Fun With Recovery Gear

5Runner

Adventurer
PARTS:

Parts borrowed from recovery bag:
1) retired come-along (after getting winch on rig)
2) tree saver strap
3) two tow straps for adjusting length
4) shackles

Extra purchases:
1) 100 ft of vinyl coated 3/8-inch steel cable
2) one pulley
3) childs climbing harness
4) leader strap and locking caribeners

Put it all together and I build a zip line for my kids when we go camping.

zipequip1.jpg

zipequip2.jpg

The littlest tried the zipline for the first time last year, after two years of watching big bro and sis do it. I don't have any video uploaded of him but here are some pics. I also build a big swing for them
carterswing.jpg

DSC02791.jpg

I absolutely love these pictures:
lilclimber.jpg

cam-1.jpg

Is this "dangerous" for kids? I'd like to let them think so...but in reality, every single connection point in my site-erected zipline has a back up connection. If you notice in the video, you can even see that there is a webbing and a caribener draggin behind the pulley. If the pulley fails (500 lb rating), the caribener will catch. Same goes for both ends of the steel cable.

The only parts that would create disaster is if the steel cable snapped or the climbing harness failed...both of which I highly, highly doubt. I carefully inspect the cable when I break down the line.

I am new to this forum and think this "family adventure" section will be one of my favorites. My adventures ALWAYS include my kids, some combination of the three if not all. Cheers to all you adventure parents!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!! :coffeedrink: :victory:

And here's the kiddos job when we get home from our trips:
kidwash.jpg

Errant

Explorer
How very cool! I can't see you pics and vid here at work, but can't wait to get home to take a look :)

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
That's awsome! We had a zipline over the creek as kids, what a blast!

I'm getting ready to hook up and head out on my clubs (belated) "Fathers Day run", where the dads take the kids camping, wheeling, swimming for a few days:coffeedrink:

With most of our members working shift work, This is the only time that worked.

Ummmm, looking forward to some toasted Twinkies over the fire tonight!!:chef:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Awesome! We did a zipline about 2 years ago, and they had a little line set up in the playground so Phil got to try it, but it was just a bar you hang onto. He loved it!

IMG_2171.jpg

photoman

Explorer
So cool! I have a family camping trip in mid July and there are 10 kids between 11 and 2 yrs old.

Going to have to get the gear to make one of these!!

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Nice! That is a sweet setup! We have a zip line and big-air rope swing (with harness) set up in our back yard. Our boys LOVE it! Here are some pics of Hank (our 3 year-old) on the zip line (he was 2 at the time):

Hank Zipline 2.jpg

Hank Zipline 1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior