Gas mileage while towing.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I get 10 11 mpg fast/slow highway/city on/offroad but somehow im getting 14mpg towing my trailer. Crazy...:Wow1: 1995 80 series Landcruiser 315's 4.88's and a m416 style trailer.

I think you are the only person who gets this whole thing right.

"Save the planet, Buy a trailer" after all it increases your gas mileage.

Do you mind if I use these facts as the basis for an ad campaign :)

texaslawman

Observer
We need a big giant "******?" smiley.

I KNOW at the first fill up I thought maybe my speedo was going out so I used Gps for the second and the reading from other trucks in my group to confirm! The only thing I can think of is everything is off the roof rack and in the trailer now:safari-rig:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I KNOW at the first fill up I thought maybe my speedo was going out so I used Gps for the second and the reading from other trucks in my group to confirm! The only thing I can think of is everything is off the roof rack and in the trailer now:safari-rig:

That makes sense. When we researched it a few years ago our readings were 10% increase in fuel consumption towing a small trailer, and 15% increase with a loaded roof rack.

For a moment there I thought you must have been traveling in a negative gravity zone.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I lose about 4-5 mpg on the highway and about 1 mpg on the trails.
Jeeps and Conquerors are not wind cheaters.

texaslawman

Observer
That makes sense. When we researched it a few years ago our readings were 10% increase in fuel consumption towing a small trailer, and 15% increase with a loaded roof rack.

For a moment there I thought you must have been traveling in a negative gravity zone.

Yes sir the 80 series is already a big box then when I put the roof rack RTT sleeping bags and all that other junk up there I went to 10mpg. Now the RTT on the trailer sits lower than the roof rack. Another plus is its not so top heavy anymore one of the best things Ive done.

mrchips

Adventurer
That is using cruise control and I am running 4.88 gears. I am actually getting better MPG than with the stock 4.10 gears from the factory.

roadkill

Adventurer
pulling my M416 loaded with cooler and camping gear with my 06 LJ Rubi, 33s auto and 5.13 gears I some how managed 13.73 pulling it thru the hill country. return trip I got a little bit less, about 12. I think the headwnd really reduced the mpg. both ways I drove the same speed (65-70). I really haven't driven my LJ on the highway bobtail much but when I have its best was 14 mpg if I remember right. I'm beginning to think that the trailer helps the aerodynamics a bit by creating a pseudo boattail in the rear of the jeep. which has really made me want to look into these http://www.airtab.com/en/ I've heard lots of first hand testimonials on these airtabs all with a postive view on them. they seem to help in wet weather (reduced spray), windy conditions (reduced trailer sway) and most of all help fuel mileage. I wonder how well they would work on a jeep and trailer combo?

dsy

Adventurer
Pulling my loaded M101CND trailer with my hemi JK unlimited knocks me down about 2 miles per gallon. Last trip with cruise set at 65 I was getting 14.2 mpg. Set at 72 I avg 12 mpg 5.7 hemi with the stock Rubicon drive line and tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12