Found a Sweet Grand!!

Azlugz

Adventurer
Since the MIL (Mother in Law) moved in, we have been having trouble wheeling since there is not really enough room for three large people to easily get in the LJ. We also have been leaning more towards expedition style wheelig lately. We were looking at 4-Runners, Tacos, Chereos and a few others. Danny (Friend in Colorado) suggested we find a 98 Grand Chero. The 5.9 Limited is a special (1 year only) model with the 360 and a 44al as well as being loaded.

Well Danny found us one in Colorado that is in great condition and then went and picked it up for us (about an 8 hour RT for him!!!!) and he got a great price on it for us. Now I need to go up to Durango and get it from him before he decides he likes it too much!!!!

GC1 (Medium).JPG

GC2 (Medium).JPG

GC3 (Medium).JPG

GC4 (Medium).JPG

GC5 (Medium).JPG

I also have to get the LJ cleaned up and up for sale but have someone interested already!!

FishPOET

Adventurer
Grats on the ZJ. The best advice I ever got for my ZJ came from Kevin and he is in your neck of the woods.

Azlugz

Adventurer
NICE!

Any plans for it?

Expedition Rig but ave to wait till i sell the TJ and put some funds together. One of the first things will have to be a front bumper to mount a winch and an onboard air system. Will use it when we off road camp with the Jumping Jack too. I will do a fair bit of electrical also, like in cab winch controls, dual batts, inverter, rock lights and the like. Also considering an onboard shower setup.

Always open to ideas and used parts tho!!!

Amauri

Explorer
Nice!

I've built a couple of these things, you are going to love it. I am currently building my first expedition style rig. It's also white but its a 4.0 :smiley_drive: I'll start a build thread soon.

A little inspiration:
IMG00008-20090224-1343.jpg

Last edited:

Azlugz

Adventurer
Finally working on the grand. I sold my LJ so I had a few coins to put into the build.

Started out with tires and decided on MTR Kevlars. Had to remove the rocker trim that is unique to the 5.9's but got them to fit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next, I scored a little used puma compressor that will get built in.
The Puma only has a 1.5 gallon tank, but I set it up and ran my cheap (trailworthy) 1/2" impact and my 3/8" IR impact off it as a test. It holds up long enough to take off a tire with the cheapie 1/2" and it refills quick.

I think if I can put a couple 5 gallon skinny tanks on the roof, I could run the air tools with no problem. It runs the 3/8" ratchet too but that bleeds it faster. Over all, I was happy with the test!!!!
Looking at this for 5 gallon tanks: http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/airtank-5-gal-.htm

also considering this 20 gallon tank: http://www.truckspring.com/firestone-20-gallon-air-tank-9277.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then it headed to see Doc, the fabricator.

Azlugz

Adventurer
At Doc's

After getting the bumper covers off, the front end showed previous damage from having been in a collision and was pushed back a couple inches. Doc had to do some massage work to get it back where it belonged to do the front bumper, that will done this weekend. Currently he is doing the roof rack and working on the swing out for the rear bumper that he is also building!!

100_2261.jpg

100_2262.jpg

Roof rack sitting in place
100_2258.jpg

100_2259.jpg

Rear bumper sitting in place but not bolted so still has gaps

100_2274.jpg

100_2273.jpg

100_2272.jpg

When it comes back, the thought is to spray can it all in a white that will closely match the jeep, this way it will look good but be easy to touch up.

Then I have to do the wheels. Have considered trying to trade them for some Rubicon wheels as I these chrome ones seem to be unique, but since the is a fair bit of pitting in the inner parts from the colorado winters, I will prolly sand them down and use a bright steel colored wheel paint. Not a dark gunmetal or black and not a bright silver, but somewhere in the middle. Need to do more research tho to see what is the best wheel paint so I don't have to do it several times!!!

More as it transpires!

Azlugz

Adventurer
Picked up a radio for the rig too. This is a 2 meter setup that puts out 75 watts for long distance talking and for search, rescue & recovery. I will be doing the mod to add some channels to it also for when I am running chase for our teams in King of the Hammers and wheeling with the guys in the group.

The antenna will be a black hardmount shortie (22") on the roof.

2900.jpg

For running with the local groups and for ingroup comm in the search and rescue, I will be using a 4 watt cobra 19 that is peaked to 16 watts and putting out thru a Wilson 1000 hardmount on the roof. Should be able to get decent distance out of it but still be clear.

19DX_IV_HO_MIC.jpg

This unit also has the PA ability for use during Vehicle recovery operations......Much easier than yelling down the hill!!

Amauri

Explorer
Looking good!

I have the Cobra 19 with a PA it's sweet. How does the 5.9 stack up to the 4.0? :sombrero:

C-Fish

Adventurer
Very nice...

Are you going to the EXPO this weekend at Ben Avery?

I'll be there...Look for my WJ.
WJ_Butcher.jpg

Azlugz

Adventurer
Spent a long time at Doc's shop today....bugging him and watching him build, what a metal artist!!

This thing is looking so cool!!

The rear bumper was mostly complete on the last update, but here are a couple more pics including the pin for the tire swing.....

DSC00065-800.JPG

DSC00067-800.JPG

And the hitch...
DSC00069-800.JPG

And a corner shot to show the detail to make it look rounded!!!
DSC00091-800.JPG

Now, a little bit of the roof rack. Doc has built some mounts that are going to look awesome, but no pics yet, have to wait till they are complete, but here are a couple little details......
On the rear there are two tabs for reverse lights. there is no tab for the antenna as I have opted to hardmount both antennas to the roof.
DSC00093-800.JPG

On the front, there are four tabs, the center lights will point forward, the side two will point out to the side a little for cornering while night wheeling.
DSC00095-800.JPG

On to the front bumper!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger