Gitout.com - Ultimate Expedition Build - 2003 Mitsubishi Montero Limited

montypower

Adventure Time!
How is the install going?

Got them installed last week. The front coilover does not clear the upper a-arm. I'll need to either clearance and reinforce it or relocate the lower aarm mount forward. Only need about 1/4" clearance. Also need to weld tabs for the reservoir mounts. May wrap it up next week. Also, working on subframe lift.

kbahus

Adventurer
That is too bad about the front arm clearance and hopefully easy to modify. I took a look at the pics of that white two door I posted a few pages back and the clearance in one of the pics looks pretty tight. I would vote for modifying the upper arm vs moving the lower arm mounting position. Do the Aussies have any aftermarket tubular arms available?
p1060368.jpg

Last edited:

montypower

Adventure Time!
Not that I've found... The 2door arms were reinforced and possibly shaved as well. They also appear to have reinforced the subframe. I'll probably do something similar.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I haven't had my hands on Gen 3 upper arms but i would think it would be super easy to fab up new upper arms. You could make them have the perfect width for your coilovers.
Just thinking out loud here, you may have addressed this already. I really like your idea of a smaller subframe lift kit, i've thought about this myself but i only have one friend with a gen 3 locally so access to it is limited.

montypower

Adventure Time!
Sorry for the slow updates...the portal doesn't accept pic uploads. Anyhow, I'll update it eventually. There are a bunch of pics and more current stuff here: http://gitout.com/showthread.php?15...edition-Build-2003-Mitsubishi-Montero-Limited

I'm putting together bolts and pieces for the subframe lift. I've removed all the body plastics. The rear fully clears the 35s throught the entire suspension cycle. Front clears on full compression with the tires straight (fenders cut 1") but rubs upper rear fender area when turned and fully compressed. King suspension is on with custom rear coils. Taking it on the 1st trip this weekend since installing the Kings and 2nd since installing the 35s. Installed custom switch panel in place of the CD changer with the ARB switches. FYI, the abs pump failed. Too many times being overheated on trails. It did very well overall but wouldn't recommend for heavy use (they are spendy too $400). 4.90 gears are perfect for 35s. Speedo is dead on. Once the subframe lift is done... I'll get the body work completed and rear bumper fabricated. Gotta make it look nice again. :)

Regarding the skids. I'd recommend buying the front 2. They are nicely made. The transmission and tcase skids would be easy to fabricate (nearly completely flat) and would save huge $$ shipping. You definitely should get skids. There are too many venerable components down low on these for trail use.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Why can't you use file uploader to post JPG's? Or, can you post your images to a free Flickr account, and then link them using the

montypower

Adventure Time!
Why can't you use file uploader to post JPG's? Or, can you post your images to a free Flickr account, and then link them using the tag? I've love to see this! I can't see them on your other forum either, because we aren't members.[/QUOTE]

Good question. I have no idea. Worked fine up until 6 months ago or so.... I'll spend the time to upload pictures to my server and copy / paste the links sometime. Too much hassle to deal with right now.

Monstero

Adventurer
Gotta love it when out on the trail and the abs pump overheats and you hear the beeping. It always happens at right the most hairy situations. Progress sounds good. Thanks for the update.

montypower

Adventure Time!
AUD to US exchange rate is 81% = Everything is on sale!!! Heck yeah!

Working on ordering the Aux tank direct from the manufacturer. Debating ordering some tcase gears too...

nocensorbo

Observer
let me know how you like it i am finding these for cheap and in order to save more money, if it is reliable, comfortable, and offroad capable, id sell/trade my first gen tundra for one

montypower

Adventure Time!
I like mine! Really enjoying the 35s. Rather impressive in the snow, ruts and remote tracks.

Will be taking it snow camping again in a couple weeks.

vanatee2000

Observer
just upload the photos to imgur.com and link us..it is super fast and works way better than the image uploading they have on this site...which i have had troubles with in the past as well

montypower

Adventure Time!
just upload the photos to imgur.com and link us..it is super fast and works way better than the image uploading they have on this site...which i have had troubles with in the past as well

I'll just upload to my FTP server. Just don't want to deal with it. Maybe when stuff slows down a bit.

montypower

Adventure Time!
LRA aux tank on order! Shipping was nearly free with the current exchange rates. Looking forward to about 700 mile travel range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan