Getting closer to pulling the trigger, have a few questions.

Joeprunc

Observer
I'm finally getting closer to pulling the trigger on a pop top camper. Looking at either a used Northstar 650 or FWC Hawk. I'd prefer the Hawk, but prices and availability of used ones seem to be difficult to find.

Question #1:
How many of you keep these in your garage? I have a three car garage right now, (a double bay and one single bay). I'd like to keep the car and pop top in the garage without making it impossible to get in and out of the car. Does anyone have pictures of their pop top camper in the garage with a car?

Question #2:
Our HOAs do not allow an RV, trailer, or TC in the driveway for more than 24 hours. How long does it take to load or off load a truck camper? I know it depends on the skills of the driver, but how long does it take you?

Question #3:
If I go with a norhtstar should I go with Happyjacs or Torklift?

Finally did it

Well its been a long time coming, and a finally picked up a Northstar TC650. I wanted the extra storage, and amenities of a NS over FWC. Picked up this gem for a lot less than I anticipated, from a lovely old couple that bought it new in 2002. Gave myself 2 months of prepping and planning for my ski trip to Colorado. First things on the list...install torklifts on the front, Happijacs on the rear, and build a cart to fit in the garage. Then figure out how to store three pairs of skis (I think i can fit two in the side rear compartment)...She is a bit heavier than I thought, and very glad I have a 3/4 ton.

B65484BE-6598-459B-958A-0A9459C930E9_zpsqpkdbwhp.jpg

0238C26B-27BD-434E-B3CA-65E01B5913E0_zps6uczrubn.jpg

Last edited:

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
I can address #2. With the jacks completely off at the beginning, it takes me about 45 minutes to an hour to take to camper off the truck taking my time. Putting it back in takes about the same time. I've only had mine off the truck twice so I don't rush the process either way.

I have a full size camper and I'd say it takes me on average (30) minutes to load or unload. There's really not much to it and the more you do it the better you'll get.

I have Happijac Jacks and have hated that company since nearly day one (slight stretch but not much of one). My jacks started rusting really, really bad within (6) months of buying my camper new. They wouldn't warrant them unless I shipped them to Colorado (pictures weren't good enough for them.......as I recall this is where they're located) at my expense, and even then they said it was questionable that they would cover it. They said that they had produced a bad batch but mine wasn't in the bad batch. ****** ?!? Over the years I've replaced numerous motors and have replaced both the front jacks. If you search them on the internet they get beat up pretty bad. I have heard that they've improved overall but I have no idea if that's true.

Torque Lift is an awesome company. I have their tie downs. I took my rig off road (somewhere that I never should have gone......my friend's fault for pushing me on) and bent several of the tie downs. Torque Lift said that they hadn't seen that before but they sent me (4) new tie downs, a Torque Lift baseball cap, and an apology letter......all at no charge with no hassle whatsoever.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: With a little planning-you should be able to get the trailer in too-

I have my Jeep JKU Rubi/Ford Ranger/Toyota Matrix/Tentrax Trailer in my garage and I'm able to move around all and still have my garage junk/cabnets/workbench/racks, in there-

Although ithe trailer's balanced well enough that I can moveit by myself, tongue weight is usually 65lbs-

You can doit--

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I don't have a camper yet but will. I do have a 3 car garage (one single and one tandem side). If I can clear enough junk, I'd be able to unload the camper in the back of the tandem side. I have entertained the idea of a cheap folding flatbed trailer (think harbor freight) and a sturdy wheeled tongue jack. I ought to be able to drop it on the trailer and shuffle it around fairly easy if I needed to. It would also make loading/unloading out of the garage easier if it is a concern.

rotti

Adventurer
Do you have a 8' garage door?
My FWC camper is on full-time on a 2500 Chevy and I just clear my 8' door by a couple of inches.

IXviPsx.jpg

craig333

Expedition Leader
I'd contact your hoa. They may be willing to make an exception for a popup. Worth a shot.

cchoc

Wilderness Photographer
So far, knock wood, my HOA hasn't complained about my Eagle. It's light enough that the tag office said I didn't need a title for it although a standard truck camper does. It's about an inch too tall to fit in my garage.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I have a Toyota Tacoma and FWC Finch. I found a small trailer at Lowes for about $300 so I can put the jacks on the camper, take it off the truck, and pull forward then drop the camper onto the trailer. The camper/trailer is then backed into the garage with room to spare (I have a 2 1/2 car garage) for my wife's car.

I have had a Northstar camper, and found them to be heavy and somewhat limited on quality. Their crank for raising the roof broke at the weld several times. I altered the design with a pin instead of a weld and it worked better. The newly designed FWC cabinets are far above the Northstar.

As far as the homeowners association goes we have a similar clause, however, there is also a stipulation that it would not apply to a daily driver vehicle. I've had no issues with my Tacoma/Finch parked in my driveway.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I have a Toyota Tacoma and FWC Finch. I found a small trailer at Lowes for about $300 so I can put the jacks on the camper, take it off the truck, and pull forward then drop the camper onto the trailer. The camper/trailer is then backed into the garage with room to spare (I have a 2 1/2 car garage) for my wife's car.

I have had a Northstar camper, and found them to be heavy and somewhat limited on quality. Their crank for raising the roof broke at the weld several times. I altered the design with a pin instead of a weld and it worked better. I would have to say the quality differences are seen throughout all aspects of the two campers (FWC being the best), but the newly designed FWC cabinets are far above the best improvement over the Northstar.

As far as the homeowners association goes we have a similar clause, however, there is also a stipulation that it would not apply to a daily driver vehicle. I've had no issues with my Tacoma/Finch parked in my driveway.

Joeprunc

Observer
Been a Long time Coming

Well its been a long time coming, and a finally picked up a Northstar TC650. I wanted the extra storage, and amenities of a NS over FWC. Picked up this gem for a lot less than I anticipated, from a lovely old couple that bought it new in 2002. Gave myself 2 months of prepping and planning for my ski trip to Colorado. First things on the list...install torklifts on the front, Happijacs on the rear, and build a cart to fit in the garage. Then figure out how to store three pairs of skis (I think i can fit two in the side rear compartment)...She is a bit heavier than I thought, and very glad I have a 3/4 ton.

B65484BE-6598-459B-958A-0A9459C930E9_zpsqpkdbwhp.jpg

0238C26B-27BD-434E-B3CA-65E01B5913E0_zps6uczrubn.jpg

IPA

Observer

Nice looking setup. Very similar to what I am hoping to put together over the next year.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Happijacs are in great condition 16 yrs after manufacture. I don't travel with them and only use them when dismounting my Northstar. I have replaced the corner plates once due to rust as I live five miles from the Pacific ocean.
Ditto with the Happijac tiedowns. Zero issues to date with two trucks and as many tiedowns. Happijac's front centering system works terrific.
Concerning the lift mechanism I've raised and lowered the top hundreds of times in 16 years with no issues. The crank gear has been known to fail and EBay offered a beefed one for a time. I make sure the handle is inserted all the way.
I've raised the top with two longboards and a short board up there many times but lucked out I guess as that is not recommended by Northstar.
My friend scored a 650 shortbed model in superb shape for $4800. Your 2500 Chevy with some airbags,better shocks and good E-rated tires will handle a NS easily. They're out there.

Joeprunc

Observer
My Happijacs are in great condition 16 yrs after manufacture. I don't travel with them and only use them when dismounting my Northstar. I have replaced the corner plates once due to rust as I live five miles from the Pacific ocean.
Ditto with the Happijac tiedowns. Zero issues to date with two trucks and as many tiedowns. Happijac's front centering system works terrific.
Concerning the lift mechanism I've raised and lowered the top hundreds of times in 16 years with no issues. The crank gear has been known to fail and EBay offered a beefed one for a time. I make sure the handle is inserted all the way.
I've raised the top with two longboards and a short board up there many times but lucked out I guess as that is not recommended by Northstar.
My friend scored a 650 shortbed model in superb shape for $4800. Your 2500 Chevy with some airbags,better shocks and good E-rated tires will handle a NS easily. They're out there.

Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a TC650 last weekend. Looking at doing a few things to the camper before my shake down camp, any input would be appreciated.
  • Whats the best upgrade/addition you've done for your camper?
  • Have you converted your flouresent/incadecent bulbs to LED? What style brands worked best?
  • Did you install a battery voltage reader so you know how much juice you have left?
  • When storing your camper do you disconnect the battery? Or just keep it plugged into the house?
  • Rear awning or side awning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears