Fuso 3.0 , Duonic transmission, SCR ?

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
If I release the brake pedal, slowly or suddenly, doesn't matter....it'll roll back.

Doesn't your truck have hill assist?
In my 2010 FG84 hill starts are a no brainer, as the hill assist negates ever needing to do a handbrake start. To be honest, it is one of my favourite features.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Theoretically...yes, it does. On lesser slopes, it works fine, it's those steep suckers that make it fail the test.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't know how the hill assist works on an auto, but on my manual there is a switch on the dash that allows you to "fine tune" this function. On the manual you can adjust when it will release the the brakes.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Ah, interesting. There's no such switch on the duonic equipped truck, I guess one must take it on faith that the thing knows what it's about.

One of the idiosyncrasies of the system.

farmergt

Noticed this is an old thread but maybe someone can help us out.

We have a 2012 Mitsubishi Fuso FEC52S with a Duonic transmission. The original transmission failed us soon after we purchased the truck in early 2019, the mechanic said that the scanner is showing a failed solenoid, the transmission will not engage (SYS T&M red dashboard light came on), basically the truck will not move. Since there are no parts available for this transmission, we bought a used Duonic with low mileage on it, the mechanic installed it and a 3000-4000 miles later we encountered the same issue (solenoid), the truck will not move. Mechanic could do a reset, the transmission will engage but once the accelerator is touched the same SYS T&M will light up and truck wont move.

Is anyone familiar with this failure and how to fix it?

Maybe more important, has anyone encountered a conversion of a truck with a Duonic transmission into a manual transmission?

Thanks in advance

davidtzlu

Hi folks
I’m wondering if anyone has a more recent take on these issues. Have they all been resolved? I’m looking at a 2014 Earthcruiser on the forum and want to understand the issues with the Powertrain better

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
On all of the Fuso truck forums I frequent there seems to be reports of ongoing engine/electrical issues with this 3.0L model.
From memory, there were a multitude of issues with the Duonic transmission, especially in the earlier days. I could be wrong, but I think that this ultimately resulted in a 100% recall of the gearboxes in the US/Canada and was arguably one of the main reasons Fuso pulled out of the US market. There was also issues with the DEF system and there were numerous recalls with that too.

If all of the recalls/fixes have been carried out on this truck you might be okay, but remember... it's a twin clutch system and it does not have a low range. That may not be an issue for you, but it could affect where you can comfortably take the truck. If the plan is to mainly go on the highway and forestry type trails, then you would probably be perfectly fine, but if the intent is to tackle more difficult terrain then a lack of low range could potentially prove problematic.

I should note, I do not own one of these trucks so my comments are not from first hand experience. I own the previous model, with a manual gearbox, low range and a 4.9L engine, which is a very different truck configuration.
Some people do like the 3.0L model, but from what I have seen, more don't.

You need to do your research and make your decision based on your own findings and what your intended usage might be.
Personally, if I were in the market for a truck today, I doubt I would consider a FGB71/FGB72, but each to their own.

Michelle@EarthCruiser

Supporting Sponsor
Fuso did recall and fix their issues. As for the lack of low range, Fuso redid the gearing on these trucks and once you get the hang of driving them they are more than competent with what most people do. If they've been properly maintained then you're good. As well, these trucks do best when they are driven regularly. They don't like to sit around.

Hoots16

This may seem kinda lame as I only have a fe160, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with deleting these models? It’ll be used as a chipper dump truck and be pulling a 3000lb wood chipper. I want to get the most out of this truck. Crazy to think about getting it tuned? The transmission issues with these trucks has me a bit nervous about modifications.
Thanks!

MJCake1

This may seem kinda lame as I only have a fe160, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with deleting these models? It’ll be used as a chipper dump truck and be pulling a 3000lb wood chipper. I want to get the most out of this truck. Crazy to think about getting it tuned? The transmission issues with these trucks has me a bit nervous about modifications.
Thanks!
I've never had any issues with my 2015 FG4X4.

MJCake1

Wow...that's a bit harsh and that's coming from me, a staunch Isuzu fan,

....and I stress this is my opinion only but I could not disagree more about the two points you made...... the best thing by far about the current FUSO is the 3.0 litre engine and it's incredibly wide power curve and rpm range......and the worst thing by far on the Isuzu ( and there is really very little to complain about otherwise) is amazingly the foam in the passenger seat....at least the FUSO has a framed squab...the Isuzu is only a thin piece of foam on top of the engine cover..... I know cause i just did 900km road trip in an Isuzu passenger seat two weeks ago and spent the whole time trying not to end up on the floor.....absolutley zero support under your thighs. Luckily someone has aftermarket solutions. BTW The FUSO driver's seat is fine but I am told Isuzu are opting for a similar sprung suspension seat next year too.

As far as the trim goes, the current Fuso is a big improvement over the earlier models and likewise Isuzu certainly raised the bar back around 2008 from the earlier N Series but not sure that they are that dissimilar now in 2012....I still prefer the Isuzu interior but that's personal taste not based on one being " junk".

Only driven one Duonic when they first came out on the 2wd FE earlier this year......honestly thought it was great although the test vehicle was very lightly laden. I am very keen to try a new North American Duonic FG next year and I think they'd be a good option here in Australian FGs's.

Anyway, welcome to the forum even if you're you really an Isuzu salesman in disguise.
I have National leather Air ride seats in ours!

MJCake1

I hate bumping a 2-year-old thread, but I stumbled across this forum and discussion and wanted to share my personal experience with the Mitsubishi-Fuso Canter.

They are awful, awful trucks. The best thing about them, and probably the only thing, is their turning radius.

The Duonic is JUNK. I can attest to the 100% failure rate in the states. I have vehicles that have had three Duonics replaced within 40,000 miles. I''ve had a Duonic and rear end fail within the first 5,000 miles on a 2015MY truck. I've seen trucks make it 80,000 before the Duonic fails, but it WILL fail. Lowes and Enterprise (largest purchasers of Fuso in the states) have stopped purchasing them because A) the trucks, while under warranty, had too much downtime and B) because there are no new trucks to sale. I noticed something odd: A recall was issued to include installation of an auxiliary transmission filter. After this recall, the Duonic failures seemed to skyrocket. I brought it up to my PSM who said he would mention it higher up. Nothing was ever said about it again, but I still suspect this could be somehow related. Possibly causing fluid cavitation due to the filter element micron rating being too much. Just a theory.

As of right now, and for the past year, Fuso has not been able to sale any trucks due to not being able to meet EPA standards.

I perform recall after recall after recall. In fact, there is a recall, that had a recall issued against the recall which also has a pending recall issued against it. I've been told for the past year that this is a HUGE recall coming for ALL Canters to include replacement of the injectors, turbochargers, DPF, SCR and installation of the cold-weather kits. I've been told this recall will be a 20+ hour recall. With roughly 10% estimated to require replacement of the cylinder head due to seized injectors. They had a recall to prevent the seized injectors to include a rubber boot being super glued into place...

Everything that has been said about these trucks in this thread is 100% true. It amazes me that people are still buying these trucks (when they can be found as there are no new trucks being produced because of the EPA issues) without spending 30-seconds performing a Google search.

All of my customers HATE their trucks, but always say, they "love the warranty". As soon as the base 3-year Warranty expires, Lowes and Enterprise drop the trucks. There are almost no Fusos owned by either company in this area any longer.

BTW, I'm a Service Manager for a Fuso dealership.
BS!

MJCake1

What type of failure or failures are the Duonic's having?

Considering that the Duonic can be driven in either one of two modes, are the failures in the 'Automatic' or 'Manual' mode?

Are the customers left stranded somewhere, when even the 'Manual' mode doesn't work?

What are the customer complaints regarding the Duonic transmission that put the truck into the shop?

Have you driven a truck with a Duonic transmission yourself, if you have, did you experience any of theses failures?
Never with my '2015

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12