FSJ Snorkel wanted...

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Im looking for a snorkel for a full sized jeep? Any ideas what works well on them. Im new the the expedition thing but think Im hooked. The rig is a 74 Cherokee with a LS1 install planed for the very near future.

swaybar018.jpg

xr8dxj

Adventurer
I would explore building a custom one. Awesome FSJ! My first vehicle was a '79 Cherokee Chief that I wish I still had. I never thought of puting TJ fender flares on a full size. Great idea!

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Thanks, I have a few sets laying around. I figure I can scuff them right off and its no big deal. LOL Ive never had on of these FSJ rigs before.. but the more I drive it the more I am liking it. I think its going to be perfect for what I want to do.

xr8dxj

Adventurer
What bumper is that? All I've seen are the old school channel iron bumpers. This vehicle considering its size, engine displacement and payload should serve you well. I did the flat black paint job as well.:victory:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
very nice rig.

No snorkel made for the fsj, but others can be adapted...

for example the ARB Safari snorkel from a Toyota FJ60/FJ62 can be used on any of the 80's boxy styled full-size blazers, suburbans, and pickups (K5's, etc)

Here's what I'd do...

-Google search it
- Ask at International full-Size jeep association (www.Ifsja.org)
-Review the makes and models that are covered by Safari snorkel
and go out and measure examples (Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Etc) and see
which cars have the same windshield angle and fender shape.

I.E. Suparu on this board adapted a safari snorkel from a different rig onto his Subaru wagon.

If you can get it close, you can make custom brackets like suparu did, OR you can bend it with a heat gun, until it works.

Under the hood is the simple matter of plumbing a flexible/rigid hose system to your intake. I'd say you could probably plumb your front and rear D44's to it, too. (as well as trans and tcase, though at your height it's probably not an issue)

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
very nice rig.

No snorkel made for the fsj, but others can be adapted...

for example the ARB Safari snorkel from a Toyota FJ60/FJ62 can be used on any of the 80's boxy styled full-size blazers, suburbans, and pickups (K5's, etc)

Here's what I'd do...

-Google search it
- Ask at International full-Size jeep association (www.Ifsja.org)
-Review the makes and models that are covered by Safari snorkel
and go out and measure examples (Jeep, Toyota, Nissan, Etc) and see
which cars have the same windshield angle and fender shape.

I.E. Suparu on this board adapted a safari snorkel from a different rig onto his Subaru wagon.

If you can get it close, you can make custom brackets like suparu did, OR you can bend it with a heat gun, until it works.

Under the hood is the simple matter of plumbing a flexible/rigid hose system to your intake. I'd say you could probably plumb your front and rear D44's to it, too. (as well as trans and tcase, though at your height it's probably not an issue)

Thanks Brian... I will do exactly that!

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Groovy, no problem! :26_7_2:

Again, VERY nice rig...

Do you know the drivetrain? is it an auto?

Should have the th400 and D20 right?

LOVE these rigs. If you want a movie that is Jeep FSJ-drool worthy, watch Sahara if you haven't seen it. A few of the doctors drive around in a Wide-track like yours, I think. :)

Superu

Explorer
Give Safari a call.

When I was researching the snorkel option for my Subie, I ended up calling Safari Snorkel directly and worked with them to find the best match. I followed up with an email with measurements and pics and we determined the SS for a Toyota Prado 120 would be the best fit.

We did end up removing the stock airbox and doing some mild customization to connect the snorkel but it's worked out well.

:ylsmoke:

IMGP2270.JPG

Bristol%2030.jpg

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Calling Safari is probably a good idea. There are FSJs in Oz and they may even know which one is the best one to customise already. JAT

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'd call Oz. I figure any outlet here will be a "sorry sir, we don't have a part number for your application" experience.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
If you go the fabrication route, take a look at how the snorkels are set up on the mil spec Galendewagens. It took a while to get used to the looks of it but now that I'm used to it I think it might be a good way to fab a home made snorkel. Ease of construction and all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger