Fulltime in a TC.... ?!?

iott2551

Ronin
Scott7022 - I would be interested to see what you end up with. Certainly the idea of having a video editing/production suite inside a TC is unique and very niche. Keep in touch and send some prototype drawings if you get any. Agreed that if money were no object, we could all build exactly what we wanted. The trick is to adapt what is affordable to what we need.

Ripperj - , is somewhat disappointing if lots of engineers from lots of different manufacturers can't come up with anything but the same plan, more or less. I agree that space is limited. Space is always limited, even in a 3000sqft house. It's the savy of the interior designer or the architect that determine how the space gets used. So given a small space like a TC, why do all of them HAVE to have a dinnette? Can't they come up with an alternative solution to sitting and eating? Who says every TC HAS to come with a dinnette? To me it just says everyone is copying everyone else and nobody is innovating the interior design. Look at some 20 year old TCs... what's changed other than the colors, materials, electric upgrades and the use of one to three slides? Nothing!

iott2551

Ronin
My sofa in my living room doesn't face my kitchen, but my recliner does. I don't see why it matters where it faces if you're looking for a comfortable place to sit. I mean, pretty much anything facing inward in the camper will face the kitchen, it's a truck camper! The only way to avoid that is remove the kitchen. That or make the chair swivel so you can look out the window if you want. Plus, a lot of setups I've seen have the tv mounted in the kitchen, so you can watch it from the dinette, so it would seem logical you'd want your chair or sofa to face the tv, no? Not really sure what you're after. Maybe draw it so we can see.

Something like this. Sure, it's a TC, so you can pretty much see anything form anywhere, but in this example, the recliners are facing something that resembles a livingroom, cozy. Not a kitchen. This plan still has the obligatory dinnette which is useless if the recliners were the main sitting area and used for relaxing as well as eating. Just need some kind of TV tray or table and the whole dinnette would be superfluous weight.

Attachments

• 1_011.jpg
    1_011.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 27

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Iott I am staying away from air bags, as I am in the works to adding a 5000lb overload spring to the rear leafs. The issue/s I see with camper manufactures are simular to most other products to our consumer market.

Build, create what the majority buyers think they want, to include wives (appeal/approval), comfort style attractivness gally arrangements, its about luxury honestly. Manufactures spend millions just on design features based on what todays RV'ers desire.

I do not expedition in my rig. I glamor camp. I try my best to park at a desirable electric tree (electrical hookup) because its cheaper than running a gen set say during the hot summer months. For me, my rig is like a mother ship, and my JK a land speeder, my recon car. It takes me into places I wish to explore till I'm ready to come back.

My last point... if you really want customization and have the $$$ to do it, look at the Alumma and Featherlite sites.

Another rule to RV'ing. There is no one size fits all. Most folks start with LIL Joe 15 footer, then rid themselves of that go onto another thing they think will blow their skirts up.

You might take a look at the used market for Sportmobiles. 4X4 Ford Vans are available that may fill the mission you seek.

Scott! I dig what your saying about pillows in the assistence to greater satisfaction, as over the years of back injuries aaah-not ignoring the 'creativity' has lent some pretty fun experiences, yes evn on the camper dinnet (daybed)! Too much headbanging in the old Lances. The new offer way way more headroom. FYI �� Cowboy up!

scott7022

Nobody
Garbinator I prefer reverse cowgirl up, lol But unfortunately, the last expedition included only large Russian men. The only girl was on a support crew that intersected with us at various points to retrieve hard drives full of footage. I think my teammates were a little concerned the liberal thinking Canadian might be a little too liberal! LOL! But all was fine and my back got a break. WHILE I WAS EDITING!!!! :coffee:

Iott2551 I like that set up in the posted pick but it must be on something huge. 37 5k monitor over the fireplace and pole mount twin 27's for editing... And it has a pole, add mirror ball, with the built in martini holders and... LOL! I will let you know what I end up doing. I have been going back and forth while finishing this project (2 years) but the light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible...So long as it isn't a train!
Read all you can here on the forums. Saves repeating members mistakes and allows you to make NEW ones. Great level of participation here with a low percentage of trolls and awesome info. I have learned far more than I have shared but I will remedy that when I get back to good ol North America.

Bobzdar

Observer
Something like this. Sure, it's a TC, so you can pretty much see anything form anywhere, but in this example, the recliners are facing something that resembles a livingroom, cozy. Not a kitchen. This plan still has the obligatory dinnette which is useless if the recliners were the main sitting area and used for relaxing as well as eating. Just need some kind of TV tray or table and the whole dinnette would be superfluous weight.

Yeah, I mean the only way you get that is with a triple slide where the kitchen slides out, otherwise the kitchen is in the center and everything faces it. I think a triple slide is great provided you're ok with an F-450 and can afford it. But, for that price you can probably do a double or single slide that's customized to what you want. I don't know that you get away from a dinette as most people want a place to eat, but what you may be able to do is custom order one with the dinette left out - ie still a slide there but not finished out with the dinette, just flooring. Then you can add what you want and probably save a few bucks. It'll still probably be at least a double slide to get away from facing the kitchen, and you'll have to be somewhat creative with seating. Good luck.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I have been spending hours in my double slide Lance here in my backyard. I am getting the feel for the exact comfortable A.C. Setting to get a feel for living comfort while in direct 100 degree sun. I've been playing frolick man on my comfort pillow system LOL

Whether on the cabover bunk, setup on the converted dinette table to bed or using the back portion on the recliner couch. Its really comfy dude. No NEED for a hudge Lazy boy. Besides, sitting here thinking about it, it wouldn't fit through a camper door anyway.

Another important play item I got to evaluate (Thx Naughty Scotty) The new A.C. Interior Venting on each end of the unit. Fully adjustable. Meaning, these new units allow for the amount of cold air that flows into the cabover. My old 990 Legend I had to always tape cardboard to the vent to knock-down the flow. The A.C. Pump ran continuosly to cutting off depending on Manual setting. BE ADVISED such units will result in either freezing your *** off, or leaving you baked in sweaty mess on your bed. Excessive compressor operation in very humid conditions will result in frozen LG tank connections to include AC compressor!

I do believe the old 1990's refrigerant was way way colder then this newage crap we are forced with today. I am thinking much past 104 my 2016 A.C. Might not be up to snuff. Rest assured I plan on heading to the great Mojave this summer to see if it can.

Calico Ghost town is one my favorites. That electric tree thing again.

Last edited:

iott2551

Ronin
Iott2551 I like that set up in the posted pick but it must be on something huge. 37 5k monitor over the fireplace and pole mount twin 27's for editing... And it has a pole, add mirror ball, with the built in martini holders and... LOL! I will let you know what I end up doing. I have been going back and forth while finishing this project (2 years) but the light at the end of the tunnel is finally visible...So long as it isn't a train!
Read all you can here on the forums. Saves repeating members mistakes and allows you to make NEW ones. Great level of participation here with a low percentage of trolls and awesome info. I have learned far more than I have shared but I will remedy that when I get back to good ol North America.
If you take this setup and remove the dinnette, you should have enough room in the vacant space for dual 24s, computer, desk, office chair...whatever your editing equipment needs.
Probably still have room for the pole and disco balls too :D

iott2551

Ronin
Yeah, I mean the only way you get that is with a triple slide where the kitchen slides out, otherwise the kitchen is in the center and everything faces it. I think a triple slide is great provided you're ok with an F-450 and can afford it. But, for that price you can probably do a double or single slide that's customized to what you want. I don't know that you get away from a dinette as most people want a place to eat, but what you may be able to do is custom order one with the dinette left out - ie still a slide there but not finished out with the dinette, just flooring. Then you can add what you want and probably save a few bucks. It'll still probably be at least a double slide to get away from facing the kitchen, and you'll have to be somewhat creative with seating. Good luck.

Yep, that triple slide gets heavy. I'm sure somewhere close to 4000 lbs dry. I think the F350 h more standard payload than the F450, a least in the consumer version. Cab/chassis are different. Removing the bed and cassia mounting might save the extra weight of the bed and add in stability.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Just remember the prime directive about living full time in a truck camper: The longer you are out on the road, especially during all four seasons, the larger and more capacious your camper should be. Of course, other perspectives are:
a. How many people have complained about too much truck?
b. How many people have complained about too much camper?
Find a suitable unit, new or used that you can customize to fit your dream.
Put together a package that has the least chance of getting old on you.
Every decision will be a compromise.
Your firmly held decisions will change with real time experience.
live your dream.
jefe click on the mp4 below:

southpier

Expedition Leader
I would think John Q Public would be eager to trade in his new camper every couple of years for a "better one" like it says in the sales brochure. this should leave the lots full of gently used units waiting for someone to buy at a relatively reasonable price and remove for resale everything deemed superfluous.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
The truck camper allows travel off the beaten path to just about anywhere.

I beg to differ. Unless you set up a truck/camper specifically for rough country you will be very limited in where you can drive. Weight and height are your enemies. The truck bed can twist - the camper is not designed to. Anything off-camber, and tree limbs, and the height becomes an issue. Any camper with slide-outs will restrict you to smooth graded roads! Check out the posts by Mundo4x4Casa on this site on how to set up a off-road truck/camper.

Been doing this for many years and since I too like to spend a lot of time in the back country I've currently two setups. Gave up the SWR truck and camper for a dually for the stability:

And this is what I use if I want to get back into the REAL outback:

iott2551

Ronin
Deserteagle56 - of course you're correct, 18000 lbs does not make a mountain goat. The original question was why I was focused on TC. And within it's limitations, the TC allows to go places where you won't be able to take a 40+ foot fifthwheel. I like your setups, both of them :)
For me, financially, out of reach. Best I can hope for is a good truck with TC and maybe a trail bike.

iott2551

Ronin
I would think John Q Public would be eager to trade in his new camper every couple of years for a "better one" like it says in the sales brochure. this should leave the lots full of gently used units waiting for someone to buy at a relatively reasonable price and remove for resale everything deemed superfluous.

I counting on it!

iott2551

Ronin
Just remember the prime directive about living full time in a truck camper: The longer you are out on the road, especially during all four seasons, the larger and more capacious your camper should be. Of course, other perspectives are:
a. How many people have complained about too much truck?
b. How many people have complained about too much camper?
Find a suitable unit, new or used that you can customize to fit your dream.
Put together a package that has the least chance of getting old on you.
Every decision will be a compromise.
Your firmly held decisions will change with real time experience.
live your dream.
jefe click on the mp4 below:

I agree... nobody will complain about too much truck or too much space. Not being able to just plunk down $60k f a new Ram, i'll have to see what the used truck market has to offer, which is always a compromise... TC, we'll, that's been the topic of discussion and it looks like i'm probably going to have to do some surgery on a used camper to get what I want. Unless that IdaCamper turns out to be a financially feasible option. Waiting to hear something from Kenny on that.

downhill

Adventurer
I have spent months and years living in truck campers and a small fiberglass camp trailer, solo with one or two dogs. They all had to be custom built. I gutted the trailer and redesigned the floor plan. Every camper / RV made is designed for comfort and convenience for weekend travelers. That is 99.9 of all their customer base. They all want to claim "sleeps four" for marketing reasons. In the process, they beat the unit with the stupid stick. Living full time in such a space is a completely different animal. I have found that the longer I spend on the road, the fewer my needs become. Luxuries become liabilities, and the basics rise to the top. I need lots of air flow in any weather, ways to keep bugs out, enough headroom to pull my pants on. good insulation and some form of heat, the ability to cook a meal inside when weather shuts me in, a simple loo (bucket with cat litter). I like a bed that stays made, not one that has to be converted to something else. Your bedding will get full of moisture overnight, and will need time to air out. Otherwise you will get mildew. Pop-ups and other "set-up" campers get really really old. Even though I like the space of the trailer, I'm selling it and planning another TC build. A trailer to me is too much of a burden unless I am staying places for long stretches of time. All of the pre-built options are too heavy, loaded with junk I'll just have to tear out, poorly built, and designed with little foresight. You might look at Cave Campers. I don't like the shorty cab-over or the slider windows, but their campers appear to be well built and very flexible inside. They also may be able to semi-custom build something for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior