Gas mileage while towing.

MIGZ

Observer
Hello I'm new here just wanted to introduce myself before I start asking questions

I know this is hard to determine since its variable from vehicle to vehicle and terrain. Over all have much % of your normal MPG have you lost by towing a small lets say 2000lb loaded trailer.

I currently own a 2008 FJ just in case some one has one and would be able to give a number that may be more useful to me.

Expect a 3-5mpg loss. And be very careful how you tow with that FJ's short wheelbase. I wouldn't feel very comfortable towing more than 2k lbs max with that small a vehicle. Hopefully it's a very very short tongue-to-axle trailer like a Chaser or M416 style.

Rexsname

Explorer
We have a 7'x10' Wells Cargo trailer that we use for our face-painting business. I pull it with a 2001 Tacoma V6 automatic (see sig.) My mileage goes from about 18mpg to about 12 or so. Its like pulling a big parachute. Even worse in the wind.

REX

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A small trailer that is within the slipstream of the vehicle, as CoastalDefender said, will reduce the consumption by around 3 mpg.

My Grand Cherokee gets 20 mpg on average not towing, and 16.8 mpg towing

To put it into perspective a loaded roof rack reduces is by 5 mpg plus.

compactcamping

Explorer
To give you an idea on the affect of terrain. My Outback Sport normally gets 29 mpg cruising 65-70, add my 1000 lb trailer and I get 27 mpg. Maintaining 55-60 on a 5-6 percentage graded I drop to 16-18.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I only drop 1.5mpg towing about 1800lbs, but my mileage starts off pretty low. My Bronco with stock 5.8 ltr and 35's gets about 14 normally, and 12.5 towing.

-

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
To give you an idea on the affect of terrain. My Outback Sport normally gets 29 mpg cruising 65-70, add my 1000 lb trailer and I get 27 mpg. Maintaining 55-60 on a 5-6 percentage graded I drop to 16-18.

What does you Outback get going up a 5 -6% grade without a trailer?

GTKrockeTT

Observer
MIGZ, my FJ's fuel economy with and without the trailer is about the same, if not better, and here's why. I'll drive faster when not pulling, and you already know about pushing that brick through air at high speeds. With the trailer, I'd be at 60-65 max, and probably chilling behind a semi, drafting at least partially. There have been times where I averaged 18mpg pulling the trailer, whereas I usually get 16-17 on road trips with just the FJ.

Of course, speed/wind resistance being equal, a 3-4mpg difference would be about right.

Honu

lost on the mainland
my FJ with conqueror trailer I got about 12 MPG avg
daily driving I get about 15 MPG with it

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
my numbers

With my dc 02 Taco I get daily 18mpg - give or take
a. while towing the Conqueror and the truck with just the flat ARE bed cover I dropped to 14-15 driving 65-70
b. while towing the Conqueror and the truck with the cap I dropped to 15-16 driving 65-70
So like Martin said, the whole in the air is punched, made better on my truck with the cap.

YMMV

texaslawman

Observer
I get 10 11 mpg fast/slow highway/city on/offroad but somehow im getting 14mpg towing my trailer. Crazy...:Wow1: 1995 80 series Landcruiser 315's 4.88's and a m416 style trailer.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Howdy, I get about 11 empty and 10-10.5 when towing my motorcycle at mogspeed......60mph. My wifes ML320 goes from 24 to about 21mpg when towing the same trailer at 65mph.
Chas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12