Frame material?

Coopsdaddy

Observer
Frame is 3/16,i know 1/8 would work but the guy building prefers 3/16 sense his shop and guys are set up to weld that for other trailers.
Is it to much weight for a 4runner or not enough to make a big difference ?

Attachments

• EA6A775E-3E44-4265-8605-F8A8A35F49F7.png
    EA6A775E-3E44-4265-8605-F8A8A35F49F7.png
    341.9 KB · Views: 72

CampStewart

Observer
If that is all boxed tubing unless you drilled a hole in it or weighed it you wouldn't know the material thickness after it is completed. It takes a few seconds to change welder settings. For whatever reason fab guy is telling a fib. I wouldn't build a trailer that small out of 3x2x3/16 unless I was going to use it to haul 3000lbs of sand or gravel.

Teardropper

but the guy building prefers 3/16 sense his shop and guys are set up to weld that for other trailers.

I'm scratching my head on that one. The setup change from 3/16" to 1/8" involves walking over to the welder and clicking the knob down one setting. There is no change in cutting.

It's going to weigh substantially more and the same with the cost. Steel is expensive enough without buying more than you need.

UvlhX9B.jpg

T

Coopsdaddy

Observer
I know it takes just a second,a trailer manufacturing company is building the main box only and is just running it down the assembly line,im sure he would change if i asked.Thats why im asking.Its going to be a trailer similer to box rockets that has a 3500 lb axle.Used for hauling construction stuff from lowes as much as camping gear but nothing too heavy.

john61ct

Adventurer
In the overall big picture won't be much more weight, at all.

Not hard to calculate exactly, specs available online

Coopsdaddy

Observer
No,the weight difference is approximately 52 lbs.
That means the trailer with 3/16 is 52 lbs heavier than one built with 1/8.
Make sense?

NatersXJ6

Explorer
1/8 = 2/16, thus 3/16 should be 50% heavier. Steel doesn’t change density as it scales. So, if your frame is 52 lbs more, than at 1/8 it must have only been 104 lbs. I only ask because that sounds light, although it isn’t very big, and in reality you are probably talking about 0.120 and 0.188 wall tube. In the end, it is highly unlikely to matter, either in weld quality or ability to tow. The extra time to rust through and better threading of blind holes is probably a bigger advantage to going thicker, but 0.188 seems really thick to me.

old_CWO

The weight difference is basically nothing, about like carrying an extra Jerry can. The trailer will be a little sturdier and the welder runs that size all day so probably makes very consistent welds with that stock. The frame will now be thick enough to drill and tap for machine screw threads if you want.

I just don't see the controversy here.

Would I start with the 3/16 if building a trailer this size at home? Probably not but it isn't comically overkill either. I bet many of you have more excess weight tied up in monster tires and wheels you don't "need" than this upsize on chassis materials. Give it a rest...

Alloy

The weight difference is basically nothing, about like carrying an extra Jerry can. The trailer will be a little sturdier and the welder runs that size all day so probably makes very consistent welds with that stock. The frame will now be thick enough to drill and tap for machine screw threads if you want.

I just don't see the controversy here.

Would I start with the 3/16 if building a trailer this size at home? Probably not but it isn't comically overkill either. I bet many of you have more excess weight tied up in monster tires and wheels you don't "need" than this upsize on chassis materials. Give it a rest...

Yup, trailer welders not surgeons.

Good point about drilling an tapping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12