Gitout.com - Ultimate Expedition Build - 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

montypower

Adventure Time!
You bet. I'm going to replace my suspension in the next couple months... so pm me if you want my setup. Going to King 2.5" Resi.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Are you doing custom? or the standard coilovers? I was checking on those but I can't see what kind of lift they give. I would like to stay at 2 inches just to keep the driveline reliable.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Are you doing custom? or the standard coilovers? I was checking on those but I can't see what kind of lift they give. I would like to stay at 2 inches just to keep the driveline reliable.

They are fully adjustable. http://www.filthymotorsports.com/King_OEM_Montero_Shocks_p/king-25001-264.htm

Cost is $2,200 w/o upgrades and you need to buy rear springs. Geared more toward high speed / race type performance. I had Icon 2.5" Resi shocks on my 13 Taco and loved them. So excited to get some performance suspension on the Monty!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Finally got around to getting some video editing in. Since I'm waiting on parts... figured I'd do some editing. Quick Monty update: I pulled the front end out of the Montero yesterday and waiting for a couple bushings before installing the 4.90 gears w/ ARB locker. Also replaced all the axle bearings, seals and CV shaft boots (preventative). 35s will be here next week. King Coilovers will be here in the next couple weeks. Getting ready for an epic year of trips in 2015.

Trans-America Trail in a Stock Montero - Part 2 : A Deep Hole

[video]http://gitout.com/content.php?318-Trans-America-Trail-in-a-Stock-Montero-Part-2-A-Deep-Hole[/video]

Full Report: http://gitout.com/content.php?318-Trans-America-Trail-in-a-Stock-Montero-Part-2-A-Deep-Hole

Last edited:

kbahus

Adventurer
Are the King's going to have reservoirs? Where do you plan on mounting them? Here is a link with King's installed but they ran the reservoirs inside. http://adam4crosscountry.wordpress.com

So far it is the only info I can find of another Montero running King shocks.

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Yes. Will decide mounting location when they arrive. It will be outside in the wheel well. The new wheels have plenty of offset so location shouldn't be an issue but will find out.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I didn't think you could get 35's on there w/o hacking up the fenders. were you able to get the IBP option on your kings? I can't wait for an update on this one.

montypower

Adventure Time!
I didn't think you could get 35's on there w/o hacking up the fenders. were you able to get the IBP option on your kings? I can't wait for an update on this one.

I removed all the plastic trim. Front fenders are cut 1" higher. My buddy is a fabricator with CNC table and he may build a 1-1.5" subframe lift (anyone else want one?). That will give plenty of clearance. It's drivable as-is but does rub top of the inner fender on compression.

No, didn't get IBP. They said shocks were not long enough (more off road buggy long travel type shocks). They were on the truck for delivery today (missed the driver) so hopefully tomorrow.

I removed all the plastic trim. Front fenders are cut 1" higher. My buddy is a fabricator with CNC table and he may build a 1-1.5" subframe lift (anyone else want one?). That will give plenty of clearance. It's drivable as-is but does rub top of the inner fender on compression.

I would really love to see this front subframe drop for a gen 2.5!!

montypower

Adventure Time!
Just do a body lift. The 3rd gen uses a subframe / unibody design so you can't do a body lift. However, the subframe bolts on so it can be dropped. The biggest benefit is that it lifts everything front / rear bumpers (better approach / departure angles) and more side clearance. Some Japan company makes a 6" subframe lift but not only is it weak but also not practical (too high and not durable for heavy off road use). It will be interesting building something for the truck

kbahus

Adventurer
Did you catch the delivery man? Looking forward to some pics of the King's. I gotta ask though, why not save the coin and go with Radflo?

montypower

Adventure Time!
Did you catch the delivery man? Looking forward to some pics of the King's. I gotta ask though, why not save the coin and go with Radflo?

Yes! May install the rear tomorrow. I'll get some pics of the install.

I wanted something dialed in with 2.5" body and resi. Not really concerned with cost more performance and durability

kbahus

Adventurer
Well that makes sense, King is supposed to one of the best. I drooled over their lc80 suspension for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan