Gas powered 12Volt charger

orangeTJ

Explorer
here's the pics.......

the motor and alternator are attached to a purpose built metal base, then that is rubber shock mounted to a larger wood base so it would work better on uneven ground.

Marine style externally regulated alternator using a 3 stage "smart regulator" to maximize output of the alternator. 5hp briggs & stratton motor

gen1.jpg

gen2.jpg

gen3.jpg

taugust

Adventurer
I just got the latest Northern Tool catalog that shows a direct DC charge cord for the Honda EU series generators. There is also one for the EM and EG series. It looks like it plugs into a special socket.

VikingVince

Explorer
Over July 4th, I was beach camping for 8 days/7 nights. I knew I'd lose my aux battery after about 5 days. (brought along a big cooler with block ice) I tried running my truck for 2 hours to recharge the aux battery...didn't work adequately...I guess just not enough rpm's/alternator amps at idle.
So clue me in...why wouldn't these 12v chargers be a good solution with the situation I just described? A lot cheaper than a Honda generator.

A simple logistical question...whether a generator or charger, you have to run it outside of the vehicle. On the 12v charger, the battery terminal connectors appear to be on fairly short leads. My aux battery is in the front of my truck bed...how do you get the connectors to the battery (I'm NOT taking the aux battery out of truck)...just connect another set of jumper cables to the charger leads?...or would that type of connection result in a current loss?

Last edited:

taugust

Adventurer
Carlyle said:
I can't seem to find that, can you point me in the right direction?

If you are looking for the Honda EU charge cord, it shows up in the Northern Tool master catalog as item #166730-2901, $19.99. Unable to find on the website. Try calling 800-556-7885. The website only has basic specs on the generator, no details.

orangeTJ

Explorer
ntsqd said:
About 40 years ago my granddad took a Delco 100 amp Generator (& regulator) & put it on a frame with a 3HP Tecumseh using a V-belt drive. We used it mostly to charge farm implement batteries when getting the implement ready for the next season's use of it....

About 10 years ago I built one using a 5hp B&S motor, with 120 amp marine alternator and 3-stage regulator.

It works well, but I actually have no use for it anymore and want to sell it.

edit: opps, I see I posted pics already, http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=259485&postcount=47

Alten

Battery Charger Now in Built in the US

You would think there would be a ton of these things, a simple gas powered 12volt charger. What is easy to find is the 120AC/12V generators like the Honda e1000. The e1000 puts out less than 10amps on the 12V DC line. A car's alternator can put out from 50amps to 100+amps. The examples below put out 50 or 55amps, but there are versions that go beyond 100amps charging.

What I am thinking is getting is getting a 12V gas powered charger for my camper. My camper already has a 2000 watt A/C inverter that runs from 4 6V batteries. For extended dry camping, it would be nice to recharge the batteries in a few hours. Using solar is mixed, especially in highly wooded areas. Charging the batteries with my truck would take about 40hours (10amp/hrs for 40 hours for 400amp/hr battery pack).

So, after a search, I found serveral gas powered 12V chargers. The best one that I like seems to be only in Australia. No idea of the cost.

http://www.christieengineering.com.au/2.5hp.htm

The next one is a chinese knock off that I can get for about $300, but I think available in the US. It has lower noise output than the one above.

http://www.christieengineering.com.au/YK50A.htm

There are plans to make your own with a simple lawnmower engine and an alternator.

The Christie Engineering chargers are now built and sold in North America by ALTEN Battery Chargers (Ferndale, WA). They're available in gas or diesel, in 12, 24 and 48 volt models up to 120 amps. The Honda models use the commercial GX series motor and come with the 3-year Honda warranty, serviceable at any Honda dealer. You can also find a complete YouTube video demonstration of the chargers by Googling "Alten Battery Chargers", or here:

http://www.altenbatterychargers.com/products/battery-chargers.html

Drop us a note, we'd be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers.

PS The Chinese knock-offs were a result of an Australian distributor bypassing the manufacturer. The Chinese manufacturer was able to replicate absolutely everything including a dent in one of the components that came from shipping the original over for reproduction. Unfortunately they couldn't quite get them to work properly and almost all of the Chinese knock-offs ended up being returned to the Australian dealers.

Last edited:

NikonRon

Adventurer
Battery Charger

I would just use a Schumacher 25 amp battery charger coupled with my Honda EU1000 generator. It would charge 2-Trojan 6-volt batteries in a couple of hours. Ron

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Ron,

I don't see how the Honda 1000 could charge at 25 amps. I have a similar generator and it will produce a maximum of about 3 amps on 110 and 9 amps on 12 volt.

NikonRon

Adventurer
Carlyle, the battery charger puts out 25 amps when plugged into the 110 volt outlet on the generator. The dedicated 12 volt charger for the Honda does not put out much, which is why I found it more feasable to purchase a seperate 110 volt battery charger which you could also use at home or at a campground where you had shore power. Ron

Carlyle

Explorer
Ron,

I never professed in my life to having more than a rudimentary knowledge of electricity. But how does your or my 1000 watt generator produce 25 amps through a charger when it currently produces a maximum of 10 amps on 12 volt? Where does that extra power come from?

NikonRon

Adventurer
The generator is not putting out 12 volt power, it is producing 110 volt power to a charger that puts out 12 volt power at a charge rate of 25 amps. Ron

Carlyle

Explorer
Ron,

I just guess I'm a little ignorant, but if a 1000 watt generator only produces about 3 amps on 110, how does plugging in a charger bring it up to 25 amps? If this is the case, I'll get a charger like you are spec'ing next week.

Carl

peekay

Adventurer
Ron,

I just guess I'm a little ignorant, but if a 1000 watt generator only produces about 3 amps on 110, how does plugging in a charger bring it up to 25 amps? If this is the case, I'll get a charger like you are spec'ing next week.

Carl

Carlyle, you need to compare watts, not amps. I don't have a lot of electrical knowledge myself, but here's what I do know.

A 1000watt generator puts out:

83.3 amps at 12 volts (1000 watts/12 volts=83.3 amps) OR

9 amps at 110 volts (1000watts/110 volts=9 amps)

Therefore, 25 amps at 12 volts is certainly within the capabilities of the 1000 watt generator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior