Getting Stuck & How You Got Out? Need Some Help!

spyware3411

So I am working on my thesis project and am trying to obtain some research. I am looking into self-recovery devices that could be used/stored within the driver's vehicle(aside from a winch system).

What kind of situations have you been in where your vehicle has been mildly stuck(mud/sand/snow)? Stuck enough that you could not simply drive it out of the situation, but not catastrophically stuck to the point where you needed a 2-ton truck or winch system to pull you out.

How were you able to get out?

Did you resort to any alternative methods?
-I have found products such as the Maxtrax (maxtrax.com.au/) and air bags/sand tracks. Has anybody used any of these products? What are your thoughts about them? What works well/does't work?

I am curious as to what other techniques people have used to relieve their stuck car, and how well they worked? (ie. Sticks, carpet, shovel, 2x10 plank, come-along, tow straps, kitty litter...)

As well as, what type of tools do/should the mild adventurist keep in their trunk?

Lastly, have you ever been in a situation where you could not use your car jack? Why? (uneven ground, in mud, sand, needed more surface area for base?)

Please, any and all information is welcome! Thank you very much for your time and responses!

LR Max

Local Oaf
One of mine was from Tellico. My rear diff got high centered on a rock, and I was going nowhere. I got out my bottle jack, lifted up one rear wheel, but a 6" x 6" x 12" block of wood under the tire. Then I was able to drive right off of it.

Another was my friend got his TJ stuck on a tree stump. I took my spotters rope, tied it to the B pillar-location of his cage and literally rocked the truck off of it.

I've seen people try to use floor mats for traction. All it does is shoot the stupid mat out from under the tire.

Last edited:

spyware3411

I've seen people try to use floor mats for traction. All it does is shoot the stupid mat out from under the tire.

Thanks for that little tip! I had people on other forums mention mats, although they can provide traction, I didn't think about how they'll just fly through. I had watched too many MaxTrax videos with the plank wedging under.

Count Fred

Observer
Been high centered in late season snow (thawed and refrozen, mostly just crunchy ice at this point, not fluffy snow). Hi-lifted each wheel up and buried firewood underneath it. No rocks around to speak of, but the firewood pushed right into the ice and held firm while providing traction to get moving. With a fairly smoothish ramp dug out in front of each tire, this was enough to get moving again.

Description makes it sound easy. Lack of shovel (put by the door on the way out, and left it there by mistake) and 5 hours in drizzling conditions and it's easier said then done.

I bought a winch the next week. And a small shovel now lives in the vehicle permanently.

Cheers,
JFS III

herm

Adventurer
as far as a mild kit, a shovel and a tow strap are about as basic as you can get. I carry a shovel, maxtrax, 2 recovery straps, a comealong, and 4 shackles. I somewhat rely on having someone else come by if i need a pull out, but most situations i can figure something out.

herm

Adventurer
i just got them in may, and have not really used them. I am confident that I could have gotten out twice last winter without having to have someone pull me from a snow drift. I have played around a bit with them and they seem like they will work well. Size is not too much of a concern, I have them with my shovel and dewalt sealed tool boxes in the bed of my truck, they will be mounted to the rear of a camper i am planing on buying soon.

brianwj

Observer
My two worst stuck situations were a high centered vehicle. The first was drivers side tires fell through the ice on a trail so we hammered 2x10 planks under each tire and used them as ramps to drive out. I've since bought the HighLift wheel attachment for my jack which would have made it easier to get something under the tire since it lifts from the wheel and not the body. The second was all four tires in the air with snow and ice packed under the body. That required a lot of digging but I had a shovel and never go without one after that.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I find these very successful in sand/snow, but

Sandtracks711044.jpg

Sandtracks711040.jpg

Only because I have an auto tranny/4-1 xfer case and VERY LOW GEARING !

I also have mobie winchs-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

youwillforget

Adventurer
We were out on a utility service road in the winter in less than 2 inches of snow and we made some ruts that were super slick, the rear diff was dragging and we couldn't get enough traction to back out. We spent 30-45 minutes snapping twigs and stomping them into the ruts nothing larger than a marker in diameter and we piled them up the whole 30 feet in both ruts then cover them with pine bows. It worked really well they made kind of a mat that locked together.

92path_68CJ

Crawl-O-Matic
I've never gotten stuck in snow yet (fingers crossed!), however, that hasn't stopped me from being prepared.
A buddy of mine who always comes wheeling with us carries a set of 4 foot loading ramps, nearly identical to these.

http://www.amazon.com/Ramps-Truck-P..._6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1347856545&sr=1-6

I carry two sets of "v bar" tire chains, a 20 foot tow strap, 3 shackles, two shovels, a pickaxe, two crow bars, gloves, several 2X4s and a bottle jack.
Never gotten in so deep that I couldn't get out with these tools.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
A shovel, jack and winch. If I'm going into snow, tire chains and a couple of 2x8 boards....
On overlanding trails I rarely if ever get stuck, except when driving in deep loose sand (hello maxtrax or other similar traction aid).

Otherwise when I get stuck on the rocks I'm either gonna have to jack her up and throw rocks underneath, or winch/strap her out... unless I do something stupid like break a trailing arm or split the rear solid axle housing... yup done both of those. None of the recovery tools helped in those 2 situations.

In order of importance IMHO: HiLift+Base > Shovel > Sand Ladder of some type.

ohv

Observer
Desert... sand... air down to 5psi... 4lo and go slow.
Air up to whatever is needed and play on.

And I always keep a set of cones with me.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I would suggest you find a couple of friends who have 4WD vehicles, that they don't mind getting dirty, go out and get stuck and figure out how to get out. Then consider the various aids in that light and how they might have made things easier. Some practical experience would make your thesis a more interesting read than pure theory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998