Fulltime in a TC.... ?!?

iott2551

Ronin
Fulltiming in a truck camper!
Well, I've come to a point in my life where i'm ready to abandon the usual fixed location living in favor or the Nomad lifestyle. Initially I had thought about fifthwheels and or travel trailers.‎*Taking several weeks to think about all the places I would want to go, I quickly realized that I wouldn't want to drag anything more than maybe a military utility trailer. So I started to look at truck campers. Sure, an X10 custom camper would be great, if I had tons of disposable income, but I don't. So back to 'off the shelf' truck campers.
Anyone who has looked around would agree that the current available TCs come in every size and shape, from basic function only to oversized, superior appointed flgships. Eagle Cab 1200 or Host Mammoth, Lance 1172 or AF1150... choices galore.
However.... I am somewhat frustrated. *The floorplans are pretty much all the same and do not really invite fulltime living. Assuming you're a single guy, what is it that you would look for? Certainly not a dinnette that seats four and faces the kitchen. As it is, it seems like the only think manufacturers can think of when they create a slide, is a dinette. Okay, if you camp with the wife and a kid or two, fine. But for a single person, what do I need seating for four or five for? Thinking about my one room apartment, I don't recall a time I sat at a kitchen table. I sit on a sofa or a lazy boy chair. Why? Well, it's comfortable. So I would much rather have a Brookstone massage lazy boy than a dinnette, which is basically just wood covered with a 2" foam cushion and completely uncomfortable. I don't know I could sit through a two hour movie on those things. Again, we're talking fulltime! One area where almost all manufacturers are doing a good job is the cabover bedroom area. Yeah, some matresses are better than others and some 'queen' beds are a few inches short of being 'queen' beds, but the general layout seems conducive to full time sleeping.
The kitchen....well, maybe it is just me, but it seems that the truck camper kitchens are designed ‎so the brochure looks like it has everything. IMHO, the cooktop is obviously a good thing. But the oven? I've been in some high end truck campers and the oven would have trouble fitting a chicken, much less a 15 lbs turkey for say, Thanksgiving dinner, when someone might actually want to sit in the dinnette. The microwaves are large enough to heat up a cup of coffee as long as it's not a tall cup or pop a bag of popcorn, which then will fillip the entire inside. I would rather have a large convection microwave in place of the oven. Saves weight and is more useful. I'm guessing the power draw on the larger microwaves would kill the batteries, which is why they are not used. The sinks are usually well done so no issues there. Some models have instant hot water, a nice touch!
The living area... well, this is where the difference between camping and fulltiming becomes visible. If all the camper has is a dinnette, which faces the kitchen, spending three or four rainy days inside is going to be rough. Again, i'm single, I want more of a mancave. A comfortable sofa or lazy boy that faces a TV, maybe a fireplace, like one would do if one were living in a one room apartment. Nobody sits in the kitchen. We sit in the living room.
Bathrooms... there are some really good executions of bathrooms I have seen and some that a midget would have trouble using. For fulltiming, I would want a shower with a glass door (or Lexan or whatever), not the crappy curtain. Okanagan 116ULT has the best bathroom I have seen. Host is a close second. I don't want to get into an argument over the benefits of a wet bath, so i'll just say that it won't work for me. I kind of like the way CampLite has the bathroom and Shower seperated in the back, but i'm okay with the midbath too, which usually leaves a nice 270 degree view out the back.‎
So, having said all that, I've come to the conclusion that there is no Floorplan like I envision in the marketplace. Truck camper manufacturers are stuck building the same, slightly modified, plans for every model and I don't know why! Yes, a Host Mammoth or Everest has some comfy sofas but it still mimmicks the usual Floorplan. One exception maybe, the 2018 Host Cascade. Something a little different with the rear facing recliners, TV/ fireplace that makes it more 'mancave' and less typical.‎
I could totally do without the dinnette but I also don't need another sofa in its place. I'm one guy, I don't need two sofas and two recliners or two recliners a sofa and a dinnette for four. The only nice thing about the dinnette slides is that it opens up the room, which for fulltiming is not a bad thing.*
So where does that leave the single guy, fulltiming? Seriously, the Host Cascade (2018 version) is the only camper with a living are I could see myself actually living in, but at $60k and 4500 lbs, it's not really in the budget and very heavy. I've looked at some of the custom camper makers...well, they are custom and so is the pricetag. Again, not an option. Host has a 'build your own' option, but it's not really what it sounds like, it's just adding options to the standard models.*
So, if anyone has an idea of a camper that one would want to really live in as a primary residence, please share. If any TC manufacturers are on this board, throw me some suggestions. It shouldn't be this difficult. I don't think i'm asking for something far out. Really, i'm asking for less. Less stuff, less weight, less semi useless appliances and more open space and comfort for one (or two). * But as far as I know, nobody produces a model like that

Bobzdar

Observer
Well, just putting this out there, but just because the slide out comes as a dinette doesn't mean it has to stay one....Take it out and put a la-z-boy in there if that's what you want. My buddy's father in law did exactly that, took the dinette out of his slide out in his brand new TT and put a swiveling recliner in instead. You have to be a little willing to do that type of stuff if you don't have the $$ to have one built exactly the way you want.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Is there any actual reason you are focused on TRUCK campers?

The biggest benefit of a truck camper is the ability to maintain the utility aspect of a truck.
Secondary are things like ground clearance and serviceability.

But at the end of the day, the benefits are vehicle specific, not camper.

I see a fairly traditional Class C as being a pretty solid option for a full-timer, especially if it is just one person, provided you do not need the ground clearance normally associated with a pickup.

iott2551

Ronin
Well, just putting this out there, but just because the slide out comes as a dinette doesn't mean it has to stay one....Take it out and put a la-z-boy in there if that's what you want. My buddy's father in law did exactly that, took the dinette out of his slide out in his brand new TT and put a swiveling recliner in instead. You have to be a little willing to do that type of stuff if you don't have the $$ to have one built exactly the way you want.
Of course I can do that. But the Floorplan will still be the same, meaning the converted dinnette space will be facing the kitchen. Does the sofa in your living room face the kitchen? I have thought of reclaiming the dinette space for more practical things, a bar, computer desk / work station, laundry... but that still leaves me with no comfortable space to sit

iott2551

Ronin
Is there any actual reason you are focused on TRUCK campers?

The biggest benefit of a truck camper is the ability to maintain the utility aspect of a truck.
Secondary are things like ground clearance and serviceability.

But at the end of the day, the benefits are vehicle specific, not camper.

I see a fairly traditional Class C as being a pretty solid option for a full-timer, especially if it is just one person, provided you do not need the ground clearance normally associated with a pickup.

The truck camper allows travel off the beaten path to just about anywhere. Sure, a true overland build would of course have advantages, but withing a reasonable off road setting, a 4x4 truck camper can go just about anywhere I would want to go. I'm not opposed to a chassis mounted camper. For me it's not about retaining the usability of the truck as a truck, it's just the only reasonably affordable way to move my camper, if I find one' off the beaten path. 4x4 motorhomes are expensive. Earthroamer, Tiger and so on are great but way out of reach. 2wd class c's I see every day trying to drive through the desert here in the Mojave and bottoming out on the smallest bumps. Checkout one of those 'Cruise America' RVs...they have like 6" , ground clearance

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
And do not forget the fact parts are pretty easy to come by for a pickup versus say a specialty motorhome.

RV parts and labor, like everything else is seeing 10 to 30% increase in parts and labor. Every Christmas we must travel the I-40 during the Christmas holiday rolling through miles and miles of ice and snow. Four wheel high is needed much in the higher elevations.

Comfort chair. Most Camper dudes love to pull U.S. Cargo haulers behind. Not only can they haul their toy but also haul other campsite goodies-such as a Lazy Boy if you wanted it. Campers, Like expeditioning living in and out of your car are very simular actually. Planning, organizing, do as you do until you discover some'n ain't to your liking. Change it, or alter it.

Think too how and where you'll be using it. Sounds like your a California guy. For me, this translates to spending much of your time outside of the rig versus inside.

Upper bed. Costco, sells a bitchen 2 or 3 inch ya-ha-mah-ha comfort yadda yadda matress topper-Its far out dude!

Pillows on you... My memories are shot out on that lil purchase.

Adjust your baking/cooking style. As all the units now have quick disconnects to your favorite Barbies. The ovens do work, but you'll have to learn by doing I'm afraid. If you do Pizza, you'll need a pizza stone thingee, just remember to stow it or it'll turn crunch crunch on you as you blast down America's finest pot-holes and Morter pits in the slow lane.

Stereos all but useless. Even the outside speakers. The litature makes em sound wonderful, they're garbage. Talk radio is fine.

Expect to grab a small 1000i Honda to keep your batteries genned up. I won't go solar because I park under trees in summertime. When its hot so will you. Portable pannels would work, but then so will you. Your choice. I LOVE my Honda for charging duties. About ten cents an hour to run it. Pick em up all day long at local Police action.

Lets see... Do purchase the upgraded A/C Onan gen. The wall control is wonderful an kicks off the freezing air just in time so as NOT to cause you horrible dreams about being alone, locked up in a froozen cask at the morgue. Yes, the gen is Propane fueled so what I say. Big deal. Because it is propane powered it is pollution free as well as supper clean for the generator engine.

I use both when appropreate. Just plug and unplug.

Lance: Manufactured in Lancaster California. Any service warranty work can be done there.

I have owned Lance camper since 1996. Built tough.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Also-if serious about off the beaten path as you say, the lighter the unit the better. In my experience with my old 3400lb non-slide I tore the bed mounts right out between the bed and bed fame of the truck. Playing twist-ah-flex with a truck camper is not fun nor advised in some circumstance. I have also came within a hairline crack of pitching it over as well.

"Be advised-AIR BAGS will NOT help you off-road, they seriously hinder you. Because most people like me fail to lower the air pressue. BONK! Air bag blow-out!

Ask me how to destroy air bags-I'm your Huckaberry...

Buying new or used?

Here is a link to Truck Camper Magazine. I get some very expensive ideas but lack the monies if you know what I mean.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com

Regards fixing a full 15lbs turkey? Buy ah turkey LOAF. Or better yet, Marie Calenders makes a great Microwave turkey dinner no fuss no muss dude! Besides, were you gonna put all them leftovers anyways?

Last edited:

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
IMG_0198.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Here is the 2016 floor plan of my 1172 double slide out.

The dinnet makes into a day bed...

This is what I use in place of my dinnet orangement.

scott7022

Nobody
Iott2251 I feel your pain.

Just finished a couple of expeditions and when we weren't moving we were editing video footage. Sometimes we had a sexy class A support and that was heaven. But most of the time it was laptops and balanced graded monitors and down and up ergonomics better suited to morning aerobics in hell. My right cheek had permeant pins and needles for three months. So I too thought about how to address this issue when I returned to North America. I wanted a capable off road machine to get back into the beautiful and remote places people want to see and a four season rig. I too can't afford Earthroamer and where I want to go the weight would be an issue, even if I could. The easiest route is a production model but paying for stuff only to take a saw to it when it gets home just rubs me wrong. So loads of thinking FWC shell, XP, Bahn, "Custom" build but in the range of doable. I am leaning toward an Alaskan for the four season and they do have the nicest stock seats, but it is still a dinette. They worked with me and did custom stuff and sent a quote so I have a start number. Still have to saw out and install my own edit suite on the side of the dinette I don't use. So my search isn't over as there has to be an option in the 35 to 50k range. The issue seems to be custom builders are too busy to engage in too much email communication and I hardly blame them they probably get a ton of requests asking stupid questions. Bahn campers got back to me and I love the can do attitude, dumping a BlackMagic Design video editing suite into a camper isn't going to be easy to do correctly. The price and height are my hmmm points. But still on the fence. So like you I am trying to do the man cave design for one, just from a different angle.
The easiest route is a big SUV already designed as a video editing suite and an expedition trailer. But like specific tires it does one thing very well and everything else fair to poor.
So I feel your pain.
It will be interesting to read what people think is possible and ideas. Being able to work outside is beautiful and I do it as much as I can. But for those cold weeks, of rain as you wait to get the ONE PERFECT SHOT. Something designed just for the application is awesome.
Garbinator I love the wedge system you posted. I bought something like it here but from an adult store, designed for a very different purpose. Arriving with my black bag of "pillows" into a group of very manly Russian types got more than a few long looks. Your system looks far better, tiger prints are sooooo 80's

I had a similar search with different priorities. I wanted something that was smaller and lighter than your average slide in and was willing to give up some of the comforts so that it would fit down jungle roads, not vibrate apart on the washboard, and wanted to fit my surfboards inside without moving them to go to sleep. I ended up building a ridiculous little camper that no one would want but me. But it gets the job done. There's just nothing that will fit your needs as well as a custom build. Even if your craftsman ship is questionable (mine is) it will do a better job then something designed and built without your needs in mind.

Have you considered looking for an older camper, hopefully with some broken appliances and damage to the inside so you can get it for cheap? Then just gut the thing and rebuild the interior with your own design.

I get not wanting to do this with a new camper and the cost of redoing the interior adds up quick, but if you star with a cheap purchase off Craigslist or the like then your free to do whatever you want.

ripperj

Explorer
Lots of engineers from lots of camper manufacturers have pondered floor plans. The issue is limited space, there is only so much you can do. Some companies still offer a side dinette(sofa) Alaskan is one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

iott2551

Ronin
I totally agree that planning is everything. I'm a minimalist so I do not have a problem fitting all my accumulated junk into any commercially available truck camper. As it stands, I can fit all my belongings into a Nissan Xterra...lol
The Lance 1172 I a sweet camper, albeit very heavy. All of the slideout campers get porky very quicky but they do offer a nice interior space. On the road, that's not such a big problem but off road.... I can see how you blew your airbags :).
I'm not in Cali but Southern Utah, about 20 miles from the Arizona border. Met a guy last week with a setup I have not seen before. He had a f350 SRW long bed with a bigfoot 2500 camper, 10 something. He got some kind of pre-runner style long travel suspension front and rear that he swore by for taking his rig off road. I wanna say it was rizer or something like that but don't quote me on it. Had to have plastic fenders to allow for the extended wheel articulation. Looked interesting but it's the only one I've ever seen. Granted, the bigfoot is non slide but it's still a heavy unit. With any heavy load, there needs to be a balance of how hight you want to backup your suspension to have the necessary ground clearance and how low you need to have it to be able to safely haul it.
I love the idea of the Honda gen... really hadn't thought about that. Good call!
Lance....i haven't met anyone who didn't like their Lance, regardless of model. I've been in several and fit and fish seems great, walls don't flex... and I've seen some used ones that looked brand new. I could certainly find a used unit at an affordable price. And...after a trip to IKEA, modify the interior. My point in the OP was that all manufacturer floorplans are more o less th same. Sure I can pull the dinnette, but if I stick with sofa or lazy boy in it's place, it still faces t kitchen. That is a floor plan issue. Take care look at the 2018 Cascade. The living are and the recliners face toward the rear a not sideways into the kitchen. Yeah, there still I a dinnette, but like has been suggested, I can replace that with something more me.

At this point, it's all planning for me. Soliciting suggestions, trying to see what might work both practically and financially. If I get a great deal on a used camper, spending more money on remodeling it could be okay. Of course if I plunk down $40k on a new one, I wouldn't want to take it home and rip it apart. Truck, same idea. 350/3500 4x4, SB, LB...all depends on the camper. Off road I would prefer the SRW but if the camper is too big, that may not work. I think they suggest a dually for the 1172. Suspension...hmm...bags possibly.

Bobzdar

Observer
Of course I can do that. But the Floorplan will still be the same, meaning the converted dinnette space will be facing the kitchen. Does the sofa in your living room face the kitchen? I have thought of reclaiming the dinette space for more practical things, a bar, computer desk / work station, laundry... but that still leaves me with no comfortable space to sit

My sofa in my living room doesn't face my kitchen, but my recliner does. I don't see why it matters where it faces if you're looking for a comfortable place to sit. I mean, pretty much anything facing inward in the camper will face the kitchen, it's a truck camper! The only way to avoid that is remove the kitchen. That or make the chair swivel so you can look out the window if you want. Plus, a lot of setups I've seen have the tv mounted in the kitchen, so you can watch it from the dinette, so it would seem logical you'd want your chair or sofa to face the tv, no? Not really sure what you're after. Maybe draw it so we can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior