Found a dead cat....lets beat it!...Tires?

RichardT

Adventurer
Ok, so I lurked on here awhile before I started actually posting, and have been posting here long enough that this subject has been tossed around quite a bit. I did a search, and was unable to find old posts that dealt with this enough to answer a couple of questions.

First off, some ground rules....I have a 95 Montero SR, in case that wasn't obvious from my signature, I have stock rims, and I aim to keep it that way. I also don't intend to go over 33 inches in diameter, so off-roader, don't try and convince me ;)

First question is, I have the stock rims, they are 15 inches I know, but the width is 9.5 inches correct?

Second is, I had heard that for overlanding, a narrower tire is better (hard core rock crawling isn't my thing, I'd like to go over some rocks, but I prefer the destination over the difficulty of the road getting there on a trip if you get what I mean) is it true the narrower one is better? Why?

Third, I was looking at 10.5 inch tires, and boy, there are not a lot of options out there for them, especially when compared to the 12.5, if I decided to go with the 12.5 inch tires, will they fit my stock rims? And with my OME lift, will they even fit my wheel wells?

Fourth, if I decided to go with the 12.5, what is the benefit of the wider tire over the 10.5?

Fifth and final question, is it worth it going with the 33's over the 31's? I know there's the benefit of having an extra inch of ground clearance (I could have used some on my last little outing) but is it worth the added cost of the tires, and subsequent loss of MPG's, not to mention the added strain on our drivetrain?

Thanks.

RttH

Larger tires and wider add more stress and weight, cost and less MPG's. Larger look better, provide better clearance, etc... The Land Rovers in the Camel Trophy contests all used smaller/skinnier tires and did just fine. Since you stated that you don't plan on rock crawling, etc... then you may want to go with smaller/narrower. A tall narrow tire allows one to air down and increase tire patch length-wise. I think I read somewhere that 4 tires (33 x 10.5x 15) aired down was equal to adding 2 more tires (total contact patch). A wider tire provides more resistance = more work for the truck. Something like that. I am sure I will be corrected. Check out Expeditionswest.com Scott Brady's paper on the subject. Its well written. Must get back to work! Hope that helps a little.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The main reason I prefer a bit wider tire to the narrow style is mainly for wheelin' in the snow. As stated above, when aired down it provides more contact, which means better floatation on the snow.

I also prefer the tires in the 31-32 range that are around 10.5.
I think Goodyear, Maxxis, and Cooper have a good selection in these sizes. Can you fit something in the 265/75 range?

No need for me to have the hard-core crawling shoes. Unless your plans are Rubicon and the like I have never thought there were big advantages.
I personally don't think it's worth going with the 33's that are 12.5 for the type of wheeling it sounds like you enjoy.

Good Luck

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I wont try and convince you unless i think you need them...

IMHO, the only advantages of bigger tires (width +height) are...
- improved ground clearance
- better rim protection for rims
- a larger contact patch for low traction situations (normal conditions it's not a good thing)
- possibly heavier payload capability albeit I'm not 100% sure on that
- and most critical.... chicks dig big tires:ylsmoke:

GrassCat

Adventurer
How many miles are you going to do off road during the life of the tire vs hi-way miles.

I don't care what anyone says larger tires is asking your truck to work harder than stock tires. I run 32's up from 31's that were up from stock 29.5's and I can tell the difference. So I'm swapping gears to help.

From what you say you want to do go with 31's or 32's. It will not be that much of a strain on your DOHC 3.5L and your gearing.

By the way I don't think the stock rims are 9.5 wide, more like 15 x 7.

Here's a write up I did on the other forum. http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1257500&an=0&page=1#Post1257500

DR1665

Gearheads United
Previous owner installed a set of gnarly 31/10.5/15 Geolandar M/Ts on my Raider. Pretty sure the truck is sporting stock gen II wheels (see pic below). I'd say you should be able to get away with the 31/10.5/15s on your rig no problem. They look great, but they are noisy and I'd really prefer something more economical for mostly long distance driving. I'm actually considering replacing them with a set of stock-sized BFG ATs. (I think I'd lose 1/2" or so of clearance in doing so. A little off-tarmac testing in coming months will help me decide.)

20120318_183643-495x371.jpg

This truck is my daily driver and I'm more interested in one day driving it to Anchorage or Santiago than I am challenging the Rubicon or Moab. The journey IS the destination.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
My Raider was really best with 31's. With a Gen II, I wouldn't think anything smaller than a 31.

My favorite pic:
RDDCalendarPics31.jpg

Russell

red87

Adventurer
I wouldn't worry about straining the drivetrain with 33s. The axles can handle 37s (supposedly) so 33s are no problem.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't worry about straining the drivetrain with 33s. The axles can handle 37s (supposedly) so 33s are no problem.
The gen 1 v6, yes. The I-4, has a smaller rear end and unless the engine is fresh or upgraded probably not enough HP for even 33's.:Wow1:

RichardT

Adventurer
Hey guys I appreciate the input, sorry I haven't responded until now, I've been crazy busy in school. Before I buy my tires I'll sift through this again, but I think im leaning toward 33x10.5's, I found a smokin deal on a set of 5 by my house for $1016, and 5 oil changes thrown in with the tires. It's a set of Goodyear wrangler m/t with Kevlar, I had wanted the KM2's, but the cheapest I could find was still $200 more, so it's a hard deal to pass up. I won't be seriously looking in to getting the tires for another couple of weeks, so things could change.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone

shov3lbum

Adventurer
Chiming in here since I just got my 33x105x15s BFG KM2s for my 98 montero sport 3.0l, 5spd. I love them! The rear end on my truck (4.66 I believe, read from the engine compartment plate) handles well with the tires and the only thing I noticed going from 31x105x15 was that my speedometer was off (reading lower than I was going) by about 3-4 mph at 62 mph to 70 mph. Mpg's--same, acceleration--not noticable, awesomeness factor--definitely increased! Hope you chose those goodyears, good deal! I got my 5 KM2s for about $1100 here, expensive, but well worth it.

I've also read that in the end everyone is better off with skinny, tall tires, they do well in snow, do well on the road, and can be aired down to work very nicely on rock, not to mention they almost always win out in the mud too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle