Fun question: What other 4x4 would you replace your current Toyota with and why?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
My God in heaven. That Power Wagon is incredible!

My brother's fiance's dad has a brand new Power Wagon and it is an incredible truck. I would love to have one of those! And the H1 that was pictured earlier; I somehow forgot about them.

I can also think of a few others.
- A 80's Chevy Blazer or Pickup.
- 60's Bronco restored.
- any sub 2000 4dr Hilux diesel.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
The OP said to think outside of the toyota box, yet most everyone replied and said "another toyota." :p While I would also be hard-pressed to want anything other than another 3rd gen 4Runner, I think a manual transmission Montero would be about as close as I could come. That said, I know very little about the Montero.

If I could engineer a brand new SUV to my liking, it wouldn't be the solid axle beast many people would build. I would end up with a 4 door SUV about the size of the 3rd gen 4Runner, with IFS, rear electric locker, a deeper transfer case, a small-ish 30 MPG diesel engine and a 6-speed manual transmission.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
If I HAD to go outside of a Toyota (keep in mind I have two kids):

Ford Raptor
Sportsmobile
Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Defender 110

ADV-R

Observer
I love my 00 4Runner but I have always been more of a truck guy so if I had to replace it I would go that route. As I get older the more I dislike the newer vehicles (cheaply built and to many computers to go wrong) I would probably go with a 2001 Tacoma. Not really a big difference from what I have now but that's for a reason... I already have what I want.

bkg

Explorer
Depends on the purpose. DD, non-modified, customer hauler? Probably an F150... I've owned close to 40 Toyota's and am growing increasingly disappointed with their quality... and that F150 is niiiiiice.

Built? Easy...
95 Toy xcab. Built 1uZ, Auto, Single tcase. Either keep it IFS w/ a 4" lift, or do a low-slung SAS w/ Diamonds. Super sane paint and interior mods. ARB front, customer rear, cap, etc. Basically, and older version of my 04. lol.

And I'd duplicate it for the future Mrs BKG, but with a 95 4Runner limited with several interior mods to meet her approval.

Containerized

Adventurer
Probably a 70 Series or a Hilux with a non-D4D motor.

Interesting how many would go to a Defender... having gone from a Defender to Toyotas, I can't imagine going in the opposite direction.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Probably a 70 Series or a Hilux with a non-D4D motor.

Interesting how many would go to a Defender... having gone from a Defender to Toyotas, I can't imagine going in the opposite direction.

Curious, what don't you like about the D4D motors? What powerplant would you want in the 70?

This thread feels a bit more relavent to me today than it would have say yesterday as I just sent my Tacoma to a new home this afternoon and while I'm technically not vehicle shopping I can't help think of what would be next. If I had to choose non-Toyota (and that is a big if) I'd likely go with something like a Nissan Patrol or something funky like an UAZ or Mog.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
Perhaps just a 99-04 F350 Reg Cab 6spd Manual, 4X4 on the floor, Vinyl Floor and Seat, Roll up Windows and I can't decide on gas or diesel right now. But I like the simplicity of the leaf springs. I know the turning radius is less and the ride is worse but that's what I'd get. Something you can get dirty and get things done with.

-jorge

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
The turning radius is terrible. Our worktruck is an extended cab long bed F-250 and it will barely turn in a driveway if you swing out and you might as well forget about backing a trailer anywhere that requires you to turn. Despite that, it does have 320,000 miles we make long trips in it all the time. Dependable truck for sure!

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I can't imagine anything more practical/functional than the '08 JKUR I have-

Psss-I already have a Ford Ranger-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Arctic Taco

Adventurer
A few items come to mind-
1)A fuel injected command car (hard shell) Pinz Gauer 4x4
2) I don't know the year but when I was over in NZ i saw a NATO? surplus Suzuki Samari about the size of an original CJ5 with a diesel
3) 75 -77 Dodge ramcharger 318, 4spd
or if you really wanna dream a
4) 69 w200 Dodge power wagon with a 1st gen 5.9 diesel
5) 52 CJ2A with a F head and a 4 spd
6) 63 Willys Wagoneer with a 4 spd and posi
If you're gonna dream.....

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
Thinking outside the Toyota box, my dream vehicles would include:

1. Willys Overland with modern drivetrain.

2. Legacy Powerwagon w/diesel, pick up or panel body.

3. Earthroamer, Uni-Cat or someother luxury land yacht.

4. Heavy duty truck with a sleeper, modified to be registered as a RV so it can tow my 5th wheel travel trailer (my 2nd home). I'am actually looking to buy a Volvo VNL 610 that is already modified and ready to go.

But back in the real world of STREGA I would more than likely replace the FJ with another FJ, also would go for the new 4 runner in a heartbeat.

Clutch

<---Pass
Money no object...

HINO (still more or less a Toyota, though)

Why: Do a camper with storage for all my outdoor gear, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, kayaks, etc...

20101018dakar_1.jpg

hinorallyoct11.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78