild suspension upgrades eventually. And a lightweight pop-up camper, of course.

I've always been a Jeep and Toyota guy but what got me looking at full-size trucks in the first place is the FWC. I've always thought truck campers were cool as long as they weren't too big, and the FWC's are just awesome. I want one of those so bad.

You should be able to get a fairly good discount off of that MSRP, especially towards the end of the year and maybe beginning of 2017. But the options on the F350 looks right on. Be careful with the factory bed liner. I had my dealer do it and they did a crappy job. And I don't like the texture (too rough and grippy). Wish I would've gone to a Linex dealer.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You should be able to get a fairly good discount off of that MSRP, especially towards the end of the year and maybe beginning of 2017. But the options on the F350 looks right on. Be careful with the factory bed liner. I had my dealer do it and they did a crappy job. And I don't like the texture (too rough and grippy). Wish I would've gone to a Linex dealer.

2017's are going for about 10% right now from my experience. Rebates are only 1k, but I suspect by January it'll be 2 or 3k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger