Ford Super Duty overlanding tool list?

Sendit6.5

I’m trying to put together a fairly comprehensive tool kit for my ‘22 F-350 Diesel Tremor. Something that will allow me to take care of most of my trailside repairs on my specific truck. Has anyone on here ever compiled a list like this for a ‘17+ diesel Super Duty? If so, would you mind sharing it here?

Tool bags get very heavy very quickly. So, I thought that getting advice on (for example) the most common bolt head sizes would allow me to leave a fair number of them at home. That ought to help lighten the load. Also, I want to make sure I take those tools that are fairly unique to my truck. For example, for my ‘07 F-350 6.0L diesel, there are specific sockets for removing the OEM fuel and oil filter caps. You get the idea.

Anyway, I figured I’d check here first, to see if anyone already had a solid gear list. If not, when I get finished with mine, I’ll post a spreadsheet on here with my own list.

Hope y’all are having a great day!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Other than traction boards, straps/general recovery gear and tire puncture kit, do you really think anything else is needed for a brand new truck? I would be more worried about packing tools for your 6.0 compared to a new diesel.

Something else also came to mind when reading your post. Yes, tools get heavy quickly but if your platform is an F350 are you really worried about the extra, what, 20 Lbs max of tools?

I'm also not a diesel guy so I am kind of commenting blind here... and yes I also pack too many tools lol soooooo

When I go out I just throw the general tools in a tool roll. Pliers, screw drivers, wrenches and a few other random things that I think I might need.

Explorerinil

Observer
I keep it simple, a inch and metric socket set, adjustable wrench, torx head drivers, screw drivers, small portable air pump, tire patch kit and basic recovery gear. Years ago I would travle loaded down with a large jack, extra u joints, and some times a small generator and various tools… I never used any of them. I since prefer to travel lighter. Don’t over think it, there’s ford dealers everywhere and these trucks are pretty darn reliable. For your diesel just throw a set of filters under the seat, and include what I mentioned and you’ll be fine.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yep, keep it simple.

If it helps, I remind myself that as long as a
vehicle can hold its fluids, charge, and keep itself cool, you are doing great.

So the basics I carry for spares for our superduty is pretty short.
Radiator hoses, Serpentine belt, and Alternator, and fuses. Thats it.

Tool kit is what has been described by the last post.

?

Superduty

Adventurer
I’m trying to put together a fairly comprehensive tool kit for my ‘22 F-350 Diesel Tremor. Something that will allow me to take care of most of my trailside repairs on my specific truck. Has anyone on here ever compiled a list like this for a ‘17+ diesel Super Duty? If so, would you mind sharing it here?

Tool bags get very heavy very quickly. So, I thought that getting advice on (for example) the most common bolt head sizes would allow me to leave a fair number of them at home. That ought to help lighten the load. Also, I want to make sure I take those tools that are fairly unique to my truck. For example, for my ‘07 F-350 6.0L diesel, there are specific sockets for removing the OEM fuel and oil filter caps. You get the idea.

Anyway, I figured I’d check here first, to see if anyone already had a solid gear list. If not, when I get finished with mine, I’ll post a spreadsheet on here with my own list.

I can't help you much on tools very specific for a 22, but if you have that list for your 07, please send it my way.

As some folks mentioned above, it's a 22, you will hopefully have minimal break downs. As far as stuff you will be able to fix and could potentially break: Most breakdowns you will likely get it towed to the dealer for warranty. But if you like to go to off grid areas where a tow out is not likely, then you will need to be able to fix certain things.

Tool to remove the serpentine belt (on my truck a 1/2" breaker bar is the best tool).
Tools to change hoses (special pliers for those clamp rings)
A computer and Forescan or Auto Enginuity to diagnose problems.
Tools to replace ujoints.
Battery impact wrench for lug nuts (I carry Milwaukee impact)
Tire repair kit.
Volt meter along with some extra wire, terminal ends, crimper and cutter.
Basic socket set and wrenches if you want to be able to R and R stuff like a starter or alternator.

The reality is, an engine or trans failure on a 22 could be fairly hard to diagnose and fix in the sitcks. Internet access to one of the Ford Diesel Forums could turn out to be your best tool.

I have a 99 F350. There are tools specific to my truck, but the question always remains as to what should be brought along. Some of the tools turn out to be useless if I don't have the replacement part with me (which I don't). HPOP lines are a good example. If I break an HPOP line, the tools to remove the quick disconnects doesn't do much good, unless I have a replacement line. On the other hand the tool to remove the fuel filter cover is a useful one to have, even without a replacement fuel filter.

So In the end I will have to get to a town to get the part and once I am in town, I will likely have to simply buy the tool.

Jupiter58

Yeah, there pretty much is nothing you are going to fix and it’s not like you can take that into very difficult stuff.
You are likely going to need tools to fix any accessories you add to the truck.

XJLI

Adventurer
Agree with most others on here. If I just spent $75k on a new truck, no way I am taking up space with tools to repair it because it better not be breaking down. Basic kit to change a tire or repair accidental damage. Spend your money on a good scan tool to diagnose and break it out of any sort of odd diesel limp modes.

tacollie

Glamper
A typically have a socket set, pliers, screwdrivers, hammer, and a breaker bar. They mostly get used on other people's trucks though. Only thing I like to know is I have a way to jump my battery if it goes dead and I carry an extra wheel speed sensor. Besides that I count on maintenance and cautious driving. If we're traveling with friends I always take the rear because slow is smooth. It's fun to watch my Toyota buddies bounce around on bad lines and then smoothly crawl past them in my big truck?

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
Basic tools, sockets, short and long screwdrivers, crescent wrench. Breaker bar with up and down converters. Super basic wire repair hit with splice ends. Grease, spare fluids, funnels. Model specific things, I have a 7.3 powerstroke so I carry the big 4 sensors (CPS etc), hoses belts. Battery jumper pack. All that said the thing that has been used the most over the last few years? A roll of steel wire. Fixed exhaust hangers, held bumpers on, fixed broken tranny cable linkages. Heck I've improvised a grill for the steaks with the stuff.

Superduty

Adventurer
Yeah, there pretty much is nothing you are going to fix and it’s not like you can take that into very difficult stuff.
You are likely going to need tools to fix any accessories you add to the truck.

What do you mean, "not like you can that that into very difficult stuff"?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

The shop I use did a 6.7 Tremor last week with a full Carli 2.5 pintop system. Really nice fit and finish. Get the Ford factory sponsored service contract aka extended warranty before the factory complete warranty expires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior