Gas powered 12Volt charger

HINO SG

Adventurer
Th]http://www.altenbatterychargers.com/products/battery-chargers.html[/URL]

Drop us a note, we'd be happy to answer any questions.

Any chance of model more along the lines of the Honda EU1000- low noise, moderate fuel consumption, say 40A- capacity in the future?

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks for the help Ron and I think I have it figured out now. Charger between the generator and the batteries and hooked through the shunt. To further augment, put a 1000 watt inverter between vehicle batteries and the charger with a shut off relay so that the house batteries charge properly while driving down the road. Any input?

NikonRon

Adventurer
Carl,
Aren't your house batteries being charged while you drive from your vehicle's alternator? I suppose the inverter and battery charger would charge them quicker. I always tried to not let my batteries drop below 50% discharge, doesn't take as long to bring them back up and is better for the batteries. Ron

Really like the Alaskan!

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Ron,

Here is an answer to that borrowed from the Outback Power Systems Forum, which is the system I am using:

The issue is that the “12 V” batteries at 77 F (25 C) need about 14.4 V (and sufficient current) measured at the battery terminals at the transition between bulk and absorb stages. “13-14 V” less “0.5V to 1.0V” (~12.5 V to 13 V max at the batteries?) won’t do the job. If the batteries are cold, they’ll need an even higher charge voltage.

Unless there’s a positive voltage difference between the charging source and the batteries, they won’t charge, no matter how big the alternator. The result is batteries that measure 12.5 V at rest after being “recharged” instead of 12.8 V or so.

And for me I have learned that if my batteries are down they charge very very slowly. :smiley_drive: My system will shut down if it drops below 75% which has not happened yet.

Glad you like the Alaskan, so do I!

NikonRon

Adventurer
The inverter may really help you out in your situation. Do you have solar panels also? The Yamaha is really the trick I think, and so quite you really hardly notice them running. I realize your operating on propane, but I always put mine 50 ft. away from camp and ran an extension cord. Also helped to have something between the generator and camp to block the sound. ( a rock, tree, vehicle,etc.) Ron

Carlyle

Explorer
I am running a pair of 85 watt solar panels as well, but they are affected by weather, time of day and time of the year versus your location. Great when at peak efficiency, but that is sporadic. The generator is really not very loud and with the right charger I should have to run it only a couple hours every other day or less, unless I watch too many late night movies.

BTW, the propane conversion is sweet and one less fuel type to bring along.

D

Deleted member 9101

Why not take the motor off a garden tiller (or snow blower) and hook it to a car alternator?

ick

For those with larger battery banks I can see a need for this product. I have a 450 Ah house bank, 1800 w inverter and no genset on a boat. Charging the bank is really a pain as I need to run the engine at high idle for 8+ hours to fully charge the bank (my 65amp stock alternator probably puts out closer to 40 amps when it's hot).
Some of the big reasons this is an ideal solution:
#1. No room for solar
#2. On the water so jumping from a vehicle isn't an option (even if it were, the recharge time would be crazy).
#3. Cost - why buy a generator and a battery charger? If I could find a cost effective generator that had a built-in transfer switch and electric start I would consider it.

Current setup

Shore Power -> Inverter w/ Transfer switch -> A/C load
..........................╚House bank
................................╚DC load

Desired setup #1

Shore Power -> Genset w/ Transfer Switch -> Inverter w/ Transfer switch -> A/C load
...................................................................╚House bank
........................................................................╚DC load

I am thinking about making charger w/ a high output (200+ amps) alternator as my A/C load can reach 2kw which is quite a load on the D/C side.

Desired setup #2

Shore Power -> Inverter w/ Transfer switch -> A/C load
........................╚House bank
gas powered alternator ╝╚DC load

I'm really happy with the setup right now as the inverter is nice quiet power but when I have large load needs like microwave and air conditioning it would be nice to fire up a unit to keep my batteries up.

Last edited:

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
Interesting thread.

They say it takes 1 horsepower for to turn an alternator and produce 25 amps, So you would need an 8 hp motor running at max rpm to turn the 200 amp alternator fast enough for it to approach it's claimed 200 amp output.

I couldn't imagine an 8 hp Briggs and Stratton roaring away in the hold or on deck.

And say it is roaring along, and your inverter is asking for 2000 watts from the battery bank. So you fire up the B&S to pump amps back into the batteries which then send it to the inverter.

Sounds like it would be very hard on the batteries.

I hear you about the cost, but a 2000 watt Honda could serve your AC loads, and replenish your battery bank with a big charger. Quietly. Walmart sells 40 amp vector chargers for pretty cheap. You can put 2 on your battery bank. There is a guy over on RV net who runs 2 vector chargers at the same time off a honda 2000 charging the same battery bank. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23799919/gotomsg/23800766.cfm#23800766

You could easily run a 80 amp charger off of a 2000 watt Honda.
Keep in mind your batteries could only accept that kind of amperage if they were very low, and only for a while, but not if they are old, abused and sulfated. AGM batteries could accept much more and faster, but again, cost.

But anything has to be better than running your engine for hours and hours on end for relatively little charging.

If you had a generator, you would not need to abuse your battery bank as much either, and would be able to recharge it easily quietly and quickly those times you do.

Another option would be to put another alternator on your current engine, one rated at higher amperage, and put on some 1 gauge or 0 or 00 gauge wiring to pass the amps.

Carlyle

Explorer
I now use a 30 amp smart charger with my 1000 watt generator. This combination will take my batteries from 75 to 100 percent in a little over four hours. The alternator of the truck charges the bank slowly at best and only used as an addition when traveling. Perhaps a system could be used with an inverter to bring power to the charger, but this seems inefficient at best.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Did you guys in the US never get the baby 2 stroke Honda 35Amp @ 12VDC charger?

I think they took them of the market about 10 years ago. They had double the poles so only need to run at 1500rpm, not 3000 like normal. IIRC. Very quiet. Like a new Honda EU 1000 4 stroke. Very very compact too. About 13" long x 10" higb x 5" deep. My brother still has his. Won't part with it. Maybe it was a "Honda DC400", not 100% on that. Black in colour. Sure, not as powerful as a Christie but still a fantastic thing to keep in the vehicle.

I got a 350watt / 240VAC version "Honda EU350" . Look exactly the same but is metallic red in colour. Only used it for flood lighting our campsite. Same low noise output. BTW mine still has a little 6A 12VDC additional output as well like most AC gensets

Last edited:

oldosc

old osc

Morning gentlemen,
Reading this thread with interest.. In my last vehicle, I installed a Sterling Alternater battery charger, clever sod..charges your leisures off the alternater, at 40/60 amps on ticker over. had it four years, when I ran low((we camp sauvage) (that's eurospeak for tucked up in a wood.)) have a dvd player to watch pre records at night. Also have two semi electric bikes, and an electric outboard for my sea cat....the sterling coped well with about 1 hour tick-over a day.
However, Chausson bit broken in Ukrane due to roads slightly excentric.
Bought new Hymer, due to warenty cannot adapt alternator so bought sterling Battery to Battery charger..clever sod again, will charge leisure batteries at 40 amp whilst moveing..NOW only problem is I am informed modern diesels do not like 1 hour tick over, the bores become glazed and rings do not bite.
I offer the above as an observation..worked for me Company is STERLING Battery co
I am saving up for a fuel sell..v expensive..but Lady J threatens poison If i try a gererator.

TCcruzn

Observer
You can get alot more charging amperage out of the inverter type generators by plugging a high amp smart charger into the AC, instead of using the DC output. The smart charger will also regulate the amperage going into the battery which helps your batteries last longer.

D

Deleted member 9101

So lets see..used tiller engine and a used alternator.... for less than 100.00 I would think you can build one.

762X39

Explorer
So lets see..used tiller engine and a used alternator.... for less than 100.00 I would think you can build one.
Ok, so has anyone actually done this and made it happen or is this just academic?
I seem to remember a military 24vdc charger that was powered by a small petrol engine to charge 24 volt systems (radio truck batteries or something). I think you need a few more pieces like a charge controller, fuel tank, cage to hold it all together... might be easier to buy something already built.:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior