Give up my Cummins for a big block Suburban?

chasespeed

Explorer
Look, I need input on the 91-00 model year Suburbans....

My wife and I will be welcoming daughter number 3 in June. She has a car, which is fine. BUT, my truck very rarely sees any road time, as I cant take everyone with me. It MOSTLY sees duty grabbing sheetrock and lumber.

I have found a good deal, on a good condition Sub... 3/4, 454, and 4x4... FIRST, I know its thirsty... how thirsty? Dont know...

I know passenger room is good. What I NEED to know, can I get a piece of 4x8 anything into the cargo area with the rear seats folded?

There isnt much in the way of places I can put a full size rig up here, so, complete off-road capability is moot at the moment. Fire and logging roads, etc, getting to some primitive camping in SOME comfort, without being cramped... I want a Quigley/Quadra Van/ U-Joint... just, not in the budget.... trying to cram the finishing touches on the renovation before the baby... THEN, I can save for the van...

Anyway.... I am having decisiveness issues.... dont really want to get rid of my truck... but, it is just sitting here.

I use a company van every day, so, the big block isnt THAT much of an issue....

Other than the IFS, and thirsty engine.... hit me with pros and cons... my wife is pretty neutral... though, she would like to have something she can drive, if I am working on the Caddy, or, more appropriately, refusing to work on the Caddy....

And its here(Domestic/Full Size), as I dont want to play the game of why I should be this Toyota, etc... I am looking to spend... 2-3000.. CASH. buy, title, insurance, etc.... I DO have a line on a truck....

Oh, it appears it IS FULLY loaded... minus leather...

I NEED something that can comfortably carry 3 daughters, and 1 wife. Then, carry some drywall, or plywood.... maybe drag the boat to the river(if I dont sell that)....

Sorry for the rambling... just need some imput..

Oh, and if I DO buy this, I WILL sell my truck.... looking to replace my oil burner with a condensing gas furnace.....

Thanks,
Chase

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
91 is a solid axle old body style

92+ is the IFS, newer(ish) body style, big block your looking at 10MPG unloaded on a good maybe 11mpg. a 31-40 gallon tank, you can get a 4x8 in the back of the 91 and older burbs, not sure on the 92+.

if it has a 700r4 or 4L60E take it to a tranny shop and have them look at it, i wont say they are week but the 700R4 has torque converter lockup issues.

if its a 3/4 ton, it has a semi float rearend but you can swap a full float in out of a truck.

personally id like a 91 burb 3/4 ton with a cummins in it

Revco

Adventurer
Hell I'd trade my Suburban 3/4-Ton 4x4, 454, 4L80E, 14FF for a 12V Cummins in a heartbeat. Not because I don't like the Suburban, but because I miss my 3 old Dodges more.

T&M Camping

You can fit 4x8 anything into the cargo area with the rear seats folded down. You will have to take out the 3rd seat tho. I have a 95 half ton. It dos all right hauling stuff around.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I had a 96 Sub for a while; 3/4 ton, Vortec 454, 4x4. Nice rig but only gets 10-11 usually. The best I ever got was about 12-13 on a long road trip to S CA. You aren't going to want to haul lumber etc in the back, think small utility trailer to tow behind Sub. That way your interior stays nice.

chasespeed

Explorer
Sorry. The truck I am looking at is a 93.... if it has the 700 behind it.... that may be a deal breaker. Not in any particular rush. 10ish is about what I was thinking... was hoping for a little better number though.

As far as the Dodge....the ONLY reason I still have it, is the Cummins..... I will probably never own another Dodge...

The semifloater isnt a deal breaker for me.

The reality, stick a set of DuraTracs on it, maybe a little taller than stock, and hopefully narrower.... and go from there....

Havent really seen any burbs of this gen... around here...

Chase

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Revco

Adventurer
Mine's a '93 with the 4l80e and full floater. I've gotten as high as 14mpg with it, but averages around 12mpg.

Calplaya

Adventurer
wow, I have an 89 Burban V1500 with the 350 under the hood and its getting 454 fuel economy! Id much rather have the bigger displacement and get the same fuel economy! I feel jipped now lol :p And I wouldnt be too concerned with the 700r4 if it hasnt towed a whole lot. Its a pretty decent tranny most of the time. Of course if its towed too much, it will break, just like any other worn out tranny. Im pretty sure I have a 700r4 behind my Burban and its got 144k on it, shifts perfect.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Keep the Dodge, get a better car. Who says you need to fit everyone into your truck? Take the car.

$3000 is kinda limiting. I can only get a box of brakes, shocks, and tires for that. LOL.

chasespeed

Explorer
Stuck with the car. Nothing will happen with that for about a year or so...

If I want to go somewhere, while she is at work, etc, and I have the kids.... I have to take them. She cant drive stick.

Besides, the Dodge is still a Dodge... and its falling apart faster than I can buy parts. The ONLY thing I will miss with the truck is the power and economy.

Yeah, 3k is very limiting. But, I am paying cash... no loans. Once the car is paid off, I will just have my mortgage. I dont have money falling out of my pockets, so.... very limited.

Chase

Last edited:

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Expy:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...pe=b&num_records=25&cardist=62&standard=false

Needs some help:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=25&cardist=349&standard=false

Oh yeah. Just needs the running boards torn off.:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...e=b&num_records=25&cardist=346&standard=false

More running boards in need of a Sawzall:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ds=25&seller_type=b&cardist=49&standard=false

I'm just not a fan of the 454. If you're ok with guzzling fuel, then look for the better GM 8.1L or Ford 6.8L or 460. Especially if you aren't towing often. Smaller V8's get the job done just as well.

Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
I kinda humored myself on a 6.5.... but, I found 2.... one with 160k for 8000, and the other, had rust/ rot issues and they wanted 4k....
I am not THAT concerned with mpg.... the car, which does the majority of the driving, average is 20 +. I need a truck one way or another..... just would be nice to load up s truck, and spend the weekend on the river somewhere... wige, kids, etc...

Chase

86cj

Explorer
The 87-95 454 had TBI injection and the 96-up Vortec 454 had MPI and alot better heads. The TBI is very simple and easy to work on, but the newer Vortec is a much better performer. I think Big Blocks went from a 400 Turbo to a 4L80 trans..........
My 98' 454 does a great job and gets 10MPG pretty much all the time..............
My nephew has been into fast Diesel pickups for a long time, he used to dragrace cars. He said he missed hearing a 454 with a couple of big Flowmasters towing a load, first good thing he said about my gas engine in years.
Your Cummins makes it's own style of music does it not? I have heard a 96 454 Suburban with a single 3 1/2" tailpipe Flowmaster and liked the song it played, would you?

chasespeed

Explorer
Honestly, been a LONG time since I have heard a big block's music. And the last one, was high rpm bottle fed screamer. Last time I drove one, was before my oldest daughter was born... but, yeah, gotta love the sound of a healthy big block gurgling up a hill...

My Cummins.... yeah, makes some noise.... I will miss that....big sticks, big turbo, big exhaust....

Got some more info on the truck today, and I am going to look at it tomorrow. Its got some miles on it, but the trans was just done(8k ago), with receipt, from a reputable shop I know. I dont know... Tiff is leaning in that direction, and I think I may be getting off the fence myself.....

Wonder what I can realistically expect to fit on it for rubber....

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998