Fun With Recovery Gear

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
Awesome! They look so happy! I think you need taller children though.:sombrero:

kidwash.jpg

5Runner

Adventurer
Hey,

one of those pics looks like Eleven mile Canyon!?

Are you from the Springs?

We explore all over colorado. Sometimes its from a 4wheel drive book or website (traildamage.com, trailrecon.com, etc.) Other times we just use topo maps and look for national forest signs. That said...we "could" have been in eleven mile canyon?.

I am in the Denver metro area. I will have to look into the canyon you speak of.

Thanks to all for all the nice comments. I try to make sure the kids have plenty of fun, so I can have plenty of fun. With three kids, the odds are against me for keeping them all happy and loving camping and the mountains. I work hard to fight against those odds, but I notice now on year three it doesn't take much more than "we're going to the mountains" to make them all happy!! Yippie!!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
That looks awsome..........mines only 2.6 yo but I'm pretty sure she would be up for that !

around here it would have to be top a dune to the bottom,

mmmmI can see a nice climbing rope on my US shopping trip in 2 weeks

dammy bags will be fullon the way back here !

5Runner

Adventurer
5runner,

What make is the climbing harness your kids are using?

Thanks,
Dan

Here is the link to the harness and where I bought them:

http://www.rei.com/product/716710?p...-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

I started with just one, but refitting each time (even after doing 12 turns each) was a pain. Last christmas I bought two more for them. Now they can just leave the harness on whether they are on the swing or the zip line or waiting their turn. I hope this stuff will make them ready for rock climbing with me someday soon!!!

That looks awsome..........mines only 2.6 yo but I'm pretty sure she would be up for that !

around here it would have to be top a dune to the bottom,

mmmmI can see a nice climbing rope on my US shopping trip in 2 weeks

dammy bags will be fullon the way back here !

The first zip lines I made were with my climbing rope and a caribener. I had to make it pretty steep to get them moving. Also the nature of a climbing rope is that it is meant to stretch. Therefore I had to tension it a lot and it still would sag when the kids got on it. The steel cable works great!

I use the climbing rope now sometimes as a pulley system to get the kids across a deep creek or ravine without me having to cross each time they take a turn. I can just stay at the bottom. After I catch them, I clip them to the looped climbing rope in a pulley on each end of the zip line. I then just pull the rope and the kids get yanked back to the top. At the top, they unclip the caribener and come ziping down. I have two caribeners hooked in, so while I am pulling one caribener up with the kid attached, another one is coming back down for the next pull. In one of the videos, you can see the rope loop set up.

I get an upper body workout, they have a blast!! Win-win. :victory:

Shortpipes

KD0TRP
wow, I wish my dad was that cool. I've been thinking of a zip line using my winch and snatch block but that looks way safer and easier. I couldn't think of any ideas of how to stop someone before they ate the winch fairlead. glad my search came up with this thread. thanks.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
wow, I wish my dad was that cool. I've been thinking of a zip line using my winch and snatch block but that looks way safer and easier. I couldn't think of any ideas of how to stop someone before they ate the winch fairlead. glad my search came up with this thread. thanks.

Hey Shortpipes!

I was at Gander Mntn last night for my gun club meeting, while killing time, I noticed they carry both 'zip lines' and 'slack lines'.

Pretty cool for active kids!

I've done the winch line and snatch block for a zip line, I just left enough slack in it, so the kids wouldn't slam into the end.

Wasn't real fast, but they had fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior