Full size trucks on jeep trails advice

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
As a self proclaimed jeep guy, I have always been amazed when reaching the top of a jeep trail only to find a full size truck in stock form. Since buying my Power Wagon in May this year, I have not regretted purchasing a full size. It has been a fun challenge in stepping up from the jeep. But that's just it, it has definitely come with challenges. I have had to stay on my toes on heavily tree'd trails, with lots of mirror folding. Light pine needle scratches are the norm, but have all but buffed out at the end of the season on my white truck. This was to be suspected when I purchased the truck though. Going through a list of trails in South central Montana/Northern Wyoming, there are very few that I would not be willing to tackle in this area with the Wagon. The trail that comes to mind that would likely be a no go for me in this truck would be the Morrision Jeep trail. The turns on the switchback section are such that a jeep has to threepoint turn every one of them. (though I did witness a full size bronco do this section)

I would suggest that any one new to the offroad driving world stick with a jeep size vehicle to get their bearings on jeep trails, it will make for a much more pleasant experience when it comes time to make the switch to a full size.

10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Really depends on one's definition of a "Jeep" trail....

I'm kinda curious myself.

-A trail that was once 24" wider than a TJ. But is now only 24" wider than a dirtbike. Very limited open spots to turn around or pass traffic. If we're lucky, the buggy guys will run them enough to open them back up.
-A single lane fire road or smaller.
-Smaller than any parks dirt road.
-3 to 4 feet wider than a 4wheeler trail

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
I had a tj and now a standard cab ram 2500 locked and geared on 37's. The tj was of course more maneuverable, but the ram is closer in size to a jku than a jku is to a tj. If you have good nerf bars that you can pick off of trees and your not concerned about paint you can go most everywhere most guys will take a jku. But like I said a jku is closer in size to a full size than to a "Jeep" tj yj cj

Dalko43

Explorer
it sounds like my dream of a 3/4 ton wheeling rig is outta the question, it would have been nice to have the bed for all the gear

Not really. Go check out youtube or even the threads on this forum; there are plenty of people building up and using Full size trucks for overlanding and general 4x4 use. That said, full size trucks will require more careful maneuvering compared to a smaller vehicle like a Jeep or small Toyota 4x4. I think you need to figure out kind of driving you want to do. If you're talking short jaunts over technical trails and 4x4 parks, a Jeep makes more sense. If you're talking long trips over remote stretches of road, a full size pickup has its merit.

Even Jeeps don't fit down Jeep roads anymore. Pretty much all the Jeep trails have devolved down to dirtbike trails.

^This. Here in the northeast, the old side trails we refer to as "jeep" trails were built to accommodate the old-school WWII era jeeps. Nowadays, they're suitable for dirtbikes, snowmobiles and ATV's, and that's about it. If a modern JK can fit down the trail, chances are good that a bigger truck or SUV can fit as well, as long as the driver is careful. In my experiences here, building a vehicle specifically for so-called "jeep" trails doesn't make sense. Most of those trails are side trails that dead-end, or allow for short loops off of the main roads/trails. A lot of those "trails" are also explicitly off-limits to regular highway vehicles. The main logging roads will take you everywhere you need to go, realistically speaking, and those roads can accommodate logging trucks. If you really want to go that extra mile here in the northeast, you're better off getting an ATV or snowmobile.

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
There are a lot of great trails a truck can do, the key is to get current info from folks who have recently been there.
And if it can't get through the trail, it can certainly get you to the point where you can park and do some hiking/mtn bike riding. :victory:
I hope you get out there in your truck and have a blast. :beer:

The subforum Regional ExPo Chapters can be a huge help here.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/forums/79-Regional-ExPo-Chapters

Some trails that look relatively painless, can have water bars that won't let your long bed over without a lift and tires. So make sure to ask those kind of questions. Some guy saying "yeah the trail is huge and easy" may be driving a Jacked up Samari on 40"s... lol
So know whom the info is coming from.

Another great resource for trails is a website called 4x4 Trails.
http://4x4trailmaps.com/

There are also some really good books that cover most the trails in the West
https://funtreks.com/
These can be cool, because you can get GPS data cards to go along with the books and maps.

The only thing I would ask as a personal favor is, please be respectful of the trail, and don't tear it up. :)

Trikebubble

Adventurer
Exactly one of the questions I asked myself when I sold our trusty Xterra and bought a Tundra to start a new build. It's all about compromise for us. I knew that asking the Tundra to scale some of tight switchback type trails that the Xterra climbed up would likely be a no-go. But, I was ok with that given, the added extras the Tundra will allow us to do, mainly hauling a Four Wheel Camper around. I've already taken her up some pretty tight and narrow stuff (with out the Four Wheel Camper, which is being built right now). For me, it was worth the trade-off to have a full size rig, with full size V8 power, and more interior room and comfort for the longer adventures we are planning on focusing on (ie: heading to Inuvik and beyond next summer)

Growing up I had a pretty capable F150 and I used to take that thing wheeling everywhere. It was honorably covered in BC Pinstriping, but that was/is to be expected with any off-road rig, regardless of size.

I'm sure we will encounter obstacles and trails somewhere that prevent us from proceeding. We're cool with that, it will also give us the opportunity to get out and hike a little more.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Not really. Go check out youtube or even the threads on this forum; there are plenty of people building up and using Full size trucks for overlanding and general 4x4 use. That said, full size trucks will require more careful maneuvering compared to a smaller vehicle like a Jeep or small Toyota 4x4. I think you need to figure out kind of driving you want to do. If you're talking short jaunts over technical trails and 4x4 parks, a Jeep makes more sense. If you're talking long trips over remote stretches of road, a full size pickup has its merit.

^This. Here in the northeast, the old side trails we refer to as "jeep" trails were built to accommodate the old-school WWII era jeeps. Nowadays, they're suitable for dirtbikes, snowmobiles and ATV's, and that's about it. If a modern JK can fit down the trail, chances are good that a bigger truck or SUV can fit as well, as long as the driver is careful. In my experiences here, building a vehicle specifically for so-called "jeep" trails doesn't make sense. Most of those trails are side trails that dead-end, or allow for short loops off of the main roads/trails. A lot of those "trails" are also explicitly off-limits to regular highway vehicles. The main logging roads will take you everywhere you need to go, realistically speaking, and those roads can accommodate logging trucks. If you really want to go that extra mile here in the northeast, you're better off getting an ATV or snowmobile.

And that's exactly why I'm a fullsize guy. The truck get's me close. My dirtbike gets me on the trail.

Why build a small truck/SUV if it doesn't fit, or isn't allowed on the trails anyway? My YJ days are over, because there's less and less places to take them.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
And that's exactly why I'm a fullsize guy. The truck get's me close. My dirtbike gets me on the trail.

Why build a small truck/SUV if it doesn't fit, or isn't allowed on the trails anyway? My YJ days are over, because there's less and less places to take them.

Again, it all depends on where one lives, some of us have access to miles and miles of trails tailored more toward Jeep-sized rigs and am very happy that full-size trucks "fit" on very few of them.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Do it, you will have an advantage in navigating the terrain at the disadvantage of speed. Shorter wheelbase trucks are much more nimble on the trail however a longer wheelbase of a 1/2 or 3/4 tonne truck will help you bypass the ruts shorter wheelbase vehicles get stuck in. I usually explore trails in a K1500 Suburban while my buddy has a 2001 Tacoma extended cab w/4" lift, supercharger, 33s, front and rear lockers. He can out crawl me any day but I will still manage the same trails and obstacles as him. My full size has a 20-30mph advantage when we are on trails that have 4-10" rocks where I can cruise at 50+mph in comfort and he has to run them at 15-20mph.

As far as narrow trails a narrower truck has an advantage. I did a skinny side canyon a few weeks back in Death Valley, both my tires rubbed on both walls of the canyon in some spots, the Tacoma was a go-kart with room to spare, however a $70k built Rubicon that we saw on the trail was 6" too wide and could not physically fit through the same trail.

Bottom line is run what you bring and the attitude goes a long way too. Don't be scared, slow down and enjoy what you have.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I've done nothing but wheel a fullsize Blazer with Larry since I started wheeling at all. All on Colorado Jeep trails until I went on my first desert trip with him and 4 other full sizes. Trees require caution for sure, but it's the shelf trails cut into the side of a mountain than brings the pucker factor. We've been on some that gives Jeeps enough room and we had to ride with our left side tires on the slope to keep our right side tires on the edge of the trail. Going slow and a good spotter in the passenger seat to tell you where the right front tire is helps greatly. Hairpin switchbacks might require multipoint turns, but it's just a matter of taking your time. If the trees make it too narrow it's a good time to re-evaluate the trail choice if body damage isn't wanted. Besides, some of the fun is freaking out jeepers when you get to the top of a pass they just climbed that they felt they could be the only ones to do it.

Cyph86

I love to surprise jeep guys by meeting them at the top of a trail in my 2500hd. Width can be an issue but like has been previously stated a good line and spotter can solve that a lot of the time. Here in So-cal i dont run into tight trails that often but i have had to turn around. Some scuff marks im ok with but i like to keep my panels on the straighter side. The length of the truck is an advantage in all but rock crawling situations. Many forums will have detailed reports on trails and what types of rigs can or have made it up them. I recommend finding local full size forums in your neck of the woods to let them tell you where they frequent or have had problems with. Have fun out there
be63640098743a547f9e7c708bcf740b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

arveetek

Adventurer
Besides, some of the fun is freaking out jeepers when you get to the top of a pass they just climbed that they felt they could be the only ones to do it.

YUP!!

Where I usually trail ride in NW Arkansas, it's mostly dense forest trails that are really tight, and my 2-door Tahoe (full size Blazer) barely squeezes through at times with the mirrors folded in. On more than one occasion, I have received some strange looks from the ATV and SXS operators, and you can tell they are wondering what in the world a diesel Blazer is doing out here on these trails. One guy even stopped me and said, "You know it gets pretty tight up there, right?" I had faith that my trail guide (in a TJ) knew what he was talking about when he said I would fit, and I did without any problems.

Casey

Stroked 550

Adventurer
Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences, pics, videos and resources I appreciate it. Its great to hear about all you guys throwing down with a long bed, its been a my dream to build a fullsize diesel offroading rig so thats what Im gonna do. Like others have said it might be more challenging on some trails but thats part of the fun.

@ComancheScott

I will definitely do some hiking and will probably take my ktm with me too to take advantage of some single track

Inquiring on the subforum Regional ExPo Chapters for trail information is a great idea and I will definitely make sure to ask what kind of rig they used

Im always respectful of the trails, we have to take care of them so we can pass them on to the next generation

http://4x4trailmaps.com/ & https://funtreks.com/ look like great resources, I also caltopo with locus on my tablet

It would be nice if the forum had a like button for posts

Its really nice to be part of such a great community of people who are passionate about offroading and helping others.

its hard to respond to everyone such there was so many people responding with a wealth of information

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman