Getting closer to pulling the trigger, have a few questions.

brian90744

American Trekker
I remember back in 2013 you was looking for a Northstar 650, It's easy to make a few Mods and make it more livably. I leave mine on the truck all year.check out my battery idea.on my thead

2003 Chevy 1500 HD 4X4 Quadrasteer & 2007 TC650 NorthStar, brian

Last edited:

kpredator

Adventurer
northstar

x2 on e rated tires and air bags.tires maybe most important part of our rig.
if you have a fantastic fan vent,maybe a spare cover. fits under the bed.fantastic fan guys are great.
we also don't travel with the jacks.alot of extra weight.
2 jerry cans fit on the sides of the camper behind the wheel well.
thats also where we keep our shovel,jack and wood for a fire.
we had to put 2x4 spacers under our camper for support and fit the bed rails better.
under the camper is where we keep our sand ladders.
we pulled the three way propane fridge and replaced with compressor fridge.great move.
pulled the water tank as we are out in the cold often.
we do dishes in a tub and carry water in 1 and 5 gallon jugs.
if your spare is under your camper ,make sure you can get it off with the camper on.
keep camper inside when stored if possible,support it well when off the truck.
do not over tighten top latches,important.
we cut off the jack wrenches and use a cordless drill to raise and lower jacks.
we are putting on a awning .probably a fiama 35 pro
and mounting a table slide under bed on the outside of camper.ezi awn table.
some day will do the solar panels.

good luck
kp

Joeprunc

Observer
I'll probably start another thread with my progression, but a few items I'd like to add to this thread first.

#1. Tie downs: The torklift tie downs are much beefier, I feel safer driving with them tied down that way. HOWEVER on my truck they block access the to gas tank. I have to disconnect the spring turnbuckles each time I fill. I guess this is an issue more often than not. I tried rotating brackets, but still block the tank.

#2. if you use the Happijac turn buckles with the torklift, they do not reach, must use chain, or a longer j hook.

#3. One battery is not enough while in the winter. I am adding solar and maybe even a 1000 w generator.

#4. Gray water drain freezes in winter...need tub for dishes.

#5. I am happy with the Northstar storage, and not having to make the bed when dropping the camper.

Few picts from the past weekend.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks for the input. I ended up getting a TC650 last weekend. Looking at doing a few things to the camper before my shake down camp, any input would be appreciated.
  • Whats the best upgrade/addition you've done for your camper?
  • Have you converted your flouresent/incadecent bulbs to LED? What style brands worked best?
  • Did you install a battery voltage reader so you know how much juice you have left?
  • When storing your camper do you disconnect the battery? Or just keep it plugged into the house?
  • Rear awning or side awning?

1. Best upgrade was King shocks,airbags and a standard Hellwig swaybar. Best interior upgrade is Reflectix insulation.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reflecti...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST24025/100020855
2.LED's inside and out and I wish I could remember the brand. Another camper owner can help.
Never bothered with a voltage reader. I just get a standard wet RV battery every 3-4 yrs which I charge a couple times a month at home or on the road. I would imagine a trickle charger would be advised for storage.
3. The camper's on 24/7.
4. No awning. Northstar uses Fiamma I believe. A guy in my neighborhood uses an ARB.

Be sure when letting the top down you reverse the Fantastic Fan flow and keep the door closed. The fan will suck the sides in everytime. If it doesn't have an FF consider one.
I remove my jacks once the camper's mounted. That'll increase ground clearance and lighten your load about 140# or so.
The below bed storage is super helpful. No condensation issues down there as Northstar insulates the space below the bed. Keeping a vent open an inch or so eliminates most of the condensation on the tent walls.
Enjoy.

kerry

Expedition Leader
You can get a volt meter which plugs into the 12 volt cigarette lighter. Simple, easy. I keep one in my Northstar.

Josh41

Adventurer
I have a Toyota Tacoma and FWC Finch. I found a small trailer at Lowes for about $300 so I can put the jacks on the camper, take it off the truck, and pull forward then drop the camper onto the trailer. The camper/trailer is then backed into the garage with room to spare (I have a 2 1/2 car garage) for my wife's car.

I have had a Northstar camper, and found them to be heavy and somewhat limited on quality. Their crank for raising the roof broke at the weld several times. I altered the design with a pin instead of a weld and it worked better. The newly designed FWC cabinets are far above the Northstar.

As far as the homeowners association goes we have a similar clause, however, there is also a stipulation that it would not apply to a daily driver vehicle. I've had no issues with my Tacoma/Finch parked in my driveway.

Do you have a picture of this, would love to see it.

cninghm

Adventurer
Had similar issues. Started looking at tacoma/fwc so it would fit in my garage. Moved to the tc650 because of the hominess (less utilitarian than the fwc). Hoped to fit the Northstar on a 1500. Ended up going up to a RAM 3500/TC650. Torklift tie-downs, happijacks, torklift glow-steps, thanks to all the recommendations on this forum. No regrets. Love my rig. It sure turns a lot of heads. camper.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger