GatorDoc’s 3rd gen Cummins Dodge

03humpalot

Quick update,
have my rig in today getting the brakes checked as the ABS keeps going out. Dealer (yeah i know) stated that both my upper and lower ball joints were shot. I have about 5k miles now on the XRF ball joints...gonna have a mechanic buddy i trust check them out but for the time being buyer beware.

ArmyTaco

Observer
Heres my .02 being I have an 07.

Fuel filtering. Just because it says FASS or Airdog does not mean better filtering. Most of the filters than come are 5 micron..You have to search to get a true 2 micron filter. What I think the best and most affordable way to do this is with the Glacier Diesel Performnace 2 mc filter kit. This goes between the stock housing and injection pump. Use a Baldwin in the stock housing for a true 5 micron filter and use a Cat 2 micron on the GDP filter base. You can get the whole kit for $200. The cat filters are about $13.

Tires- If you want an aggressive tire get the Toyo Mt or Nitto Trail Grapplers. If you search you will find that the Toyo actually wear quite well if take care of them. Many people have gotten 40-50k out of them. Same with the Nitto's. I have a friend who has 30k on his and lots of tread left. I just put a set of 35x12.50x17's on my truck, but only had em on for 400 miles or so.

Ball Joints...just spend the cash and get good ones. Moogs have proven to be junk and the XRF have had problems too. I am planning on getting a nice set and a couple rebuild kits to keep on hand. I plan on keeping the truck for a while anyway.
The rest is up to you. These are the things I have done and know about.

ArmyTaco

Observer
If you got the coin I would go with the DynaTrac. These trucks are so heavy they really wear out front end parts. And if your gonna use it out in the woods or offroad then I would spnd the money, do it right the first time and not have to worry about it. You can just rebuild those. They are pricey but have good reviews. They just started with the sealed XRF's but I dont like the splined ends to make them fit. Once you do it your stuck with those if they cause any damage and that will cost you more than just spending the coin the first time and have Bj's you can rebuild and are made to take abuse. When you see these 7-8k pound trucks with these nice suspensions jumping and hitting whoops it really shows what a good product is worth IMO.

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Carli also has indestructible ball joints that they warranty forever. Not cheap though, but nothing quality is these days.

bfdiesel

Explorer
If you want to put a cat filter between the stock filter and cp3 napa filter base for the cat 2 micron filter is a 4770. That base and some fuel hose should be much less than $200.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Thanks for all the good info everyone is posting, lots of food for thought to plan future mods.

I finally got around to getting new tires, got em mounted and balanced and on the truck tonight. Here is a teaser:

IMAG0692.jpg

Better pics and details tomorrow.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Treadwrights?

-Alex

Exactly right, good eye!

Ordered 315/75R17s in a D range as advertised on their website, but they hooked me up and actually shipped me 35X12.5R17s in load range E. The truck looks much better with the bigger tires, more proportionate, and the only rubbing I am getting is minor contact with the upper drivers side control arm at full lock. So far, so good. I don't have mileage figures yet, but I'm hoping with the 4.10 gears I won't take too big a hit.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
IMAG0704-1.jpg

IMAG0702-1.jpg

A couple better pics, they fit quite nicely. City mileage has definitely gone down, she needs a bit more go pedal now to get moving. Hopefully I will get the chance to find some dirt and highway miles this weekend, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Next project is tranny and rear diff service before I drive back to Michigan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior